FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Smallest Linux Live CD software ?

dude_xyx
What is the smallest Linux Live CD software out there ? One which you can connect with internet. Some of the smaller Live CD versions don't have Lan card drivers.
Marcuzzo
have you checked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Linux ?
silverdown
I use Knoppix

www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
ahnguye5
Try Puppy Linux. The ISO is ~100 MB in size. I hear it has pretty good hardware support. I believe this because it one of the more popular minimal linux distros and I've used it on an old machine of mine that had some 3Com 10/100 NIC on it.
welshsteve
Puppy Linux or DSL (Damn Small Linux) are very small and don't even need a CD, if you're PC isn;t too old, you can boot from USB stick.
dude_xyx
I have used Puppy Linux and it's pretty good. My problem is most of these smaller Linux versions don't detect network card or wireless network adapter in my case.
welshsteve
I think the smaller ones are best for accessing files etc when no internet connection is present, or for attempting to recover a broken machine
debjitbiswas
i use puppy linux also .
its very good one.
gs-resume
TinyCore has a 10MB footprint. it's not exactly a "live" distro, but you can set it up to run from a USB flash drive.
mugundhan
dude_xyx wrote:
What is the smallest Linux Live CD software out there ? One which you can connect with internet. Some of the smaller Live CD versions don't have Lan card drivers.

damn small linux
puppy linux
menino
There's also another linux distro that is small and its called floppy linux, which runs off a floppy disk.
Damn Small Linux is nice too.
There is also a good small linux distro, with a friendly interface called Wolvix, based on slackware, which would be good to try out.

the link for Wolvix is http://wolvix.org.
ProwerBot
I have tried Damn Small Linux. As the name implies, it is a very small ISO and looks like it would be good for legacy machines.
ProfessorY91
ahnguye5 wrote:
Try Puppy Linux. The ISO is ~100 MB in size. I hear it has pretty good hardware support. I believe this because it one of the more popular minimal linux distros and I've used it on an old machine of mine that had some 3Com 10/100 NIC on it.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Puppy can even run WINE... though I've gotten really mixed results doing this.
NitNik
The smallest linux live-cds are TinyCoreLinux (10MB) and MicroCoreLinux (6MB) i think. MicroCore is only TinyCore without X.

Both distributions are more meta-distributions, so you shall create your very own linux with them only as a basis. When you are only a linux beginner, Puppy Linux (100MB) is a better choice for you. A good - and even smaller - alternative is Slitaz(30MB!).

Slitaz is maybe the smallest and fastest distro you can take for everyday use. Smile
cybersa
I'm new to linux.
Suggest me Best small Linux under 150-200MB.
Waiting for your suggestion.
NitNik
cybersa wrote:
I'm new to linux.
Suggest me Best small Linux under 150-200MB.
Waiting for your suggestion.

As i said, Slitaz is the smallest (or one of the smallest) distris for "normal beings", what means: boot from cd and use or install and use. It has a good repository with the most needed apps. The support is good.

Puppy Linux is a better alternative, if you're a total noobie in linux things. The support is perfect, there is a Long-Term-Support-Version called "Wary Puppy" available, and you can use Ubuntu-Packages (.deb) to install software.
Contra: Slitaz is smaller (Download 30 MB, installed 100-120 MB) and faster, so it's a good choice when you have some basic experience with Linux.

For the start, you can download both systems and test it in a virtual machine.

If you have some "exotic" hardware or wlan-usb-sticks: Forget the small distris. You can get nearly every hardware to work, but it's sometimes very hard. If you use some crazy hardware or a wlan-stick like the fritz-sticks, try Ubuntu (or Kubuntu, Xubuntu): It detects much more hardware out of the box (like this wlan-sticks, but it's much bitter (600-700 MB to download).
cybersa
Thanks man.
I think Puppy Linux will help me.
I have some experience with Ubuntu.

Then i'm going to install it on My USB Pendrive.
NitNik
cybersa wrote:
Thanks man.
I think Puppy Linux will help me.
I have some experience with Ubuntu.

Then i'm going to install it on My USB Pendrive.

If you can use Ubuntu, Puppy Linux should be no problem for you. Smile

I am actually creating a OpenSuse-Derivate with SuseStudio, it will be a bit over 200 MB in size (later i'll try to bring it under 200 MB). If you are interested to test it, contact me. Wink
I'm playing around with Woof (a toolkit for creating puppy-derivates) too, but it looks like i'm too stupid for it. Razz
AlessandroG
look here
http://distrowatch.com/
nsatmail
gs-resume wrote:
TinyCore has a 10MB footprint. it's not exactly a "live" distro, but you can set it up to run from a USB flash drive.