FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Nicknames

tingkagol
I was wondering if it's possible to have a "nickname" in addition to the username. When posting, the nickname will then be displayed instead of the username. The username is still used during log-in.

Reason for this is to keep search engines from capturing usernames when crawling through the site, keeping user anonymity. The username isn't particularly the real identity of a user, of course. But for prolific posters who use the same username throughout the internet (for the sake of not forgetting), their username somewhat 'becomes' their identity. I'm not big on having other people search my username on google and thereby displaying my forum posts, accounts, etc.

What do you think?
Blaster
Only to play the devils advocate here don't you think people would be using this name to google you instead? I personally like the name Blaster and use it just about everywhere in some form. However if you search it i doubt you will find any of my posts because it is such a generic name.

Also by now changing the names could be bad SEO work for bondings as some people may search for specific names like tidruG or Bondings or n0obie4life or something similar.
tingkagol
Blaster wrote:
Only to play the devils advocate here don't you think people would be using this name to google you instead?

Sure they can, and it would only display your posts in this forum, not to mention it has to be unique to end up high in the search results. But they won't be able to connect that nickname to your username on the internet.

I guess the real problem is my choice of username. I wish I had chosen a generic username such as yours. Even my real name would have been better.
deanhills
@tingkagol. Perhaps you could start a new name? Ask Bondings if that is OK? Let go of the old one. Without transfer of postings.
Hogwarts
Why not just .. sign up with a new username? o_o

Personally, I think a more useful suggestion would be a way to log into Frihost using email address and password. In that case, it wouldn't matter how garbled your username was; as you wouldn't be using it to log in.
tingkagol
deanhills wrote:
@tingkagol. Perhaps you could start a new name? Ask Bondings if that is OK? Let go of the old one. Without transfer of postings.

I was thinking about that actually, but I wouldn't want to risk forgetting usernames in the future.

Hogwarts wrote:
Personally, I think a more useful suggestion would be a way to log into Frihost using email address and password. In that case, it wouldn't matter how garbled your username was; as you wouldn't be using it to log in.

I was thinking more like this. Plus the option to edit your username.
Hogwarts
tingkagol wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:

I was thinking more like this. Plus the option to edit your username.

I do, however, disagree with that. The option to edit your username is kind of silly; as you're essentially changing your identity on the website.. which would kind of defeat the purpose of having a username in the first place. Not to mention, all quotes of you/etc. would be broken, which is too much trouble on behalf of the resident developer (Bondings).

A more appropriate idea would be to close your current account and create a new one, I think Sad
SonLight
tingkagol,

I did a google search on your username, and I understand your concern. While it's good to have an internet-wide identity that's still separated from your actual name, I'm pretty sure someone could find your name from your username. If frihost gave you a nickname, that would disconnect your posts here from those on other sites, however I don't think it would help you much unless you got a lot of other sites to do the same.

I chose a username on purpose which is not related to my real name, and I consider at a plus if I can use the same one on other sites and be recognized as the same person. I need to be careful not to use SonLight in connection with any site where my name appears if I want anonymity though. I believe Bondings has a similar policy, as I've seen his userid repeated on webmaster-related forums.