FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

antivirus not opening

tamilparks
In my system antivirus webpages are not opening is my system affected with virus, if so what can i do?
tdossi
You can use the system checked by a virus scanner. Tells you whether you've got a virus.
Marcuzzo
You are both not really making any sense.

@tamilparks:
1. Which antivirus are you using?
2. is this one up to date?
3. what does a full system scan tell you?

and what do you mean with
tamilparks wrote:
In my system antivirus webpages are not opening

You can't open webpages that offer antivirus?

try this one: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/AntiVir-Personal-Edition-Download-6527.html
airh3ad
In my case i reinstalled the anti virus and update it , then it works fine.
tamilparks
i am using avast antivirus, its not opening so i could not scan the system also
Nemesis234
run in safe mode, should load up just fine, if it doesnt, re-install it - in safe mode.
airh3ad
Uninstalled the anti virus and installed it again, if not works use third party software to be abale to move and installed that anti virus.
tamilparks
even the antivirus website is also not opening so please any tips help me
Fire Boar
Oh, that's a motherboard problem. You need to unplug and open up your PC, you'll see a large board with stuff plugged in. Just push down on anything that looks solid - you'll need to push really hard - until you hear a "crack" or "snap" noise. Congratulations, now you won't ever get a virus on this computer again!

Okay, seriously, it sounds like your computer's virus'd beyond repair for an amateur. Find a friend who knows about computers if you have any, otherwise back up your important stuff and reinstall your operating system. Then next time avoid the dodgy websites.
k_s_baskar
try anti virus which scans before installing. If you can't able to run anti virus setup file try the following steps (Caution you need some hardware stuff and additional hard disk)
1. unplung your hdd
2. plug new hdd as primary and install fresh copy of os in it and install your antivirus
3. shutdown the system
4. plug your hdd as primary /secondary slave
5. restart your pc
6. run complete scan and remove virus
7. shutdown and unplug your new hdd
8. restart

Smile
Fire Boar
k_s_baskar wrote:
try anti virus which scans before installing. If you can't able to run anti virus setup file try the following steps (Caution you need some hardware stuff and additional hard disk)
1. unplung your hdd
2. plug new hdd as primary and install fresh copy of os in it and install your antivirus
3. shutdown the system
4. plug your hdd as primary /secondary slave
5. restart your pc
6. run complete scan and remove virus
7. shutdown and unplug your new hdd
8. restart

Smile

Wow... that's overly complicated, a bootable CD desktop with something like ClamAV will do just as well and is a lot cheaper.
tamilparks
i have installed a fresh os, with formating my harddisk and tried, even though, the same problem is there? so what can i do? when i like to install avast virus scanner, its not installing,

the same problem is in windows server 2003, i just formatted and reinstalled, the same problem is there.. so please help me
Fire Boar
You're clearly Doing It Wrong. Maybe it's not compatible. Get someone who knows about computers to do it for you.
tamilparks
i have not understood can u tell me clearly
k_s_baskar
check your os source dvd. try installing anti virus before installing other softwares (i.e ms-office) Smile
tamilparks
k_s_baskar thanks for your tips i will do it as per your guidance
mukesh
First you should to uninstall antivirus and install new antivirus which you currently installed or try to repair your antivirus or try to update it.

If you not sucess then copy new Operating System.
FunDa
tamilparks wrote:
In my system antivirus webpages are not opening is my system affected with virus, if so what can i do?

I understand what you mean. It is not a hardware problem - not a motherboard problem.
I have seen this happen earlier.

What happened in my case was that a virus called 'Brontok" had infected the system. There are several other viruses whioch follow this technique now.What it does is, it mojitors all the running programs for any signs of opening an antivirus website or even searching on Google for antivirus, and immediately close the browser or block you when you search for antivirus.

Then, I downloaded antivirus in another computer, put it in a USB pen-drive, and tried to open it in the infected computer. But , the virus blocked me from opening the folder having the antivirus on the pen drive.

