FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IPv6

thnn
Wasn't sure where to post this, but decided this was most appropriate

Does anyone use IPv6 on a day to day basis? And does anyone have an IPv6 connection to their ISP?
If so do you notice any improvements over IPv4?

Also do you know how advanced IPv6 conversion is in your area?
tdossi
I think there are only ISP to IPv4.

Sure it has come to IPv6 hard work as even with all IPv4 and configured ... and it is a heiden effort, which carry everything on IPv6, however, IPv6 number of advantages (Erleichetung the routing tables in the public routers, better migration between demise ISPs; possibility of the Mobile contactSupervisory with static IP; extension of the address number; No NAT longer necessary but is exactly what you wish if applicable, built-in security via IPsec, DAD, and all information is available in the router and do not have to be deposited in the DHCP server, these are simply queried by Router Solicitation ... etc. ..)
The-Nisk
Wow, wasn't aware of all these improvements IPv6 had, I thought it was just a larger address pool because of hex numbers. Could anyone post a link to some more info (not wiki, please)?
badai
i'm using linksys router (forget what model, maybe 2 years old) and windows 7 on both computers. one day i notice both computers have ipv6. so i try disable ipv4 and both computer can still see each other. can copy files form other computer. of course after that Internet doesn't work.

PureReborn
I know China just uses IPv6 from the start so everyone there is already using IPv6 (being late to the party helps).

For NA we'll be moving to/are current switching to IPv6 as we go along? I'm actually not sure how that is going. (I'm still IPv4 by default)
Peterssidan
I know I have an IPv6 number. I'm not sure when it uses the IPv6 or the IPv4 number so I don't know if I am able to notice any difference. IPv6 is mostly needed to be able to give all the Internet users unique IP numbers.
tdossi
The transition from one to the other standard will not be easy and would cost tens of billions of dollars. Equipment and software for transmission of data traffic and operating systems may need to be replaced or renewed. And this without compromising ongoing operations.

Behind the scenes, but does, however, a lot. Most operating systems are now fully IPv6-capable, including clients and servers for most services and software such as Router, Advertisement, Daemon, routing software, and DNS server. Anyone who wants to can, so now relatively painless switch to IPv6.

The thought of a conversion to IPv6 provides many administrators and users to frown. Nevertheless, IPv6 is now operational and appropriate transition strategies are available. Ultimately, is currently over-registering Innovation Jam once again mainly on the human factor.
tdossi
IPv6 addresses for all thanks
Although communicating relevant, the network of the future does not really started. The popular operating systems support IPv6 has long since expanded without much fuss. But still the internet access works in IPv4 address shortage, despite no major problems. Unfortunately, because it encourages a certain inertia, and is one of the reasons that prevent the consistent reconstruction.

The development of Internet Protocol version 6, IPv6, began before 1993, because it was already clear then that the standard offered by the current IPv4 address space is running out. But even today, shows IPv6 warmly rare. The reason for the tough acceptance is partly the fact that some of the advantages of IPv6 as IPSec have been backported to IPv4 in order - it is missing in the level of suffering in order to ascend to IPv6.

While operating systems use both protocols side by side to pass the time until the real IPv6, there are on the network side tunnel into the next generation of the Internet. The so-called 6in4 tunnel transports the IPv6 over existing IPv4 lines. One way to a LAN with long IPv6 addresses to the Internet to tie the knot is largely still on IPv4.
menino
The reason for IPV6 is the address space, as tdossi mentioned.

IPV4 has a limitation on the address space, and probably by next year, if not sooner, there won't be many IP's available, mostly supplied by (RIPE [url]ripe.net[/url])

Less address space means that there is a limit of IP's that can be given to corporations and individuals, in the entire world.

IPV4 resolves this problem by having much much more address space, and can accomodate IP's for everyone on the planet, for at least a decade.

THe only problem with the transition is that most ISP's around the world have not implemented it as yet, because they have to disrupt the services of the existing customers, who reply on it for their businesses.
The alternative, is to add IPV6 hardware, and a buffer hardware as well, that sits between the IPV6 and the IPV4 hardware, and does the work of both, untill the transition to IPV6 is done, but this is an arduous task, and really not all that easy to do... and without proper planning, there will be disruption of services.

you can use ipv6 in your lan, but if the ISP doesnt support it as yet, then you can't really use it.
I'm glad that China has started it... I'm not sure about India, though... I will have to check... but some parts of US are using it, including Europe.
ocalhoun
I'm sure IPV6 is better, but it is bothersome sometimes...

(For example, when an old-school techie who hasn't kept up with changes needs to troubleshoot a network...
"Hm... it's using IPV6..."
"Are they on the same subdomain?" "?"
"Does IPV6 even have subdomains?"
*confused*
Also, the addresses are harder to remember. Evil or Very Mad And more trouble to type when doing a ping or tracetroute.)
rockpan
In IPv6 network, everyone have at least one unique IP address, so NAT is not necessary.
So everyone can connect with each other directly.
You needn't use port forward or UPnP when you run FTP server or BT software in IPv6 network which is necessary in NAT of IPv4 network.
snowboardalliance
I've heard that the big companies like Google are going to be testing IPv6 "in the wild" in the coming months on a certain day. Hopefully we can make the switch as we are out of IPv4 addresses (although a lot of them are unused and being reclaimed I thought)
menino
snowboardalliance wrote:
I've heard that the big companies like Google are going to be testing IPv6 "in the wild" in the coming months on a certain day. Hopefully we can make the switch as we are out of IPv4 addresses (although a lot of them are unused and being reclaimed I thought)

Its about time... I'm surprised that only Google has started this initiatie, and not Cisco... or have they?
snowboardalliance
menino wrote:
snowboardalliance wrote:

Its about time... I'm surprised that only Google has started this initiatie, and not Cisco... or have they?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_IPv6_Day
tdossi
Cisco has been on all IPv4 forwarding software platforms (until 7200/7500) in the IPv6 CEF path, so as soon as. On hardware platforms (7600, 12000, CRS-1) it depends on the used line cards, if IPv6 is processed in software or hardware.

IPv6 is currently not really desired, because the rat tail is high for something eneorm (support, support tools, etc.), and as long as no customer request and IPv6 ORDER done, it was only because some of what the initiative of individual employees.

So, if an existing customer wants it, he gets it, but without any guarantees
coolclay
I heard June 8th is IPv6 day? Supposedly all ISP are switching over that day to test everything and find out how smoothly the transfer goes. Is this still being scheduled?
tdossi
On 8 June is IPv6 Day

Some large Internet companies have for 8 June 2011 the world-IPv6-day proclaimed. You want to offer their services on that day for 24 hours over IPv6 is available.

Facebook, Google, Yahoo, Akamai, Limelight Networks and the Internet Society call for testing IPv6 on a global level. On 8 June 2011 they want to enable IPv6 for their main offering. In this way they hope to motivate others to arm their services and equipment for IPv6.

The transition to IPv6 is increasingly urgent, because already this year are expected to forgive the last large blocks of IPv4 addresses. Currently, according to Google's statistics, only about 0.2 percent of all Internet users use IPv6. The major test will show if the IPv6 infrastructure is also under a heavy load of real users, and test error in the different systems and under controlled conditions.

Website and network operators are encouraged to participate in the World-IPv6-day.
tdossi
IPv4 and IPv6 should actually work without problems in parallel. But all kinds of known and previously undiscovered bugs can ensure that some users no longer reach our site. To see whether this really is a problem, let's try it on 16 September simply.
IPv6 has been almost 15 years, the Internet of the future. But it's like many a perpetual talent in football: Nobody wants to play with him. All parties push each other's responsibility for the extremely slow start to IPv6. Most manufacturers of home routers hesitate as long as there are hardly any IPv6 ISP. The providers to refer to a few Web sites that are accessible via IPv6. The Web site operators do not provide as long as they still reach all the surfers in IPv4.
And Internet users have no interest in IPv6 - quite rightly. Finally, there is a protocol on a lower network level. His father is just such a way that all the parent levels continue unchanged. Who www.heise.de now look in the browser, so must know nothing about HTML. And even less interest to them, the underlying HTTP, or even the underlying TCP. So it should also another level deeper IPv4 or IPv6 matter be.

Therefore, one can also use the two protocols in parallel without problems. The browser it does not matter, it loads the elements of a Web page automatically, just as he gets and combines them for display. This so-called "dual-stack operation" represents the path to the IP future, if and when IPv4 times "turned off" is, is not in sight. By then, more and more computer IPv4 and IPv6 use mixed without the user noticing.