FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Cell phone cameras





Tony The Tiger
What is the current state of the art for cell phone cameras. I have been noticing people using them a lot more now. I have also noticed that they have full screen viewers. What are current megapixel capabilities for them. How about videos and night photography? What can they do now in 2010? What are the top cell phones for camera capabilities?[/b]
ahnguye5
The HTC EVO and Droid X are sporting 8 MP cameras. Those two, as well as the iPhone 4, can do 720p video recording. People use them a lot now because it's so convenient -- you carry your phone with you everywhere you go. Now, with these more capable cameras, phone camera usage will be more common.
ProwerBot
I'm really starting to moan whenever LG, Samsung, etc. make a phone with only a 1.3 MP camera. In this day and age a 2.0 is probably the lowest acceptable. My phone which is the LG enV touch is 3.2, and it has a 2 stage camera button so when you push it down a little it focuses and down all the way and it takes the picture. For a messaging phone it is probably the best camera phone in the market. As for smartphones there are iPhone 4, Evo, etc.
Tony The Tiger
ahnguye5 wrote:
The HTC EVO and Droid X are sporting 8 MP cameras. Those two, as well as the iPhone 4, can do 720p video recording. People use them a lot now because it's so convenient -- you carry your phone with you everywhere you go. Now, with these more capable cameras, phone camera usage will be more common.


How high quality are the pictures. What kind of storage do the phones have for pictures and videos. Videos can take up a ton of memory very quickly, especially HD video (1280x720 pixel pixels, which is what my Canon Powershot TX1 camera does). When you say 720p is this what you mean or do you mean 720 pixels wide?
Tony The Tiger
ProwerBot wrote:
I'm really starting to moan whenever LG, Samsung, etc. make a phone with only a 1.3 MP camera. In this day and age a 2.0 is probably the lowest acceptable. My phone which is the LG enV touch is 3.2, and it has a 2 stage camera button so when you push it down a little it focuses and down all the way and it takes the picture. For a messaging phone it is probably the best camera phone in the market. As for smartphones there are iPhone 4, Evo, etc.


Can you remind me what the difference is between a messaging phone and a smartphone. I have a Sony Walkman 518. I presume I have a messaging phone. However you may call my kind of phone something different. I just don't really know what the term messaging phone means. Does it just mean non-smartphone? Does it mean a phone designed for text messages? Or does the term mean something else entirely different?
ProwerBot
Tony The Tiger wrote:
ProwerBot wrote:
I'm really starting to moan whenever LG, Samsung, etc. make a phone with only a 1.3 MP camera. In this day and age a 2.0 is probably the lowest acceptable. My phone which is the LG enV touch is 3.2, and it has a 2 stage camera button so when you push it down a little it focuses and down all the way and it takes the picture. For a messaging phone it is probably the best camera phone in the market. As for smartphones there are iPhone 4, Evo, etc.


Can you remind me what the difference is between a messaging phone and a smartphone. I have a Sony Walkman 518. I presume I have a messaging phone. However you may call my kind of phone something different. I just don't really know what the term messaging phone means. Does it just mean non-smartphone? Does it mean a phone designed for text messages? Or does the term mean something else entirely different?

Smart phones are basically phones sporting data plans. Regular feature phones like mine don't, typically. Mine is a messaging phone because it has a keyboard.
ahnguye5
Quote:
How high quality are the pictures. What kind of storage do the phones have for pictures and videos. Videos can take up a ton of memory very quickly, especially HD video (1280x720 pixel pixels, which is what my Canon Powershot TX1 camera does). When you say 720p is this what you mean or do you mean 720 pixels wide?


8 MP is pretty good. I guess to put it into perspective, you can do a hi-resolution print (approx. 300 dpi 8.5 x 11 photo) with all those pixels.

Storage is usually done with a microSD card. I think the biggest one on the market now is 32 GB.

You're right about the HD video, 720p refers to 1280 x 720 resolution while 1080p refers to 1900 x 1080. Once again, more pixels means better picture/video quality. Hence, 1080p is often referred to as Full-HD.
ahnguye5
Quote:
Can you remind me what the difference is between a messaging phone and a smartphone. I have a Sony Walkman 518. I presume I have a messaging phone. However you may call my kind of phone something different. I just don't really know what the term messaging phone means. Does it just mean non-smartphone? Does it mean a phone designed for text messages? Or does the term mean something else entirely different?


When most people refer to smartphones today, they're usually talking about a phone with a touchscreen, internet access, and apps. Although most smartphones don't have keyboards, ones like the Droid does (pun intended). I like this because you've got you're big touchscreen but you also have the keyboard for fast typing. Kinda like how some people don't enjoy typing on the iPad even though the virtual keyboard is plenty big.

Messaging phones are those that are geared towards text messaging so they'll definitely have a keyboard. That's not to say that they aren't capable of internet access. I personally wouldn't pay for a data plan for a messaging phone because the screens are usually pretty small, and the operating system and browser are weak. For example, my LG Rumor 2's software version (I'm assuming this is the OS) is LX265VO5 and the browser is Infraware Polaris 6.01 -- yeah, whatever that is.

