FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Thoughts on windows phone 7?

lightwate
Microsoft's Windows 7 OS is so far the best OS I had ever used and i hope their windows phone 7 (to be released by the end of the year)OS will be the same.

But i think there are a some problems they'll encounter:
- making an entirely new user interface might be a very risky move for them cause the android/iOS app icons aren't giving any problems
- One thing that makes the iphone a good phone is the smoothness and reactiveness of the touch screen. So far the phone (that i've tried) closest to the iphone's display and touch screen is a samsung phone.
- Apps.

Personally, i want them to succeed in making a very good phone because i want to program using the .net framework haha. what do you think? will windows phone 7 be a success?
r4inm4ker
i don't think i'll be a huge success because it's not specifically designed for mobile & touch devices , unlike android OS and Iphone OS. And with the popularity of those two and the large app market, i think it will be very hard for MS to compete with them. (both google and apple a massive company too, they won't be intimidated by MS funding power either, lol).
Ankhanu
I have reservations towards MS mobile OSes Razz But putting that aside, I think they're going to have a hell of a time breaking into the market. Their prior mobile OSes have flopped, and they're going against Android and iOS, which are both very solid platforms with great options... even RIM is having difficulty keeping up these days, and that says a LOT about the market.
ahnguye5
lightwate wrote:
Microsoft's Windows 7 OS is so far the best OS I had ever used and i hope their windows phone 7 (to be released by the end of the year)OS will be the same.

But i think there are a some problems they'll encounter:
- making an entirely new user interface might be a very risky move for them cause the android/iOS app icons aren't giving any problems
- One thing that makes the iphone a good phone is the smoothness and reactiveness of the touch screen. So far the phone (that i've tried) closest to the iphone's display and touch screen is a samsung phone.
- Apps.

Personally, i want them to succeed in making a very good phone because i want to program using the .net framework haha. what do you think? will windows phone 7 be a success?

Microsoft had no choice but to relaunch their platform because Windows Mobile was simply not cutting it. I agree that the UI that they've come up with is risky but it's also different. It'll definitely stand out and give them a better chance than if they were to just put out a similar UI to Android and iOS. We've all seen previews of the OS and I personally like the "blocks" interface because you can see previews of whatever without having to launch the app -- it looks more sophisticated and business-like.

I don't know the hardware specs or the manufacturer of the phone that's been showcasing the OS but, based on a review from Engadget , the phone had quite a snappy UI. It was compared to the Blackberrry Torch; Windows Phone was faster in general especially when rendering web pages. Big ups.
FunDa
I sure hope that mobile OS come with good security as well as good application support. Nowadays, a mobile is only as good as the Apps it can run, and iPhone and Android are having more apps than you can browse trough in a few days.

Only if these apps for windows mobile too had a good app store with samples and details for all the apps, it would have a fighting chance.
lonnieinskeep
I completely agree with you,
Ankhanu wrote:
I have reservations towards MS mobile OSes Razz But putting that aside, I think they're going to have a hell of a time breaking into the market. Their prior mobile OSes have flopped, and they're going against Android and iOS, which are both very solid platforms with great options... even RIM is having difficulty keeping up these days, and that says a LOT about the market.

Thanks for sharing that.
driftingfe3s
I really like the look of Windows Phone 7. From the videos that I've seen, it looks very fast. Which is good change, becuase I had a Windows Mobile 6.4, or whatever version it was, and it was sooooooo SLOW!

I agree that the interface is not what people are use to but from what i've seen it's quite simple and easy to use. The plain icon interface that the other smartphones use seem so plain compared windows 7 phone's interface.

I also like the fact that if you buy a video or song from the marketplace, it will be available on your PC, Xbox 360, and your windows 7 phone. I think microsoft did a great job with xbox live and what it did for the 360, if they do something similar to the marketplace, windows 7 phone will be great.

Some of the things I don't like about windows 7 phone is:
-no cut and paste. What's up with that, the iphone was heavly criticized for it and now microsoft is gonna follow their mistake. And with windows 7 phone touting that it will have a mobile verison of Microsoft office on it, it makes even less sense why it doesn't have cut and paste.
-no tethering. Originally it was going to be supported, but from what I last read, it won't be.
-no multitasking.
badai
i heard all applications that runs on current windows mobile (6, 6.5) won't run on wm7. so i might stuck with my wm 6.5.