FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mainland China - an environmental disaster zone?

deanhills
Looks as though China is an environmental disaster zone, and something needs to be done for it to beef up its environmental management. Hundreds of barrels of toxic waste have been lost by China, and are making their way to Russia. At the same time there was a massive explosion at a plastics factory killing 10 people and injuring at least 300. Does not help that the Chinese authorities are preventing news agencies to cover some of their environmental disaster events, including a recent oil spill in Dalian, Northeast China. Government policy is probably what you don't see or hear, won't hurt you.
Quote:
On the same day, thousands of barrels containing toxic industrial chemicals were spotted in the Songhua River in northeast China. Floodwaters had swept the containers from a nearby storage depot and into a tributary of the river, Jilin province environmental authorities reported. Some 7,000 barrels are estimated to have been lost in the river, including 3,000 that contained chemicals used in making synthetic rubber, among other applications. China's Ministry of Environmental Protection said Thursday that "no abnormalities" had been detected in a test of the river's waters.

Those disasters were preceded by a July 16 oil spill at the port city of Dalian in northeast China. Some 1,500 tons of crude spilled into the Yellow Sea when two pipelines belonging to the state-owned China National Petroleum Corp. exploded at the Xingang oil terminal. The disaster happened after an oil tanker was unloaded, when desulfurizing chemicals were improperly pumped into the pipeline. Since then, hundreds of fishing vessels have been used to aid the cleaning efforts of oil skimmers. Environmental groups criticized the improvised cleanup, saying untrained laborers were exposed to toxic chemicals. "They don't have experience, they don't have protective gear, not even basic gear," says Sze Pang Cheung, campaign director of Greenpeace China. "It's a big health concern." And while the government declared on July 26 that the spill had been cleaned, Sze said that Greenpeace observers in Dalian have noted that there are some areas, including an island that is a sensitive seabird habitat, still tainted by oil.

Source: Time Online
Quote:
The waters of a polluted Chinese tributary of Russia's Amur River will reach the Russian border on August 4, Russian emergencies officials said on Thursday.

Severe floods washed 3,000 barrels of explosive chemicals into the Songhua River in the Northeast Chinese province of Jilin early on Wednesday, according to Xinhua news agency. The river is the main source of drinking water for Jilin, the province's second-largest city.

Earlier on Thursday it was reported that 1,000 barrels containing methyl chloride, an extremely flammable gas, had washed into the river. An additional 4,000 empty barrels have also been washed downstream.

Russia fears the chemicals may contaminate the Amur River, which feeds water to the Russian Far Eastern city of Khabarovsk.
Quote:
In November 2005, an explosion at a plant owned by the Jilin Petroleum and Chemical Company caused 100 tons of potentially lethal benzene to spill into the Songhua River. The incident forced the shut-down of water supplies to nearly 4 million people. The spillage caused substantial environmental damage in the Russian Far East, as a huge slick of chemicals was carried down the Amur.
Source: RIANovosti
mengshi200
as a Chinese man ,my heart is very heavy.though i have been ever shouted in my website---<huajun world report>(1999-2006) about environmental disaster many times,but situation make no good. recently,www.huajun.com--huajun environmental protecting education net have been online,need warrior coming from world support it,thanks.
deanhills
mengshi200 wrote:
as a Chinese man ,my heart is very heavy.though i have been ever shouted in my website---<huajun world report>(1999-2006) about environmental disaster many times,but situation make no good. recently,www.huajun.com--huajun environmental protecting education net have been online,need warrior coming from world support it,thanks.
I can understand that the powerless feeling of someone from the county to try and do something about the problem, must be quite heart breaking. Also difficult, as perhaps people of the country who support an important cause like this, may be less than favourably regarded by their own Government? So, yes, hopefully international pressure may help.
jwellsy
The serenity prayer comes to mind on this. It applies to many things in life.

Quote:
God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
The serenity prayer comes to mind on this. It applies to many things in life.
Right, but looks as though they are needing that prayer as well as lots of action and hoping the weather will not create a more serious problem with the barrels of toxic chemicals that the Chinese are trying to scoop from the Songhua River, which is flowing into Russia at its junction with the Amur River. They had a similar incident in 2005, and Russians are seriously concerned that they may have to find alternative sources for potable water. This is perhaps quite awful in its own right, but is at least receiving media attention, so hopefully will draw attention to China's lack of environmental protection. For more detailed information on the present toxic waste scare refer to Russia Today story and Video below:

http://rt.com/Top_News/2010-07-29/3000-chinese-barrels-explosives.html
Also view for a complete background story:
harismushtaq
China is also paying the price of industrial revolution. It has brought great amount of cash and strength to the country in one way but it also has effected the life of common man (and infact all other species like the fishes of the polluted river) in adverse way. These are acute accidents but the chronic pollution in big Chinese cities is also reaching a dangerous level. And amid this all, any means to rectify or correct these problems are very very hard.
deanhills
harismushtaq wrote:
China is also paying the price of industrial revolution. It has brought great amount of cash and strength to the country in one way but it also has effected the life of common man (and infact all other species like the fishes of the polluted river) in adverse way. These are acute accidents but the chronic pollution in big Chinese cities is also reaching a dangerous level. And amid this all, any means to rectify or correct these problems are very very hard.
Problem is that they are such an enormous country, affecting so many surrounding countries on their borders, such as sharing rivers, etc., so that whatever pollution is happening in the country, has to have a major effect on global environmental degradation. Something serious needs to be done to help them to become more conscious of the impact of environmental decay and to work on remedial action.
inuyasha
Ahh..... Sorry to hear that. Actually, I didn't notice the environment in China is that bad. Anyway, imediate actions must be taken to solve the problems mentioned above. By the way, was Russia affected? Then Mongolia must be as well...
deanhills
Why would it? Are you thinking that the Amur River passes through Mongolia as well? Or is there another reason?