FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone watching TV in language they can't understand?

deanhills
It's become a hobby of sorts. Watching TV shows where I don't have an idea of the language, so try and decipher what is going on by the body language and facial expressions. Any one else tried something "crazy" like this? I've tried it with Arabic and Turkish movies, and am now doing some of it with Thai. I particularly like the Turkish movies, always very interesting to watch.
drivica
HahAhahahAHAHA, nice post. I tried with Japanese, but seems that gesticulation and facial expressions do not reveal a thing Smile They smile when they're nervous, shout when they're excited, cry when happy... All messed up Smile
deanhills
drivica wrote:
HahAhahahAHAHA, nice post. I tried with Japanese, but seems that gesticulation and facial expressions do not reveal a thing Smile They smile when they're nervous, shout when they're excited, cry when happy... All messed up Smile
I have to agree with you on this one. There would be too little of body language to decipher the meaning of what they are saying. Now the French would probably be a total opposite of that, and maybe the Italians, with waving their arms and using their whole bodies when they are trying to make their points? Smile
natilovesmike
Well, I don't really watch TV on a language I don't understand...but I do remember once being with my best friend in france and watching TV...we didn't understand anything so we made up what the actors were saying....it was fun...
inuyasha
Ah, I love the mystery of language! Yet I usually watch Japanese anime with subtitles, which helps me understand the plots Very Happy
r4inm4ker
Yes, but with subtitles. It's quite interesting to watch foreign language films, and i watched a lot of chinese, japanese, french, and italian films (English too, because english is also considered my foreign language Very Happy ). The difference in tones and expression for each country is pretty entertaining.