FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Facebook? Social Networks?

pll
Do you think that new social networks like facebook or Twitter changed the way you feel the relations between you and your friends?
I think it changed myself a little bit, it's always good to hear to good/bad news about your friends, it's a positive point but in another negative way I think it's sad that people lessly communicate face to face and they prefer to let know news about them on these social sites.

Did it change a part of your life ?
ankur209
Yeah....It helped me out to know more bout my friends...!!
jilbs
facebook helps people find their long lost relatives. I know someone in my country where he found his childhood sweetheart after 40 years. he is single and she is widowed. And you know it they god married Very Happy thanks to facebook. "connecting people"

on the other hand, we should be careful in using facebook specially in uploading files. who knows someone will steal your identity. that's pretty messed up if that happens.

Oh well that's what i can say for now.

cheers.
nah022
of course it did, it make us further
andysart380
facebook helped me connect with people i thought i would never see again...i think its only done better in this one way, other than that i cant stand what some people write on this frigging thing, honestly i think it has sucked some people in way too much. They are addicts, and need to realize that the world isnt all about facebook

The more Facebook friends you have the less real friends you have.
the-guide
andysart380 wrote:
facebook helped me connect with people i thought i would never see again...i think its only done better in this one way, other than that i cant stand what some people write on this frigging thing, honestly i think it has sucked some people in way too much. They are addicts, and need to realize that the world isnt all about facebook

The more Facebook friends you have the less real friends you have.

Pessimism? Just use it properly and you will find it useful. Wink
iyepes
Facebook allowed me to find people I've lost contact many years ago, like my school mates. Many of them live abroad now, so, this is the only practical way we have to know about each other.

I really prefer face to face contact, but if it is not possible, is good to know about their marriages and children through internet.

For my friends I live in the same city, obviously it would be better a coffee time than a chat time, however some people is so addicted to work (including me sometimes), that you only can see them online.
AnnabelleR
Yes....A lot
It is a common social site that can be used as u want...If you have a group of friends than it is easy to use this other wise you can get bored on it ...
For me yes it has changed me before the Facebook I have no such online community of my friends but after this i have a lot of friends inside and out side o my country ......
These friends can be positive and negative and can give suggestions
hunnyhiteshseth
Oh yes it surely has. infact i am seeing lot of activity in one affecting my relations in other.
zbale
There's some research out there that's been done on the subject (I'd have to look for it to give specific references).

It seems that people who interact via social network websites with existing friends whom they also see face-to-face feel generally happier and less alone.

On the other hand, people who interact on those websites with people they don't know in the world "outside" tend to feel more lonely and less happy.
ankur209
Quote:
It seems that people who interact via social network websites with existing friends whom they also see face-to-face feel generally happier and less alone.

On the other hand, people who interact on those websites with people they don't know in the world "outside" tend to feel more lonely and less happy.

That is absolutely right...Even i feel that the above mentioned survey is done on me .. Laughing
gipsy
It did not change my life, but it does make contact with overseas friends easier.
macky
it just communication with long time and never seen friend... sometimes i do appreciate it...
zbale
iyepes wrote:
Facebook allowed me to find people I've lost contact many years ago, like my school mates. Many of them live abroad now, so, this is the only practical way we have to know about each other.

I really prefer face to face contact, but if it is not possible, is good to know about their marriages and children through internet.

For my friends I live in the same city, obviously it would be better a coffee time than a chat time, however some people is so addicted to work (including me sometimes), that you only can see them online.

Yeah, actually it tends to become a kind of a weird problem: people spend more time at work, during which time they sometimes interact with the same facebook friends that they no longer have the time to see because they're at work... crazy world...
dracyruiz
Internet is very useful in each and every field. There are many websites in internet. Facebook is best social networking website as well as its famous and great website. Due to this we can touch with our relatives and friends also we share our photo and video with each other.
Mechallama
Yes, helped me keep in touch with my old friends and such. Very helpful and I like it a lot.
gh0strec0n_legit
I am always on facebook and I just don't do anything on it. I don't really connect with anyone but its great to see pictures of people and to hear about what they are doing with their lives but I also feel like I am wasting my time on it, like I could be using my time more wisely. So while I am always on facebook I don't like being on it all the time. Its weird; it's like a love/hate relationship.
Huntress
pll wrote:
Do you think that new social networks like facebook or Twitter changed the way you feel the relations between you and your friends?
I think it changed myself a little bit, it's always good to hear to good/bad news about your friends, it's a positive point but in another negative way I think it's sad that people lessly communicate face to face and they prefer to let know news about them on these social sites.

