FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Micro Dams

Blaster
I'm not sure how many people know about these or what they are but I'll attempt to explain.

I'm sure that the majority of you know what a typical hydro dam is. If not google such projects as the hoover dam.

Well what a Micro Dam does is makes use of the same hydro properties of a regular dam but is less harmful on the environment. You see a regular dam needs a reservoir which causes the use of more space therefore it is less practical.

A micro dam doesn't need this so the land is less altered.

Well i'm curious what the Frihost community thinks about these micro dams
silverdown
if it better for the world, im for it... WE need more positive ideas in the world... of course everoyne already knows that...
Blaster
Every energy supply we have has its pros and cons. The trick is finding one where the pros out stretch the cons. With current ways the cons are bigger than the pros sometimes. Look at oil currently. Just take a look at the gulf. The risk there is so massive and look at how it is hurting us all together. Its affecting our economy our food supply and so on. Is it really worth it. I think more time and money needs to be put into the research of better alternative methods. Cleaner Greener altternatives
jwellsy
If it doesn't create a reservoir, is it really a dam?
Blaster
I guess thats a good point... i'm not too sure but i know if you google it ten you will find it under such a catagory
ocalhoun
You can extract power from a stream or river with even less impact:

A) Waterwheel. Simply connect the shaft of a waterwheel to a generator.
B) Pipeline- If the stream is on a significant slope, drop a pipe/hose into the upper portion of it, run that pipe downhill as far as you can, feed it into a turbine or waterwheel, then output the water back into the stream at that lower level. Once you get the flow started, the siphon effect will move water over the turbine, generating some power.

Though, if you live in an area where there are (or used to be) beavers, then small 'micro-dams' shouldn't have a negative effect on the ecosystem since it has already evolved to accommodate beaver dams.
Blaster
haha ocalhoun you seemed to have done your research lol... Yes both of these systems are used. However one can get a greater amount of electricity out of a small micro dam.
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
haha ocalhoun you seemed to have done your research lol... Yes both of these systems are used. However one can get a greater amount of electricity out of a small micro dam.

Of course they're more efficient.
That's why you see huge dams built, but no huge waterwheels built.
Blaster
haha yup. The problem with large dams is that over time it could cause a problem with the water table therefore running the dam dry and messing up surrounding wells and such in the surrounding towns.
mshafiq
No body mentioned yet
that
these are not popular because of its associated cost of wear and tear.

As this involves mechanical, it is harder to manage (to compensate maintenance cost) as compared to bigger dam.

According to my point of view (until now) best way is using solar cell.
Although the requirement of larger area and light dependency makes it “not for every one” but I hope we will find better method of power generations.

Thanks!
mahirh
the problem is , it still has the devastating problems of the regular big dams because the flood entire towns if it breaks catastrophically and if if you ask me dams cost much more energy than what they generate using turbines and pollute the air more at than the rate they are saving the world from air pollution and if you ask me , i dont thing the whole concept of dams are such a good thing , as mshafiq mentioned , solar energy is better for a world in such a bad situation and with the majority of people not noticing it
ocalhoun
mahirh wrote:
the problem is , it still has the devastating problems of the regular big dams because the flood entire towns if it breaks catastrophically and if if you ask me dams cost much more energy than what they generate using turbines and pollute the air more at than the rate they are saving the world from air pollution and if you ask me

A 'micro-dam' can be built mostly by hand if you're concerned about ecological cost-- and it can be built largely with natural materials. It's extremely labor intensive, but you could make it much less so with a couple day's operation of rented power equipment.

Sharpen the ends of mid-size logs.
Construct a pile driver, using a heavy log section or a large rock for the weight.
Drive the logs into the creek bed in a line to form the foundation of the dam. (Prevents water from undermining the dam.)
Route the stream through a pipe or side-stream and let the area behind the logs dry out.
Lay your turbine-outlet-pipe and keep the valve closed for now.
Build the main body of the dam with soil and rocks (excavated from reservoir); a gentle slope uses more material, but is more durable.
Fill in spaces in between large rocks with small rocks and soil.
Tamp down the dam using your pile driver, add more material as needed.
OPTIONAL: Pave the reservoir side of the dam.
Pave the run-off area, or place plenty of rocks there to prevent erosion.
Install your turbine.
Attach the generator and electrical equipment to the turbine.
Block off the pipe or side stream from the fourth step.
Let the reservoir fill up.
Open the valve for your turbine and start generating power.

