FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

frequent lan crashes

cowboyx
ok I share an internet connection with my mom and she has a wirless router and I have a normal one. the connect via cable and for some reason my computer will say network cable unplugged and then plug right back in again. . . . whats the deal?
gonzo
What brand and model:

wireless router, your router, your NIC, your OS

What is your cable rated? Do you like cheese?
donj
I think it is a problem with the cable, you should try another one. You should also check if the cable is RJ45. (You need that one Very Happy )
Aelita
From the way i read that you have two routers? I hope not... but if one of you have a wireless access card, and its being disconnected then you cant really do anything about that except get a new router or range expander. If the cable connected card is the problem you need to get a new cable or a shorter on. There is such a thing as too much cable..
carlokes
Theres nothing wrong in having 2 routers in the same LAN if they are well configured...I myself have 2 routers in my LAN and i dont have any kind of problem...

Remember that, as said, you need RJ45 cable and the apropriate connections. There are some applications that tell if you have any problem on the cable...run one of them.

Be sure that both routers have the automatic DHCP turn off because if they don't both will be trying to assign you an ip...which will result in a conflict...
SoftStag
The fact that the problem is intermittent suggests that there is a poor connection somewhere. This is usually down to the cable, however it could be a faulty router or network card. You need to do some trials with new cables, and plugging in to different sockets to see if you can locate the fault.
NuniPio
try using a different router and see if you get the same problem (take your comp to a mates house or something) if you do then its either the cable or your lan card. try updating drivers. hope that helps
Prabhu Raj
There r 2 possible reasons to this problem
1. the cat5 cable connector that u r using might be broken
2. you migt have a loose connection with your network adaptor card
Correct this and the problem is resolved
If it isnt resolved try changing the network interface card.
Have a nice day
Regards
Prabhu Raj
gnomme
cowboyx wrote:
ok I share an internet connection with my mom and she has a wirless router and I have a normal one. the connect via cable and for some reason my computer will say network cable unplugged and then plug right back in again. . . . whats the deal?

check the cable Idea
bananaphone
check your DHCP settings
bogden
i'd say, grab a different pci NIC (or wifi NIC, whatever you use), so the switch of network driver should subvert the problem. it sounds like an intersting problem tho; i'm sure something educational will come out of it Smile