Did it change a part of your life ?

I think it changed me in a way that I learned of who I can truly trust and learn who among my supposed friends has another side. The downpart of the keeping in contact and updated in social networks is that it leads to trouble more often than not... like someone tends to rant on line or something... but other than that, when used properly and responsibly, I think its a great invention! Smile
pll
and with your love relationships ?
Now we know people were able to see old firends/get new friends with social networks.

What's about beginning a real relationship from them?
Do you like to meet girls/boys you never knew before on internet ?
deanhills
pll wrote:
What's about beginning a real relationship from them?
Do you like to meet girls/boys you never knew before on internet ?
I prefer the real thing. I.e. seeing and experiencing people in real life on a face to face basis. I'm probably also not trusting enough to ever be able to form a romantic relationship with someone I've never met before. Just does not feel real to me.
Very Happy
HelloRoshan
In someways, i dislike facebook a lot, and in other ways, i absolutely love it. The cool thing about it is that it's so easy to understand and it creates a means for individuals to create and build relationships with their circle of friends and family. on the other side of the spectrum ... it's kinda possessed society. seriously, it's everywhere and i feel like superficial means of communication like facebook is starting to make life a little less personal.. but that may just be me. SERIOUSLY THOUGH, it's EVERYWHERE. even typing this post, it's telling me that facebook is spelled wrong and should be capitalized. 0.o
shivaghimire
Facebook has joined me with my old pals. It has made me close with the existing friends and relatives. But using facebook, me and many friends be online and forget other duty to do. They stopped to learn. It made us lazy, we can control us and use it at fixed time, but we normally don't do this.
Its sure,
'Facebook is running forward but it kicked us backward'.
loremar
People should see eye to eye. You shouldn't be relying on facebook to improve your friendship. You should give up even a small amount of time to meet with your friends. The problem with people is we are too busy in front of the keyboard, we don't have time to have physical contact with our friends. The best way to know a person more and establish more trust is to be with them (as in physically).
rogue_skydragon
Facebook has definitely changed the way I look at friends and my social circles. I prefer face-to-face contact, but it isn't always possible, so a quick facebook message or comment would suffice. I wouldn't necessarily say that social networking sites have made people more distant. It's only just changed the means by which we stay connected. Instead of saying so long forever to a mate you've met while abroad, you can keep tabs on each others lives through an online profile.
chic4u03
i helps me by commnication to my family on other country & friends too..
Da Rossa
No, it didn't change anything essentially. It only makes easier to find and get acquainted to someone, but the exposure has only brought a few annoyances such as "people saying 'how gorgeous' you are" to your girlfriend and so on. The mutual trust of a relationship should never be shaken by Facebook.
lrj945
Though the facebook is fantasy, it haven't changed my life.
rajpk
hmm
just internet.. and spoiling privacy
davidv
Social networking has definitely affected how most people interact with their friends, family and people in general. That's why there's so much controversy regarding "fake" friends and "real" friends. Facebook, Twitter, Google+ have all played a part in helping us connect with co-workers, childhood friends, forgotten loved ones etc. Whether it be negative or positive really depends on how you look at it.

I for one never really got into the social networking. I recall my first ever account was on Bebo which was probably 4-5 years ago? Never got into social networking then and never will get into it now. Consequently, it hasn't changed part of my life and I'm glad it hasn't. People spend too much time on these social networking websites. It's a procrastination tool, a waste of time and a stupid lie. People think they're social because they have over 1,000 friends. Big whoop.
asnani04
Facebook has changed us. In fact, it has revolutionized our relationships - both for the positive and the negative.
It is a way of communicating with those we don't know (primarily). In this way, we do help increase our wing span in the world, but in a way, we devote less time to those people who count more.
srjrol
I hate this with a passion. Facebook and Google are both just gaining as much information as people will willingly give them to directly market that information to advertisers for profit.
Da Rossa
Ive never seen an advertisement on Facebook. I know they are there, but do they really bother? Do you really care about someoe offering you the exact solution you "need"? You're just one in 800 millions. Don't feel special when regarding to being violated.
cresvale
Yes , maybe a little bit.
FastDebrid
Facebook has indeed become integrated in our lives but I don't think it had a big change in my life.
Mrs Lycos
srjrol wrote:
I hate this with a passion. Facebook and Google are both just gaining as much information as people will willingly give them to directly market that information to advertisers for profit.