Smartphones have nicer hardware and run the OSes you probably hear a lot about: Apple's iOS, Google's Android, Palm's WebOS, etc.
PureReborn
The cameras in phones have reached a respectable pixel count but most doesnt have flash (or LED flash). So they are only really good in bright settings with good lighting. Taking pictures at night or anywhere dark is useless.

Also most cameras in phones use digital zoom only (no room for bigger lens that allow for optical zoom) so trying to use zoom ruins the pictures very quickly. Plus the lens arent anything good, infact they're at best the same as a cheap 100-200 point and shoot.

People use them because they always have their phone with them and not their camera. You know the best camera is the best one you have when you need to take a picture.
Tony The Tiger
ProwerBot wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
ProwerBot wrote:
I'm really starting to moan whenever LG, Samsung, etc. make a phone with only a 1.3 MP camera. In this day and age a 2.0 is probably the lowest acceptable. My phone which is the LG enV touch is 3.2, and it has a 2 stage camera button so when you push it down a little it focuses and down all the way and it takes the picture. For a messaging phone it is probably the best camera phone in the market. As for smartphones there are iPhone 4, Evo, etc.


Can you remind me what the difference is between a messaging phone and a smartphone. I have a Sony Walkman 518. I presume I have a messaging phone. However you may call my kind of phone something different. I just don't really know what the term messaging phone means. Does it just mean non-smartphone? Does it mean a phone designed for text messages? Or does the term mean something else entirely different?

Smart phones are basically phones sporting data plans. Regular feature phones like mine don't, typically. Mine is a messaging phone because it has a keyboard.


What about a clamshell phone. Are they considered messaging phones or do you have to have more than 12 keys to be described as a messaging phone. Also, do phones with touch screens and touch keyboards classify as messaging phones? Thanks in advance for the additional help and thanks for the explanation thus far.
Tony The Tiger
ahnguye5 wrote:
Quote:
Can you remind me what the difference is between a messaging phone and a smartphone. I have a Sony Walkman 518. I presume I have a messaging phone. However you may call my kind of phone something different. I just don't really know what the term messaging phone means. Does it just mean non-smartphone? Does it mean a phone designed for text messages? Or does the term mean something else entirely different?


When most people refer to smartphones today, they're usually talking about a phone with a touchscreen, internet access, and apps. Although most smartphones don't have keyboards, ones like the Droid does (pun intended). I like this because you've got you're big touchscreen but you also have the keyboard for fast typing. Kinda like how some people don't enjoy typing on the iPad even though the virtual keyboard is plenty big.

Messaging phones are those that are geared towards text messaging so they'll definitely have a keyboard. That's not to say that they aren't capable of internet access. I personally wouldn't pay for a data plan for a messaging phone because the screens are usually pretty small, and the operating system and browser are weak. For example, my LG Rumor 2's software version (I'm assuming this is the OS) is LX265VO5 and the browser is Infraware Polaris 6.01 -- yeah, whatever that is.

Smartphones have nicer hardware and run the OSes you probably hear a lot about: Apple's iOS, Google's Android, Palm's WebOS, etc.


O.K. However, as explained in post above, I am still a bit confused on what a 12 key clamshell is classified as in this nomenclature.
Tony The Tiger
PureReborn wrote:
The cameras in phones have reached a respectable pixel count but most doesnt have flash (or LED flash). So they are only really good in bright settings with good lighting. Taking pictures at night or anywhere dark is useless.

Also most cameras in phones use digital zoom only (no room for bigger lens that allow for optical zoom) so trying to use zoom ruins the pictures very quickly. Plus the lens arent anything good, infact they're at best the same as a cheap 100-200 point and shoot.

People use them because they always have their phone with them and not their camera. You know the best camera is the best one you have when you need to take a picture.


I did not know camera phones are without zooming capabilities. Obviously, this is a big flaw for the current state of cameraphone technology. I have been seated near people shooting with cameraphones at dusk and darkening conditions and thought it seemed that their images were in focus in the veiwing screen. It must be that what I saw was deceiving.
PureReborn
I did not know camera phones are without zooming capabilities. Obviously, this is a big flaw for the current state of cameraphone technology. I have been seated near people shooting with cameraphones at dusk and darkening conditions and thought it seemed that their images were in focus in the veiwing screen. It must be that what I saw was deceiving.[/quote]

Well I know Sony (with their craziness) have made camera phones with actually camera lens inside. So those have optical zoom and are actually quiet decent.
ahnguye5
Tony The Tiger wrote:
O.K. However, as explained in post above, I am still a bit confused on what a 12 key clamshell is classified as in this nomenclature.


I guess those 12 key clamshells, as you refer to them, are just cellphones. They don't get a name because they suck haha. These are the phones that are usually free with a 2-yr or even 1-yr upgrade.
ProwerBot
ahnguye5 wrote:
Quote:
Can you remind me what the difference is between a messaging phone and a smartphone. I have a Sony Walkman 518. I presume I have a messaging phone. However you may call my kind of phone something different. I just don't really know what the term messaging phone means. Does it just mean non-smartphone? Does it mean a phone designed for text messages? Or does the term mean something else entirely different?


