FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Australian Politics

Radar
Anyone here in Australia at all? I just start wondering, as US politics threads outnumber all other countries ten to one, and we have an election coming up.
deanhills
Radar wrote:
Anyone here in Australia at all? I just start wondering, as US politics threads outnumber all other countries ten to one, and we have an election coming up.
Great, so tell us about the election. Which parties and which candidates are standing, and which candidate do you favour?
Bikerman
I'm always interested in how the colonies are doing.
(Joke..actually I have spent some time in Oz and love the country).
Give us a quick rundown of the runners and riders and the current sp.
ChrisCh
I'm from Queensland, where the ALP (Labor) lost the most seats throughout the whole country from the recent federal election. For those overseas who don't know, the ALP decided to give Kevin Rudd (the now former PM) the boot, and replaced him with their new leader, Julia Gillard. What should be mentioned is that Kevin is actually a Queenslander himself, and is the federal member for Griffith.

All of the news channels are pointing to this as the only reason that Queensland voted so strongly against Labor, but many forgot to mention the situation with the state Labor government, who are still committed to selling off a huge portion of Queensland's assets (including if I remember correctly, the shipping port in Brisbane, part of Queensland Rail etc etc), and the premier is determined to have this done despite HUGE public opposition... Of course, if her party had of managed the state's money better in the first place, they would have no need to generate a considerable amount of money through a sale such as this... Haha
ChrisCh
It seems now that Julia Gillard and the Labor party will be running the country for the next 3 years, but there is much controversy about how they were returned to office. She was never voted in as PM originally, and the facts remain that more Australians voted for LNP than Labor... but two of the independent MPs have given their vote to Labor, which means that their two votes here (as country MPs) have decided the political party in power for the entire country - but with their own agendas...
ujjawall
ChrisCh wrote:
It seems now that Julia Gillard and the Labor party will be running the country for the next 3 years, but there is much controversy about how they were returned to office. She was never voted in as PM originally, and the facts remain that more Australians voted for LNP than Labor... but two of the independent MPs have given their vote to Labor, which means that their two votes here (as country MPs) have decided the political party in power for the entire country - but with their own agendas...
ayour
i think australia need to be more active and make stronger relations with other countries, it a big country and it should have a voice in the worls,
Rhank you.
deanhills
ayour wrote:
i think australia need to be more active and make stronger relations with other countries, it a big country and it should have a voice in the worls,
Rhank you.
I think Australia is quite active, particularly on the economic sides of things. They have very strong export links with countries of all of the continents of the world. Very Happy
ayour
deanhills wrote:
I think Australia is quite active, particularly on the economic sides of things. They have very strong export links with countries of all of the continents of the world. Very Happy

I'm from Morocco and i don't know any products from there.
but i think it's normal due to geographic distance between us and australia.
maybe they have relations with some asian countries, american ... i am not aknown of that.
Thank you Smile
deanhills
ayour wrote:
I'm from Morocco and i don't know any products from there.
but i think it's normal due to geographic distance between us and australia.
maybe they have relations with some asian countries, american ... i am not aknown of that.
Thank you Smile
Most of the fresh produce here is from Australia, vegetables and fruits. Then there are manufactured goods which are in huge supply here. They also have a University Campus in Dubai. Ditto Vancouver in Canada.
Hello_World
Australia mainly exports primary goods - fruit and veg, meat, and not mentioned but very important - minerals, such as iron, uranium, coal, wood etc.

Also education, as pointed out, unis overseas and also people come to Australia to study.

Tourism is a huge part of our economy.

I would say most of the exports go to Asia and Middle East, Pacific Islands.

As for a voice in the world, I think Australia is lacking, we look to being buddies with the 'allies' too much, especially US, and not enough Asia. That said, we do seek to buddy up with Asia too, just not enough in my opinion. I think you can hear Australia's voice in Asia and Pacific. I'm not sure if they really like it though, lol. I think we are good allies with China.
deanhills
@Hello_World. What about the performing arts, as I've seen quite a large number of Australian TV shows and movies and they're really tops. They're technologically one of the most advanced countries, coming up with their own unique designs in all aspects of engineering and futuristic type innovations.
Hello_World
Oh yeah, the performing arts, that is true. And our actors are doing well in hollywood too lol. Although a lot of our movies are great and go unnoticed by the rest of the world. We have built heaps of sets and stuff for Hollywood movies to be made here. The Matrix effects and stuff.

