FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The most overlooked area of education

chasbeen
There is a strange mix that goes into teaching children at various levels of development.
Educating the under 5's should be improved in every country.
I prefer the system in England compared to North America.

Here are my reasons why.
(1)The system on England is run on a shoestring
Low wages, so the women who do it are doing it for the love of it.
They enjoy the interaction between the children and enjoy them progress.
The system in North America is run by people who have to have degrees and they apply over the top rules to deliver a lot of theory. The children do not understand and do not enjoy themselves (Reduces learning potential)
(2)The parents leave the children with the pre-school playschool staff. This removes them from their parental distractions. Eg. They learn to interact independently.
In North America the parents have to stay with the children.

The above are general observations but generally these splits are accurate.

What do you think and was your experience different?
Bikerman
Well, teaching here is now largely graduate entry - 'even' primary. Teachers are also not too badly paid nowadays - 30k isn't too bad (particularly at the moment).
I speak as a teacher, so don't think I'm bellittling my profession - far from it. I also agree that primary is almost certainly the most important education any child gets.
The problem is that primary is seen as the lowest status and uni the highest. It is based on the natural tendency of people to judge a job by whether they think they could do it.
Reading and writing is something most people do, so they reason that teaching it is easy. Quantum physics is a mystery to them so teaching it must be hard.
I've taught secondary, FE and HE and I can tell you what the easiest was - by a mile - HE.
chasbeen
Interesting and thankyou for your informed reply.

I'm still in contact with my wife's playschool in England they are all taking NVQ's and they are the same crowd that had only secondary education when we left for Canada 9 years ago.

Over here in Canada my wife who has been looking after children for 20 years has been told she has to take a $5000 course that she will have to take to remain at her current level.

It's swings and roundabouts which countries best for what but for pre-school education the uk system (though apparantly funded more poorly) appears (to me at least) to yield the best results.
Bikerman
Yes, it does a pretty good job. I would identify the main weakness as maths and science - simply because many female teachers are less comfortable with those than other subjects and therefore don't pass on the enthusiasm. My mum was a primary teacher for 25 years and my wife is a secondary teacher, so I'm surrounded by the blighters....Smile
iman
I think that the education people should focus particularly on kindergarten education, since this is the time when our brain development is at its peak. I also think that they should make this cheaper to make it lighter for the parents, so they can feed their children.
harismushtaq
How does these good or bad systems are taking an overall effect. If UK has a better system then are they producing better scientists from their higher education institutions (some that follows the former claim).
chasbeen
No these earlier years of education are more about interaction with other people. The lessons learned increase the possibility of the children becoming successful adults.
This will increase their chances of being successful at significant professions.
wombatrpgs
chasbeen wrote:

Preschool teachers aren't paid well at all in the US either. It's one of those professions everyone regards as important but not warranting a decent wage. It's more seen as a problem: As lower-level teachers are paid a pittance, no one starts with that as a career goal.

chasbeen wrote:

(2)The parents leave the children with the pre-school playschool staff. This removes them from their parental distractions. Eg. They learn to interact independently.

Wait what? At least where I'm from, the parents always leave their children at the preschool. I've never heard of anyone's parents sticking around.
chasbeen
Quote:
Preschool teachers aren't paid well at all in the US either. It's one of those professions everyone regards as important but not warranting a decent wage. It's more seen as a problem: As lower-level teachers are paid a pittance, no one starts with that as a career goal.

No, I think that this is no-ones career goal. However I think the people that do it in England regard it as more of a hobby with a "by-product" of pocket-money.
Quote:
Wait what? At least where I'm from, the parents always leave their children at the preschool. I've never heard of anyone's parents sticking around.

Yes I was generalising. Of course there is that setup in Canada, but proportionally it is different. In Canada there are more places where the parents have to stay with the children.
bukaida
The pre school education is the most important thing in a child's life. It is the first interaction with the environment and new people. In india, majority of the children end their education at the pre-school levels( we call it as primary section) due to their poor economic condition. So whatever they learn at this stage serves as the guideline for their future. The education is not only 100% free at this level,but also meals are provided by the school to reduce the dropouts.
wombatrpgs
Wow, that's pretty harsh... No schooling past the age of 4?
uzeed
Chasbeen said this:

There is a strange mix that goes into teaching children at various levels of development.
Educating the under 5's should be improved in every country.
I prefer the system in England compared to North America.

Here are my reasons why.
The system in North America is run by people who have to have degrees and they apply over the top rules to deliver a lot of theory. The children do not understand and do not enjoy themselves (Reduces learning potential)

The above are general observations but generally these splits are accurate.

What do you think and was your experience different?

Mine was not so differnt any way.
gandalfthegrey
Psychology and relationships.
deanhills
I've always thought that there should be a practical course as part of their education, teaching children how to do their own personal financial planning, including how to open a banking account, how to keep financial records, how to pay bills, etc. etc. Also all the ins and outs of finances and the legal aspects of getting married and divorcing.
wombatrpgs
deanhills wrote:
I've always thought that there should be a practical course as part of their education, teaching children how to do their own personal financial planning, including how to open a banking account, how to keep financial records, how to pay bills, etc. etc. Also all the ins and outs of finances and the legal aspects of getting married and divorcing.

That would actually be really useful, both of them. Financial planning is a little complicated to teach in general apart from what's taught in elementary schools... But it is strange to think that that's all thought of as "common sense" despite the fact that it's all very confusing.