FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Would you accept your boss facebook friend request?

Would you accept your boss facebook friend request?
yes
44%
 44%  [ 12 ]
no way!!
55%
 55%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 27

iyepes
Recently the boss of my boss sent me a facebook friend request...... I really don't think so it's a good idea to say yes..... what do you think?
camperkid
If your work standard is as poor as your frih$ standing, then i'd say you need all the help you can get Wink
AftershockVibe
Ideally no, but if you're feeling pressured put them on a list of people who can only view very little of your profile. It's less likely to offend them than outright rejection.

If you're feeling super sneaky, put them on full access for the short term (removing anything you don't want them to see before accepting), then after a day or so scale their access back. They're unlikely to even notice, expeically if they don't pop up in their news feed.
pll
Nope for sure I won't accept it.

It's not that I have anything to hide to him but I don't want to come in the office at the morning and that he says something like ''hey!! how was the movie yesterday ?'' ''Did you have a great party on sunday ? '' That can be done with my co-workers, but not with my Boss sorry.

And studies says that tons of employeers goes to look the facebook profile of a person before hiring them, so be conscient of this point!
menino
I wouldnt want my boss to know whats going on in my personal life, so I wouldnt accept it.
I keep my personal life to myself and the professional work life at work.
Of course sometimes they coincide, like if I'm sick or have a family emergency, but thats about it.

For work, we try to make use of something called sharepoint, which is something like facebook, but more work related, but not everyone in our company is all into it.
deanhills
iyepes wrote:
Recently the boss of my boss sent me a facebook friend request...... I really don't think so it's a good idea to say yes..... what do you think?
Definitely not a good idea. Wonder whether it was an oops though! Sometimes people just select e-mail addresses with copy and paste, and he may regret that he sent it? So either way probably not a good idea to respond.
Asap170
iyepes wrote:

It depends. Is he spying on you or are you friends with him? If you don't accept he'll think your hiding something... I would accept it.
socceraggie
What do you have on your facebook page that you are ashamed of? Nothing on Facebook is private anyway. If there are things on your facebook page that you are embarrassed about then maybe you should clean up your page. Un-friend people that post things that would embarrass you with your co-workers.

If you are in a professional, office or sales position, consider your Facebook page an extension of your office. Would you print off your facebook homepage and put it on your office or cubicle door/wall? If not, then maybe you need to clean it up. Like it or not, employers/managers use Facebook to research a job applicant. If they can't see your page, it creates suspicion. Or if they are crafty they will find a friend of yours and connect with them so they can see your page.

If you are in a more blue collar environment, how your Facebook page looks or its contents are less likely to affect your employment status.
tetrix
It should be perfectly fine as long as your Facebook doesn't give away anything the boss will hate you for in the future.
blog_inforama
menino wrote:
I wouldnt want my boss to know whats going on in my personal life, so I wouldnt accept it.
I keep my personal life to myself and the professional work life at work.
Of course sometimes they coincide, like if I'm sick or have a family emergency, but thats about it.

For work, we try to make use of something called sharepoint, which is something like facebook, but more work related, but not everyone in our company is all into it.

Well specially what i am doing when i am not in my office!
ankitdatashn
what's the harm!

And anyways we can have multiple profiles... I guess someone got an idea somewhere... Razz
mk12327
Apparently there are mixed reviews on this issue. But from what I see, majority vote for not accepting a boss facebook request. Personally, I don't think it is generally not such a good idea. Although we do not have anything too secretive or shameful to let our boss see, sometimes we do post things by mistake or that your boss might misunderstand certain things. For example, if you are rather addicted to a facebook game and plays it occasionally during office hours (it could just be checking and a few clicks), but when your boss sees the updates appearing, they would wonder how you actually "abuse" the company resource. Another example could be that you party till late on a sunday night and report in late the next morning. What can you tell your boss? (If you accepted an event invitation to the sunday party on facebook)

As mentioned by other posts, you can accept your boss but put him/her under a restricted profile group where you can choose what they see.
ProfessorY91
To me, this just opens up dangerous opportunities for improper conduct, or revealing too much of your personal life to someone who has authority and power over you. Its not a good idea, it can never be a good idea, and its full of risks. At the most, create some access level like limited profile. Best case, block your boss's sorry ass.
zbale
iyepes wrote:

Do you have reasons to believe he or she is trying to get into your pants? Or that perhaps s/he hopes to monitor your life by learning about what you're writing on your wall etc.?