Assuming you build the dam well, and buy a high-quality turbine, the dam should be very low-maintenance.
mahirh
Quote:
A 'micro-dam' can be built mostly by hand if you're concerned about ecological cost-- and it can be built largely with natural materials. It's extremely labor intensive, but you could make it much less so with a couple day's operation of rented power equipment.

looks like your idea is good but it will never give you enough electricity and it will give a place for mosquitoes to breed in peace
mshafiq
What about i fwe have a big container full of some gas that expands in day/hot/sun and collapse in the night/cold and this transition in state gives life to generator and which will give the power.
The installation could be on the roofs of the houses.

The only thing is we need NOT dangerous but sensitive and gas, very good almost frictionless moving assembly/piston and controlled rpm for smooth usage/storage of power.
Thanks!
Blaster
What is misleading with micro dams is the dam part. Micro hydro really doesn't create a dam. If they do they are so minimal that you don't really realize it.

The above is a simple example of a turbine used in micro hydro.

Sure these may not provide enough energy to support a whole town or what ever or even a whole home but it helps. Its like putting solar panels on your house but so less costly and they even look a little nicer than solar panels on your roof
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:

The above is a simple example of a turbine used in micro hydro.

Sorry to be the bubble-burster here, but that's neither a turbine nor a dam...
It's simply a type water-wheel, used to power an alternator.

mshafiq wrote:
What about i fwe have a big container full of some gas that expands in day/hot/sun and collapse in the night/cold and this transition in state gives life to generator and which will give the power.
The installation could be on the roofs of the houses.

To get meaningful amounts of power out of that, the gas/liquid reservoir would have to be very huge.
Personally, I have plans to exploit the sunshine/shade difference for power generation, as well as using the constant temperature well below ground for heating/cooling.

A better way to exploit the night/day difference is have the sun-facing wall built with large water reservoirs inside. During the day, the water absorbs heat, making the house cooler. During the night, they release that heat, helping to keep the house warm. The effect can be intensified by having shutters on each side, opening the outside shutter during the day, and the inside shutter at night.
mahirh wrote:
Quote:

looks like your idea is good but it will never give you enough electricity

It actually can, if your needs are modest and/or the stream has a high rate of flow.
Quote:
and it will give a place for mosquitoes to breed in peace

Not more than any other pond. Stock it with small fish (or other wildlife), and mosquitoes won't be a big problem.
silverdown
This is very very interesting.....
dwxco
Quote:
and it will give a place for mosquitoes to breed in peace

Not more than any other pond. Stock it with small fish (or other wildlife), and mosquitoes won't be a big problem.[/quote]

Unfortunately, there seem to be very few places that don't have mosquito issues if there is enough humidity. It seems mosquito abatement is huge business across the entire country. There is always lots of standing water or pools naturally occurring, and not enough swallows or fish to eat all of them.

Now eradicating mosquitoes would have a positive effect on lots of things (like malaria and vacations).
ocalhoun
dwxco wrote:

Unfortunately, there seem to be very few places that don't have mosquito issues if there is enough humidity. It seems mosquito abatement is huge business across the entire country. There is always lots of standing water or pools naturally occurring, and not enough swallows or fish to eat all of them.

One wonders if mosquito poisons might be helping with that...
If the poisons accumulate in mosquito larvae, then the poisons probably build up into even greater concentrations in anything that eats them.
ujjawall
A better way to exploit the night/day difference is have the sun-facing wall built with large water reservoirs inside. During the day, the water absorbs heat, making the house cooler. During the night, they release that heat, helping to keep the house warm. The effect can be intensified by having shutters on each side, opening the outside shutter during the day, and the inside shutter at night.
ujjawall
Fill in spaces in between large rocks with small rocks and soil.
Tamp down the dam using your pile driver, add more material as needed.
OPTIONAL: Pave the reservoir side of the dam.
Pave the run-off area, or place plenty of rocks there to prevent erosion.
Install your turbine.
Attach the generator and electrical equipment to the turbine.
Block off the pipe or side stream from the fourth step.
Let the reservoir fill up. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil