FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Deep Sea Ghostface?

deanhills
This deep sea creature that was photographed down the Osprey Reef off the Australian Queensland Coast has to be an imitation of Ghostface in the "Scream" movie. Awesome photo!

Deep-sea Amphipod Crustacean
Source: Time.com
Jinx
Now that is cool!
Thanks for sharing. I never cease to be amazed by the amazing forms of creatures they find in the deep oceans. They say life is stranger than fiction, and I have to agree... some of those beasties beat even the most imaginative of sci-fi monsters and alien invaders.
And the ability of these animals to live at such extreme depths is just amazing. All the extreme environments where they keep finding life just gives more hope that we might one day find life on another planet. It will be interesting to see what REAL alien life looks like, and if it can compare to the oddities we're finding in our own oceans.
LittleBlackKitten
LoL, I want one!
nam_siddharth
deanhills wrote:
This deep sea creature that was photographed down the Osprey Reef off the Australian Queensland Coast has to be an imitation of Ghostface in the "Scream" movie. Awesome photo!

Deep-sea Amphipod Crustacean
Source: Time.com

It does not look like ghostface. It looks cute.
tony
Haha; cute? That looks pretty scary to me Razz I guess I'm okay though as I live in-land and when I go to the ocean, I don't go that deep Smile
missdixy
Wow, that is creepy. If I was ever swimming around and suddenly saw that thing near me or whatever, I would freak the hell out. Anyone know how big it is?
standready
Thanks for sharing. Not something I would want to bump into while diving.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Not something I would want to bump into while diving.
Right, me too. But I think it would be at a much deeper depth than we would be diving at. Sort of really deep down in the ocean where it is mostly dark. Got really interesting teeth. Smile
nigam
i really love seeing photos of new found deep sea creature....quite interesting though scary to look at it Smile
ProfessorY91
We have some slightly insane big-eyed-loving people up there... Cute? What's cute about this thing? Its weird teeth that look like they were made to puncture the length of your arm? Or the huge black eyes?

I suggest you go give it a cute hug. Twisted Evil
deanhills
ProfessorY91 wrote:
We have some slightly insane big-eyed-loving people up there... Cute? What's cute about this thing? Its weird teeth that look like they were made to puncture the length of your arm? Or the huge black eyes?

I suggest you go give it a cute hug. Twisted Evil
Agreed. I would hate to bump into that "thing" when I am diving. That would be one sure reason why I won't venture too deep. I also noticed those teeth. Definitely teeth fit for a ghostface of the "Scream" movies fame. Smile
nam_siddharth
Some real scary undersea creatures creatures.

A deep-sea anglerfish with its razor-sharp teeth

A deep-sea anglerfish in Cairns
tingkagol
missdixy wrote:
Anyone know how big it is?

It looks small to me, judging by how the photo was composed.

Searched the web for more weird fishes and found one with a transparent head:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2009/02/photogalleries/fish-transparent-head-barreleye-picture/#fish-transparent-head-barreleye_10442_600x450.jpg
deanhills
nam_siddharth wrote:
Some real scary undersea creatures creatures.
Wow, they are really scary. Now that must be creatures fit for a real nightmare.

tingkagol wrote:
Searched the web for more weird fishes and found one with a transparent head:
Now that is amazing. Just imagine if we all had transparent heads? Wonder what the biological significance would be for a fish with a transparent head?
iman
Well, I guess they're scary because we don't see these kinds of creatures often. If you lived down there in the depths of the oceans, elephants will scare you.
deanhills
iman wrote:
Well, I guess they're scary because we don't see these kinds of creatures often. If you lived down there in the depths of the oceans, elephants will scare you.
Well, if we lived there, maybe we won't be able to see them as they really are. We are not naturally equipped to live at those great depths.
bjornhoogeveen
Wowh, what amazing photographics! That such things exists.. so many thing a simple person don't know!
Arty
How can they possibly take those pictures underwater? Lol

I wonder if I can have one of those in my aquarium.
bjornhoogeveen
Just with special underwater camara things I guess... I got one myself, but that's for in the pool... I don't think they used that one xD!
Magicman
Does anyone know what the name of that creature is? Or whether that is actually its face? There are always strange creatures underwater. It's always amazing how at what those undersea creatures look like.
neildalanon
OMG. They're creepy!
deanhills
Magicman wrote:
Does anyone know what the name of that creature is? Or whether that is actually its face? There are always strange creatures underwater. It's always amazing how at what those undersea creatures look like.
It's called A deep-sea amphipod crustacean but maybe we can nickname it Deapsea Ghostface?

More info quoted from AOLNews:
Quote:
Researchers from Australia's Queensland Brain Institute are using custom-designed remote-control cameras that sit on the sea floor as part of their mission to document marine life they believe is in danger of extinction because oceans are gradually warming across the globe.

"As well as understanding life at the surface, we need to plunge off the walls of Osprey to describe the deep-sea life that lives down to 2000m, beyond the reach of sunlight," lead researcher Justin Marshall said in a statement on the institute's website. He's referring to the Osprey Reef, a section of the Great Barrier Reef about 215 miles off the coast of northeastern Australia.

"We simply do not know what life is down there, and our cameras can now record the behavior and life in Australia's largest biosphere, the deep sea," Marshall said.

Such animals live in an environment untouched by sunlight, where pressure is 140 times stronger than on land. Marshall told London's Daily Mail it could be years before researchers document all the photos and cross-reference them with other known animals, to see if they reveal new species.

Quote:
"Learning more about these creatures' primitive eyes and brain could help neuroscientists to better understand human vision," research student Andy Dunstan said in the same Web statement.
hamza1122
Woah that's cool and creepy. i'll be scared if i saw that lmaoo. it's crazy how deep these fish can go without dying and stuff. I saw a documentary of heaps of the animals that live deep sea and almost all of them look weird and creepy like that one.

A lot of them are also transparent because something to do with no light being able to reach the deep sea area.
ribozon
Oh what a creature, that's why I don't like the seas so much! Razz