It's not to advertisers. Apart from them, who do you think will want information about millions of people? And for free...

Da Rossa wrote:
Ive never seen an advertisement on Facebook. I know they are there, but do they really bother? Do you really care about someoe offering you the exact solution you "need"? You're just one in 800 millions. Don't feel special when regarding to being violated.

And being violated doesn't only mean your privacy - that, you're giving it away freely. I hope it never happens to you, and you can tell the same thing to "normal" people whose identity has been stolen, or have suffered any kind of wrongdoing against them on a social network.
Insanity
I suppose it is true, but if you are that concerned about your online privacy, best stay out of it yourself. That way, these companies don't have any information about you. Of course, it's hard when all your friends and family are on these social networks and there is so much pressure to be on them yourself.

Anything that you post online can be potentially seen by everyone on the Internet, so it makes sense to not include information online that you don't want to be seen by this audience.
codersfriend
You can't just find your friends on email Smile
Social network like Facebook just made things easier
Mrs Lycos
Insanity wrote:
I suppose it is true, but if you are that concerned about your online privacy, best stay out of it yourself. That way, these companies don't have any information about you. Of course, it's hard when all your friends and family are on these social networks and there is so much pressure to be on them yourself.

Anything that you post online can be potentially seen by everyone on the Internet, so it makes sense to not include information online that you don't want to be seen by this audience.

True, but even if you don't include yourself in those social networks -and your whole family and friends are- then you will eventually find your pictures, comments of you and your actions commented and posted on others' profiles. You can't go around forbidding your relatives and friends and coworkers to post anything about you... Exclamation

The matter here is who gets the information and what they do with it. If someone may comment anything and some people -in government, in power, etc- don't like it, they probably get flagged and/or blacklisted. They may be tagging everyone around, how do you think they monitor the net for possible hackings, terrorist attacks, etc.
GuidanceReader
Facebook helped me reconnect and stay connected to those who I don't have a continued relationship with, which I see as a good thing. It has also helped me form and strengthen new friendships. But it has also removed the element of face-face necessity which means I now feel very lonely. All my friends interact with me via a screen these days... not much of a social life. Sad
ankur209
Facebook for me is a website where i can find news,updates to keep myself abreast ! Te good thing is the groups and friends ,with them we can keep in touch ! Smile

I love it ! even the concept of social network is not that bad ! Laughing
andro_king
Facebook is fantastic, it is no different to any other activity. Everything great in this world is ruined by greed and predatory behaviour. In a town of 50,000 people everybody locks their doors because there are a very small number of people who may steal. Wisdom is realising that whether one locks their door or leaves it open does not alleviate the fact that anything in this world that one can imagine is possible, if everyone locks their door, the focus changes from turning a knob, to the weakest lock! it's easy to connect with people, as there's usually someone there who, even if I haven't met them before, I've probably seen their name and comments floating around FB via some mutual friend - so breaking the ice is a lot easier at real-world social events as well.I am curious as to whether critics of Facebook ride bicycles next to semi-trailers and believe they are safe because they have medical insurance. I would not be surprised if this was the case.
deanhills
@andro_king: I'd be curious to know why you are raving as much about Facebook. What is really that great about it? Question
andro_king
deanhills wrote:
@andro_king: I'd be curious to know why you are raving as much about Facebook. What is really that great about it? Question
heehee.. nothing personal all official.. working in facebook india..
Segia
As long as people properly make use of these new technologies and do not let them control or ruin their lives, yeah, both are great ways to keep in touch. Like every technology, it depends on the users' behavior.