In general, I'd say don't accept the friend request until you have an opportunity to discuss the matter with that boss, saying that you're not sure what to think because you prefer not to mix your personal and professional life. See what answer you get. It's true that it's tricky because you don't want that person to hate you just because you didn't answer the request. So the best thing would be to talk it over I guess.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
mk12327
zbale wrote:
iyepes wrote:

Do you have reasons to believe he or she is trying to get into your pants? Or that perhaps s/he hopes to monitor your life by learning about what you're writing on your wall etc.?

In general, I'd say don't accept the friend request until you have an opportunity to discuss the matter with that boss, saying that you're not sure what to think because you prefer not to mix your personal and professional life. See what answer you get. It's true that it's tricky because you don't want that person to hate you just because you didn't answer the request. So the best thing would be to talk it over I guess.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Interesting approach suggested to ask for the boss intentions. It can be helpful to know his "motives" so to speak, but do be careful with the choice of words, so as not to appear as hidding something from him.
iyepes
My boss intentions are more innocent than you think. It happens that the institution is encouraging people to use social networks for work reasons, for example, they are supporting a twitter following game between students, so they use those tools for learning. Facebook in fact is not a forbiden page here.

I finally accepted his request. I've lived all my life saying one should be in private life as one is in public life, so, I have nothing to hide.

I have no drunk pictures, or any other kind of embarrasing content.
iyepes
camperkid wrote:
If your work standard is as poor as your frih$ standing, then i'd say you need all the help you can get Wink

I really didn't understand your post, neither your point.
gandalfthegrey
Depends how professional one keeps their facebook profile, and who you have as friends. Won't want the boss to see any drunken wall posts.
nigam
definitely not, he might check the details in the facebook what is going on your life and he will tell it in the next day of work Smile sometimes, once we are stressed, we wrote something might not good about in the work...so, its not a good idea to respond to his request Wink
recked
I would never add my boss as a friend on facebook because of what I do on weekends. I normally like to call in sick and post about it on FB, or post about other unneccessary stuff that will for sure get me fired. I don't like the idea of having my boss know what I'm doing.
zbale
camperkid wrote:

A: not very helpful remark
B: look who's talking, my friend Smile

Back to the real discussion, if the institution as a whole encourages this then I guess at least to an extent the Boss's request was legitimate (he may still want to get into your pants Smile). I assume that if you want you can block some content though I actually agree with your opinion, that one should rather strive to have a private life that would suffer no stain if made public. I guess that's the educator's position anyhow.

How's it been going so far being friends with him on fb?
macky
iyepes wrote:

nyay... well it's really up to you. My boss is friend of mine, i mean were close, we hang out together

and i think it's perfectly fine. It will not just go fluently if your boss is interested to you. I mean that

will be another story and issues might burn your office work unless you both love each other, people

vote for your love in case.
Insanity
I agree, it really depends on how your relationship with your boss is. If it's very cordial and laidback, like you guys would go get beers together and talk trash about your workplace, blah blah blah, then I don't see why not. If your boss is one of those people who are rather strict about things then you might want to reconsider. Otherwise, one of the random moments where you blab about something on your Facebook status while your'e drunk might come off as a bad impression, whereas if your boss is totally cool, and he's likely to just laugh at you and be cool about it, then there's nothing wrong with that.
watersoul
I actually had the conversation with my boss that I don't ever mix my personal life with professional, so regretfully will decline his friend request. Yes, of course I want to hide stuff, I admitted it straight to him, I don't want him to know how many times I went out at the weekend, who with, what I did etc, etc.

I couldn't care less what his reaction inside is because I'm paid for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to be interested in work. After that is my own time, and yes I want to keep it secret from work - I'm a free individual, paid only to be the person I act as while employed. Does that person who I am differ to the one my close friends might see? Absolutely! But I don't want senior management to know that Smile

On a side note, I recently deleted my facebook account completely and stick to the friends in my mobile phone directory - if theres a party going on thats worth going, I'll hear about it in the real world, If I missed a birthday or something that involved someone not in my phone, then to be honest, I can't have been that close to them so don't really care Laughing
soljarag
i would just accept it and put him in a catigory that only sees a limited profile.... however then you must trust that facebook truely has him in that catigory
macky
yes, personal and private life is separated already when you came from the office and from the time

you came out of the office... it is not that bad to accept your boss because he/she is trying to be friends

with you...
zbale
watersoul wrote:
I actually had the conversation with my boss that I don't ever mix my personal life with professional, so regretfully will decline his friend request. Yes, of course I want to hide stuff, I admitted it straight to him, I don't want him to know how many times I went out at the weekend, who with, what I did etc, etc.

