FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Change the Windows Logon screen

ankur209
Hey Everyone....Do any one knows How to change the boot screen in XP or WIN 7...

I don't need a third part application....I want steps to change it via regedit(Registry Editor).

Reply Idea
medesignz
I second that... That could really mess with my brothers head! HAHA
Marcuzzo
ankur209 wrote:
Hey Everyone....Do any one knows How to change the boot screen in XP or WIN 7...

I don't need a third part application....I want steps to change it via regedit(Registry Editor).

Reply Idea

It doesn't work that way, because the Boot Screen image, is actually a resource located in the Windows kernel file ntoskrnl.exe.
You might be able to use resedit or reshacker and automate the stuff with a script.

but simply editing the registry wont work
william
It's usually easier and safer to do it with a third party application. I had a setup like that some time ago using themes from ThemeXP.

If you want to do it without a third party program, you can use a theme from the above site, go into C:\Windows\System32 and edit a file called ntoskrnl.exe in safe mode. I don't recall all of the steps from memory, so I'll post a link when I find it.

But again, you'd really be better off with a third party application. Easier to manage and much less likely to go wrong. Bootskin is what I would suggest using.
jdelfire
not a good idea... keeping your pc plain and simple... is safer... dont fancy your pc too much... imo...
^_^
Fire Boar
jdelfire wrote:
not a good idea... keeping your pc plain and simple... is safer... dont fancy your pc too much... imo...
^_^

One of my biggest gripes with Windows right there. It's unsafe to change the way it looks. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
medesignz
jdelfire wrote:
^_^

I agree... it should only be done if part of an organisation branding scheme. If at all...
Nemesis234
Fire Boar wrote:
jdelfire wrote:
^_^

One of my biggest gripes with Windows right there. It's unsafe to change the way it looks. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

windows is a tool to allow other programs to run. why would microsoft waste their time making it possible for users to change everything, this will only cause problems, make it look unprofessional and slow the system down.
Fire Boar
Nemesis234 wrote:
windows is a tool to allow other programs to run. why would microsoft waste their time making it possible for users to change everything, this will only cause problems, make it look unprofessional and slow the system down.

Because the users might want to change things? From a corporate point of view (Microsoft's), there's certainly no real benefit in allowing users to customize the boot screen. But from the user's point of view, there's every chance that people might not want to be reminded that they are using Windows by Microsoft every time they start up their computer. They might want some variety, something that makes their computer their own.

Proprietary products such as Windows, in general they are geared towards making the company as much money as possible. Open-source products, on the other hand, are geared towards the user, partly because the developers very often are the users.
loyal
Change the Windows Logon screen?
You meant the Boot screen, not the windows logon screen.
If anyone's interested in changing the windows logon screen, check out this link: http://tweaks.com/software/tweakslogon/

Peace.
ankur209
I asked for windows Boot screen not for logon screen...!!
loyal
ankur209 wrote:
I asked for windows Boot screen not for logon screen...!!

lol I know. I just pointed out you put the wrong word in the topic title. Wink
I included a link for changing logon screen for those who click on the topic wanting to change their logon screen.

Peace.
ankur209
ok...thanks for that...!! Cool
metalfreek
I would not recommend playing around with registry to change boot skin because I once did that and my system was screwed. I had to format the drive.

Using Third party application is only thing that I can recommend.
dazzsser
Why would you want to change it in the first place??? Messing with the registry is not safe unless you know what you are doing or unless you have a backup.
misterXY
dazzsser wrote:
Why would you want to change it in the first place??? Messing with the registry is not safe unless you know what you are doing or unless you have a backup.

If you haveto ask how-to use registry too pull off tricks, dont bother. Learn more about the registry first and if you feel safe then go nuts. Until then, go third party.
samuelk
i used tuneup utilities to change mine,including the start logo
loyal
metalfreek wrote:
I would not recommend playing around with registry to change boot skin because I once did that and my system was screwed. I had to format the drive.

Wouldn't using the Windows cd to repair booting fix it?

Peace.