FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Really bored? Taekwando

chasbeen
Taekwando.
I took it up 6 months ago and I am very happy with it.
It is mostly about self defense but don't go thinking your going to be the next super hero.
One of the main aspects is that it shows you how weak the human body is.
You learn about body coordination and even strange "body energy lessons"

It therefore touches on:
Improving mind
Improving health
Improving fitness

Coloured belts are tested about every 3 months at my place/club.

It costs me $50 Canadian every month.

I'm going for "ORANGE" tomorrow.
PureReborn
I been thinking about signing up for some sort of martial arts lesson, since I don't enjoying lifting weights enough to work out at a gym regularly.

How often do you practice and how long/tiring is each practice?

Congrats on your progress.
chasbeen
Actually I have been doing it since last November, so i'm getting to a year and the next test is for "GREEN"
Quote:
I been thinking about signing up for some sort of martial arts lesson, since I don't enjoying lifting weights enough to work out at a gym regularly.

It's hard to keep the motivation for weights. I found a good book and I have been weightlifting, three times a week for the last year also.
Big thing there is , I use free weights and I slip a 40 minute session in at home.

Martial arts is twice a week after work. I am sometimes tired when I go but never regret it after having gone.

Hope you take it up!
menino
I think taekwondo is a nice martial art, but quite tiring.
But I'll check it out, and see how it goes a for a few months.
chasbeen
Be aware that no 2 DOJANGS are the same.

You are definitely better off choosing Taekwando over the newer fashion fighting places already.

Taekwando has 30 million black belts world wide but is loosing some numbers to the newer fashion fighting places.

At the newer fashion fighting places my young nephew complained about the animosity and bullying. This is not the experience you want to have (Unless you want to inflict bullying and pain to people).

At my Taekwando Dojang there is usually 12-15 in attendance and it is about self-defence. Everyone is warned not to use it in a real situation or face criminal proceedings.

At some Taekwando Dojangs they handle people who are determined to use their "new found skill" to hurt and bully.

The good Dojang will ask these people to go elsewhere and return any funds that were given before the student started. Note that nearly all local Taekwando DOJANGS are probably ok, but you still have to look out for new students with the wrong ideas.

Remember it's the few that spoil it for the majority.
loyal
I tried doing Aikido which is a combination of many oriential martial arts, but I didn't find it very memorable or effective. I suppose Taekwando is better?

Peace.
Ankhanu
chasbeen wrote:
You are definitely better off choosing Taekwando over the newer fashion fighting places already.

This is incredibly subjective. Tae Kwan Do is a fine art, but its utility and quality are really dependent upon your body, mind set and situation. It definitely has its weaknesses.
This is why there are so many different arts; they all excel at different things; no art is the "best". Tae Kwan Do is very fast and has a long reach... however, it has very little utility in close quarters, or in grappling, for example. A trade off for its speed is relatively high stances, with a high center of gravity (reduced stability, easy to get knocked down) and a reduction in power. Compare that to, say, Shotokan Karate, which has low, wide stances and much slower techniques; Shotokan practitioners are more stable and powerful than those of Tae Kwan Do; they're also more experienced with grappling and close range defense.
Ankhanu
loyal wrote:
I tried doing Aikido which is a combination of many oriential martial arts, but I didn't find it very memorable or effective. I suppose Taekwando is better?

Peace.

Aikido is one of THE most effective defensive arts. You must have had an unmotivated sensei :/
Aikido is one of the younger arts, being about... 80 years old, formed with a fascinating code of ethics. Defense with minimal harm; it's really quite brilliant. Plus it's visually fascinating, it's incredible to see all the different throw techniques and redirection that are central to the art.

It saddens me that you had a bad experience with it :/
chasbeen
loyal and Ank
All I can tell you is I enjoy going. I have friends there and the whole thing is doing my brain some good.

I did speak with some authority on one other person doing another type of martial arts.

I suppose we are each an expert in that field but I stand by my remarks that there are some not so good clubs and usually all clubs let you visit and practice a couple of times before signing.

Tread careful.
Ankhanu
You're absolutely correct that some clubs have some... questionable ethical stances. Even within a single club you can find examples of individuals with positive and negative ethical stances regarding the art.
ribozon
Trained in capoeira a lot but i'd like to try taekwondo seems like ill start to training it in this month
chasbeen
Don't know capoeira

but something is there in Taekwando.

People who think they are the masters after a dozen lessons don't go far.

Hardest belt in Taekwando?
YELLOW

Reality check. Most give up before then.