When most people refer to smartphones today, they're usually talking about a phone with a touchscreen, internet access, and apps. Although most smartphones don't have keyboards, ones like the Droid does (pun intended). I like this because you've got you're big touchscreen but you also have the keyboard for fast typing. Kinda like how some people don't enjoy typing on the iPad even though the virtual keyboard is plenty big.

Messaging phones are those that are geared towards text messaging so they'll definitely have a keyboard. That's not to say that they aren't capable of internet access. I personally wouldn't pay for a data plan for a messaging phone because the screens are usually pretty small, and the operating system and browser are weak. For example, my LG Rumor 2's software version (I'm assuming this is the OS) is LX265VO5 and the browser is Infraware Polaris 6.01 -- yeah, whatever that is.

Smartphones have nicer hardware and run the OSes you probably hear a lot about: Apple's iOS, Google's Android, Palm's WebOS, etc.


I have the smartphone plan on my enV touch. The touch screen is a little smaller than smartphone touch screens, but the inside screen is much bigger than screens like blackberries. Overall it's a nifty little phone.
Acecare
Most of the people preferred to have an iPhone. This phone has a large pixel. And it has a bright quality when you are taking a picture.
Tony The Tiger
ahnguye5 wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
O.K. However, as explained in post above, I am still a bit confused on what a 12 key clamshell is classified as in this nomenclature.


I guess those 12 key clamshells, as you refer to them, are just cellphones. They don't get a name because they suck haha. These are the phones that are usually free with a 2-yr or even 1-yr upgrade.


It was not so long ago that phones like the Motorola RAZR and before that Motorola StartTAC were the most popular phones on the market. I still carry a clamshell (a SONY Ericsson Walkman W518a). They are not all free with the basic service plan.
Tony The Tiger
PureReborn wrote:
I did not know camera phones are without zooming capabilities. Obviously, this is a big flaw for the current state of cameraphone technology. I have been seated near people shooting with cameraphones at dusk and darkening conditions and thought it seemed that their images were in focus in the veiwing screen. It must be that what I saw was deceiving.


Well I know Sony (with their craziness) have made camera phones with actually camera lens inside. So those have optical zoom and are actually quiet decent.[/quote]

I carry a SONY Ericsson Walkman W518a. I am not sure what kind of camera capabilities it has in terms of digital zoom. Do you believe that this model has a camera lens inside?
sarcasmrules
Quote:
Camera is one of the most used electronic gadget which can be used for many purposes.There are many camera making companies in the market which makes exclusive and well designed camera.Many mobile companies which provides good quality of camera in their mobile phone.
Urm, what? :/

Anyway, Nokia released their 'PureView' phone which has a 43MP camera Razz
Tony The Tiger
sarcasmrules wrote:
Quote:
Camera is one of the most used electronic gadget which can be used for many purposes.There are many camera making companies in the market which makes exclusive and well designed camera.Many mobile companies which provides good quality of camera in their mobile phone.
Urm, what? :/

Anyway, Nokia released their 'PureView' phone which has a 43MP camera Razz

Are there digital cameras that even capture 43 MP?
riteshk1
I have samsung galaxy grand and its camera clarity is awesome and it has also zoom in camera..
duytam28
Sony developed "Exmor R", a CMOS sensor featuring Sony's independently developed back-illuminated structure, with the aim of creating a camera capable of taking exceptional photographs even by candlelight. "Exmor R" is approximately twice as sensitive (*1) as a conventional front-illuminated CMOS sensor and also features low noise. In a back-illuminated CMOS sensor, light is directed onto the silicon substrate from behind, allowing light to be used with a level of efficiency not possible with conventional front-illuminated pixel structures. Photographers can now create smooth, high-quality images in low light settings, including night scenes. In February 2009, Sony introduced the HDR-XR500V and the HDR-XR520V, the world's first HD video cameras equipped with this back-illuminated CMOS sensor.
Tony The Tiger
riteshk1 wrote:
I have samsung galaxy grand and its camera clarity is awesome and it has also zoom in camera..

I can't believe that this thread is still going on 3 years later. I don't think I had a very good cellphone at the time. I am now on a BlackBerry Torch which has a much better camera than the phone I was using in July 2010, which I think was a Sony Erickson walkman something or other.
Related topics
Google, Yahoo! expand cell-phone options
Cell Phone Incident
My site for cell phone ringtones, wallpapers and softwares
Cell phone Batteries
What's your favourate Cell phone brand?
cell phone to sidekick
Link exchange - Moblie or Cell Phone related sites
Using GPS via Cell Phone
Our cell phone - our life and work
Buzzing sound from speakers when cell phone is about to ring
Software to transfer SMS from cell phone
Make a Web Page for a Cell phone
Driving while on cell phone.....
make game for cell phone (text based)
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.