I couldn't care less what his reaction inside is because I'm paid for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to be interested in work. After that is my own time, and yes I want to keep it secret from work - I'm a free individual, paid only to be the person I act as while employed. Does that person who I am differ to the one my close friends might see? Absolutely! But I don't want senior management to know that Smile

On a side note, I recently deleted my facebook account completely and stick to the friends in my mobile phone directory - if theres a party going on thats worth going, I'll hear about it in the real world, If I missed a birthday or something that involved someone not in my phone, then to be honest, I can't have been that close to them so don't really care Laughing

Nice, clear-headed approach. Way to go! (especially about deleting the FB account... my, the number of people who talk about it and never have the guts to do it Smile ).
D'Artagnan
i think it depends highly on how bad you need your job, and if you know the person x how you use facebook.

i don't mean he'd fire you if you said no, the person is just asking - it may or may not be a big deal, still if i were in a delicated position i would be safe and say yes.

also depends, if you use your facebook only for friends or you add anyone you have met.

i'd personally say yes if i met the guy in person, as i use social networks scarcelly and can divide have many contacts....

still i think if you are socially active, and uses facebook mostly for fun, i think you should try to give as little information to your boss or any boss related person who is not your friends as you can. you don't know how things will turn out and some companies like to track down their employees.
Dialogist
It's a very good question. Maybe easily answered depending on the formality/informality of your Facebook page or your chosen lifestyle itself. Do you add your boss and go on clean up duty, checking regularly to see that you've not received anything (and it could be anything at all) that may paint you in an unsuitable light or do you flatly refuse and have to explain to your boss why you are not friends and don't share their 'teamwork' ideas (with, of course, the unavoidable implication that you have something to hide). I would presume that everybody has something to hide from professional scrutiny. Be it a school friend's language or even the most innocent "Remember when we...?" comment could cause all sorts of unwanted dialogue. Most people surround themselves with only close friends and family. People you'd belch in front of without so much as a pardon. Personally I'd have to opt out of both options. I'd just say something like, oh, I'll have to check for your request, if I can remember my password. I don't use Facebook that much and then I'd just settle on a default pic and keep their request pending indefinitely.
ToddX1
I try to keep my facebook fairly professional, and yes, I've added my boss to friend list.
I think employers might be even more suspicious of a completely squeaky clean page. A few silly photos shows you are a normal person with a life outside of work. Besides, some of bosses posts are far more embarrassing than mine! Embarassed
rjraaz
No way i will not accept friend request from my boss it meshed our personal life with official, there are some secrets of our life that our boss will not have to know. Sometimes we give lame excuses to our boss for improper incomplete work.
ankur209
what the big deal...?

I'll accept it.
zbale
ToddX1 wrote:
I try to keep my facebook fairly professional, and yes, I've added my boss to friend list.
I think employers might be even more suspicious of a completely squeaky clean page. A few silly photos shows you are a normal person with a life outside of work. Besides, some of bosses posts are far more embarrassing than mine! :oops:

I don't know, I'm sure they figure we have a life outside work even with a blank page :)

And, as someone pointed out, whether we have a life or not outside work is arguably none of their business. Maybe this is becoming more and more of an issue as the boundaries between work and social life become blurred?

As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of more and more small businesses or organizations that use Fb and other social network websites massively. Perhaps in that case you HAVE to be "friends" with your colleagues, including your boss. Anybody here who has experienced it?
kharol_016
i can see no problem..haha
zbale
Just started a new job... and I've been connected on Facebook with my current boss for years Laughing

Won't change it, though.
Dialogist
ankur209 wrote:
what the big deal...?

sudipbanerjee
My first answer will be NO. But if any pressure came from his end then unwillingly I have to add him. At that case I will kept him in a category where he will able to see only a portion of my profile.
robinio_1965
NO WAY!

Even other colleuges will not be accepted on facebook.
For me work and normal life are two complete other things.
zbale
I'm thinking that a lot of jobs that have to do with PR or Marketing or campaigning or branding might lead you to use Facebook a lot. So can you actually NOT be connected to your boss in such a context?

Anybody from these fields?