Yeah, that is really true. Our comedians are great too, but i don't think that is really contributing much the economy lol.

I don't know about engineering and innovations. I know that some Aussies made some kind of great solar power and had to get it funded and developed by China as the Aussie government wouldn't back it.

We invented Wifi, that's pretty cool. But I don't really know any others, I'm curious why you think this is so. perhaps I haven't noticed.. Smile
deanhills
Hello_World wrote:
Yeah, that is really true. Our comedians are great too, but i don't think that is really contributing much the economy lol.
Surely there must be money flowing into Australia from people who have obtained licenses to run Australian shows on their channels in North America or elsewhere in the world to the equivalent of exporting apples for example. In this case you're just exporting movies. I'm also certain that movie stars like Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe who are living in Australia must be paying plenty of taxes, or at least making contributions to Australia in many ways through there income from their movies in the US.
gandalfthegrey
You should all vote for the Australian Greens down there. The Labour Party seems to be a bunch of hypocrites with its privatization and selling off of government assets, and the Coalition parties are a bunch of xenophobes.
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
You should all vote for the Australian Greens down there. The Labour Party seems to be a bunch of hypocrites with its privatization and selling off of government assets, and the Coalition parties are a bunch of xenophobes.
Looks as though politics in Australia are the same as everywhere else in the "free" world .... hehe ....
Very Happy
Hello_World
Quote:
Looks as though politics in Australia are the same as everywhere else in the "free" world .... hehe ....

yep.

Quote:
You should all vote for the Australian Greens down there.

The Greens won a huge increase in the seats at the last election. But I'm a little disappointed, to get more bargaining power they have formed a 'coalition' with the government and are getting sucked into the politics game rather than standing strong. I don't want them to join a coalition, I want them to be an alternative to the 2 major parties who are one and the same. (The phrase 'same sh!t different smell' applies here.)

Also they were voted in partly on a platform of gay marriage and didn't push it enough when they had the chance.
deanhills
@Hello_World. Al Jazeera International had a report on tonight about a deal with the Malaysian Government with regard to refugees. Sounds as though people from Australia feels their Government has sold them out in the deal. Do you agree?
Hello_World
Okay, this is my personal view. I am not opposed to refugees as such. We should take our share of the refugees.

Some people think it is a bad deal because if we give them say 800 refugees we get (I don't remember the figures) say 1200 'processed' refugees back. I think that is just fine. In comparison to our total migrant intake the amount of refugees is insignificant. Some Australians can't seem to comprehend this though.

The whole thing is about deterance. They try to come here fom Indonesian refugee camp hell, but all they'll end up with is being in malaysian refugee camp hell instead. i think that is pretty detering.

But there is the issue of treating these people with dignity. Under Howard, we were putting these people in prisons for years. It wasn't fair. Howard whipped up all this anti-refugee sentiment, and decided to send them to Nauru for processing. It wasn't fair. many of us are really upset to treat people like this.

The labor opposition (at the time) was very critical. They said, too, it is inhumane and such and such. When they ran for government they said they were going to 'stop the boats' but the subtext, due to this history, was that they would be humane. KRudd was humaner. Julia Gillard kicked him out and I'm not sure what she has said on the topic of humanity, but this is her plan. She wanted to send them instead to East Timor, which would have been a much better solution, but East Timor didn't want a bar of it.

We are getting a lot of refugees in boats at the moment and the government is getting desperate. Some people would say this is because KRudd was more lenient.

Sending refugees to Malaysia, where men, women and children will be caned or whipped if they step out of line doesn't seem all that humane to me.

If you can put aside the humanity of it all, it's a pretty good plan.
deanhills
Hello_World wrote:
Sending refugees to Malaysia, where men, women and children will be caned or whipped if they step out of line doesn't seem all that humane to me.

If you can put aside the humanity of it all, it's a pretty good plan.
I can't believe that they will be whipped and caned. As the whole transaction will be in the public eye. I'd hate to end up in Malaysia however as there is a lot of discrimination against non-moslems and those who are not Malaysian unless you have lots of money. The contrast with Australia is like night and day. Guess it's going to be the roll of the dice for the refugees. And maybe the idea of ending up in Malaysia may deter some.
Hello_World
The whipping and caning... that is what is on our media, could be a lie i guess who can trust the news these days? But they aren't signatory to something or other of concern lol.

The refugees will definately not like it, for all their efforts, the money and the risk of life, they end up somewhere just as bad if not worse than where they started. Neither malaysia nor indonesia will give them permanent residence.