FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Thai Water Buffalo Fight with a difference

deanhills
I saw an unbelievable sight this morning of a Thai exercising his water buffalo in Koh Samui surf. Such as one would see a horse being exercised tethered on a rope and then running in a circle. But this was different. It was in shallow water. The Buffalo was actually having lots of fun in the water, and genuinely running in a circle with abundance. Then learned that the local Water Buffalo are exercised daily in the water, for being in great shape for Water Buffalo Fights. The best part of this is that the fights are completely different from the lethal Spanish bull fights, where the fights are almost generally to the death. The Water Buffalo fights are fights of dominance, and then the loser usually is the one who runs away, as indicated in the YouTube show below. Note the great shape the Buffaloes are in. They are generally treated with great reverence, devotion and care:

standready
Very cool. I wish you had video of the aqua exercising. The resistance provided by the water is good for toning muscles. Something many of us should consider adding to our routine.
As for the Water Buffalo fights, I think the only smart viewers were sitting on top of the truck. That fence would not stop those fighting Buffaloes.
wellerchap
standready wrote:
As for the Water Buffalo fights, I think the only smart viewers were sitting on top of the truck. That fence would not stop those fighting Buffaloes.

Yes, but everyone knows a water buffalo can't climb over a fence, silly! Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

They're big, chunky things, aren't they.....from some angles they sort of remind me of some of my ex-girlfriends Shocked
deanhills
standready wrote:
The buffaloes are really very peaceful creatures, don't have to worry about your safety in their proximity. I thought I would rename them Buddhist Buffaloes. Smile They actually live with the locals, in the community I am right now. Each water buffalo has a mentor as well. They are almost the equivalent of tame horses. The Spanish Bulls fight, and the Water Buffaloes kind'a wrestle more.

wellerchap wrote:
They're big, chunky things, aren't they.....from some angles they sort of remind me of some of my ex-girlfriends Shocked
The ones around here are very fit and well exercised. I can imagine they would remind you of "ex" girlfriends ..... Smile
Bluedoll
All this fighting must for certainly be the males? I also am not sure that 'a fight' is the correct term to use for this activity. Since most likely no one speaks buffloesse it might be guessing to pick a phrase for this behaviour.

"Get down in the water and lets do a big show for all the gang confrontation?"
Magicman
I didn't get to watch the whole video but if these buffalo are as peaceful as people have said, then the 'fighting' is likely akin to dogs play fighting. I would assume as long as the buffalo don't hurt each other, there is probably little risk of injury to people who have just enough distance to not get in the way.
deanhills
Magicman wrote:
I didn't get to watch the whole video but if these buffalo are as peaceful as people have said, then the 'fighting' is likely akin to dogs play fighting. I would assume as long as the buffalo don't hurt each other, there is probably little risk of injury to people who have just enough distance to not get in the way.
Good point. It is more or less like wrestling.