FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Unistalling Ubuntu 9.10

ankur209
I have Ubuntu with dual boot with windows 7...I want to get Ubuntu out of my PC...But my friend told me if i'll delete the partition of ubuntu it will delete the boot manager also,,"Grub"...

so i want to know how to safely remove ubuntu without formatting the PC n widout gettin' any loss of data...!!
Asap170
If you partitioned it you might be able to re-partion the Ubuntu HDD... I'm not sure other than that.
Jean-Clod
I am not sure about that, but maybe try to (from windows):

- if ubuntu is on a different HDD, simply format it, if not, delete the ubuntu volume, and extend the Windows volume (easy to do on windows 7) over the deleted one
if the ubuntu volume is 'before' the windows one, you cannot extend the second; but you can create another volume that you can use on windows

-then (without rebooting), use BCDEdit, I think there's a "windows boot recovery" thing, try it, or search on TEH INTERNETZ

if windows still doesn't work, try booting the install disk, there are several tools, especially in 7, that help recover
Fire Boar
Don't know why you'd want to do something like that. Smile

It's quite simple to do though. Delete the ubuntu partition(s) and then put in the Windows 7 install CD, choosing "repair installation". It searches your computer a bit trying to figure out what the cause is, and it will find that your master boot record is not pointing to the Windows bootloader and fix it.
Jean-Clod
Fire Boar wrote:
put in the Windows 7 install CD, choosing "repair installation". It searches your computer a bit trying to figure out what the cause is, and it will find that your master boot record is not pointing to the Windows bootloader and fix it.

you're right, but even if it is sometimes really straightforward, the install disc repair has not always been reliable for me, so I prefer avoiding it and using BCDEdit Razz
ahnguye5
How did you install Ubuntu? Did you use Wubi? If so, you can just uninstall as you would a program.
ankur209
Sorry for disturbing u guys...!!

It was really a simple task to remove UBUNTU...

I just uninstalled it from the Add/Remove Programs....!!

Anyways thanx guys for ur help...!! Razz
FunDa
ankur209 wrote:

That's good to know. You must have used Wubi then. It is a bit slower than regular Linux installations, but its very very easy to uninstall as you just discovered.
misterXY
ankur209 wrote:

l nearly dropped lol-ing
loyal
If you didn't have wubi, but you had a proper installation of ubuntu, what you would do is use the Windows CD to repair the boot and that should, i think, replace grub2. Then you delete the ubuntu partitions from within windows.

Peace.