Fpr me (Only Orange) I see Green is relatively easy. Belt tests every 3-4 months.

Biggest change is Mauve to Red-A lot to learn in 3-4 months.
Ankhanu
ribozon wrote:
Trained in capoeira a lot but i'd like to try taekwondo seems like ill start to training it in this month

If you have capoeira, tae kwan do will be no problem for you, I think.
It will take a little bit of a different mental approach, but capoeira already provides you with a lot of the speed and dexterity TKD requires. You'll just be upright all the time, instead of all over the place Smile TKD doesn't really have any ground work and has limited close combat techniques, it focuses on long-range attack/defense, largely using the feet/legs for reach and speed. Traditional TKD has almost no hand strikes and no ground work. Marrying the two, capoeira and TKD, would make for a fairly robust fighting style; both are somewhat acrobatic and they kind of cover one another's weaknesses.
cmhcjj
wow!! I'm from South Korea and I'm impressed that taekwondo is in Canada too!!! In Korea, taekwondo is a popular sport~
Ankhanu
cmhcjj wrote:
wow!! I'm from South Korea and I'm impressed that taekwondo is in Canada too!!! In Korea, taekwondo is a popular sport~

It's global... heck, it's been an Olympic sport since 2000!
I was in Songham Taekwondo when I was involved (I've also done some Jui Jitsu, Shotokan Karate and a little Ken Jutsu/Gumdo). It was interesting, but, in the end, I simply couldn't afford classes anymore.
dude_xyx
I had done Karate for more than 10 years but then had to stop. Now I want to start doing Ikido. Just couldn't fine time yet. First basics might not look much but if you can continue its one of the most effective martial arts style.
chasbeen
I always joke with people who ask me what it's like at the dojang.

"It's improving...
I used to go there and get thrown around the training area and against the wall. Now I'm getting better and actually knocking people over (but they don't reach the wall yet)"

Complete fiction Wink
Cliffer
oh,it's a good sport . is it hard to train?
gandalfthegrey
I must be really bored.
CheDragon
I practice budotaijutsu ninjutsu. It is awesome! you really learn lots of stuff
watersoul
Good to hear you're enjoying your art Chasbeen, any discipline is always better than none at all.
My personal interest has always been Wing Chun Kung Fu, it's less wasteful with energy and movement (eg: kicks are simple and downwards breaking knees/shins only) and the triangle stance cannot be beaten for stability and power.
I've never been disciplined enough to follow the code long enough for grading or 'belts' but thats probably because my close friends run a kung-fu gym so I've always sparred with them and been involved in a little private 'fight club' which has given me far more 'practical' knowledge/skills than any boring (repetative) lesson ever would.
Ankhanu
watersoul wrote:
... been involved in a little private 'fight club' which has given me far more 'practical' knowledge/skills than any boring (repetative) lesson ever would.

Ah, but the repetition has great value. It's one thing to learn the skills/moves, it's another altogether to have them ingrained as muscle memory and reflex. You only develop that through hours of repetition.
airtrecklegends
i don't know taekwon seems nice and flashy but will it work when i'm in need of self defense

I practice Judo( 5 years) and Boxing(3 weeks) and Judo have saved myself some times i think Taekwon like other martial arts lost its effectivness after being nerded to a sport since it lost most of his actually everyday situation Techniques
watersoul
Ankhanu wrote:
watersoul wrote:
... been involved in a little private 'fight club' which has given me far more 'practical' knowledge/skills than any boring (repetative) lesson ever would.

Ah, but the repetition has great value. It's one thing to learn the skills/moves, it's another altogether to have them ingrained as muscle memory and reflex. You only develop that through hours of repetition.

OK, I'll agree with that, I guess I've only ever felt inspired to learn enough to keep the average guy subdued. Laziness I suppose, but if I'm sparring with experienced friends and my tactics work, then the technical details of why don't matter much to me.
Ankhanu
Yeah, I know what you mean, Watersoul.

I haven't learned enough to be relevant in a real-life situation, but I can spar with skilled fighters... there's a difference in intent between the two, and no matter what, your sparring partner isn't going to pull the same crap, now the same intensity as a real encounter (as I'm sure you know based on some facts you've revealed in other discussions). Sparring, while fast paced, does allow for some thought and consideration of action, a real fight relies more on ingrained reflexes. I'm glad I've never had to rely on those reflexes, 'cause I need time to think Wink
ham65
Taekwando is a good sport man,if this make you happy,just do it.

Don΄t care what they say.