The virus had also blocked Task Manager(Ctrl-Alt-Del)

I downloaded and tried another task manager called "Process Explorer" and I was able to see the virus process and kill it. After that, I was able to remove the virus completely. The antivirus also ran properly.

Once, in a similar virus attack, even "Process Explorer" was blocked and I had to try out a few other Task Manager softwares, till one of them called "Auslogics Task Manager" worked, and I was able to remove the virus after ending the process.

Also, the virus spreads though USB pen drives, so each time you put it a pen drive, DON'T double-click it. Right-click and explore.

So, finally.

1. Use a working task manager or process explorer or auslogics task manager
2. End or kill the virus process (Look for all the suspicious processes in the end)
3. Also kill and restart the "explorer.exe" process because many viruses latch on to explorer
4. Run antivirus and remove virus
5. If antivirus is not able to detect the virus, manually go to the virus file and rename it.
6. If you are sure it is the virus file and that renaming it does not cause any system problesm, you can delete it too.
meep
What is in the C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts file? (open it with notepad)
tamilparks
FunDa thanks for your tips,

all the things you explained is correct, but for me alt + Ctrl + del is working for me, only the anti virus websites then microsoft websites and then .net websites are also not opening to me i will try your tips

meep i have opened there is ip address using this what should i do?
meep
well it should look something like this:
Code:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#   127.0.0.1       localhost
#   ::1             localhost

if it looks any different please post it.

also if the antivirus won't run, try renaming it and see if that works:)

also you could download malware bytes anti malware from a clean pc, rename it, put it on an usb, and then run it on the infected pc. (right-click the usb and choose explore, don't double click it.)
FunDa
Yes, that too. The hosts file should be having only one entry for localhost

If genuine websites are listed there, then just delete all the lines after the localhost line
tamilparks
i have not solved the problem same problem still having please help me
kamran622
tamilparks wrote:

Just format your pc once and it would all f9 at a glance, thats it!
ProfessorY91
Take your computer to someone who knows what they are doing. I'm from India, you're not getting out of this one - there are computer repair shops everywhere in any of the major cities. Go fork over your rupees, and try not to get ripped off (it is inevitable).

Failing that. Order a large magnet online. Should only be about 7-20 dollars. Stroke magnet against all surfaces inside your computer, in a single direction. After about 20 strokes, attempt to turn on the computer. Be pleased. Your virus is now gone.
FunDa
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Take your computer to someone who knows what they are doing. I'm from India, ......
Failing that. Order a large magnet online. Should only be about 7-20 dollars. Stroke magnet against all surfaces inside your computer, in a single direction. After about 20 strokes, attempt to turn on the computer. Be pleased. Your virus is now gone.

Don't do the magnet thing.

TamilParks is from India, he can find tech support everywhere.

Format and Re-install Windows if you find that easier to do than finding the virus and removing it. Inf some cases, finding the virus is very very difficult, and formatting and reinstalling Windows have many advantages.
Fire Boar
Sounds like you seem to get a virus every time you switch your PC on. Just install Linux or get a mac. Don't know how to use them? Just learn. Much better having a bit of a learning curve than having a virus and being seemingly incapable of doing anything at all about it.

Alternatively, there's always the magnet option. That will not only get rid of the virus, but ensure that that particular computer will never get a piece of malware ever again.
jmfernandez
If your anti-virus is not running, the AV's registry and/or Windows programs are corrupted. Try to install the anti-virus, restart your Computer. Make sure that your account is an Administrator account if you're going to re-install the program.
lightwate
If that's a famous antivirus software, then most probably, a virus is disabling it.

The most simple way thing that you can do before you try anything else (like reformatting etc.) is to rename your antivirus program. like for example AVG.exe, rename it to explorer.exe and then run it. I read somewhere that it works with most viruses.

If that works, then hope that your antivirus can find the virus and remove it.
stressball
thanks for the help
mukesh
tamilparks wrote:

reinstall OS is best option but in system have virus if not then put a good anti virus and 1st scan full system and delete all virus if problem to generate then repair and update operating system.