FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to convert an Extended Partition into Primary

lightwate
Hi, okay so i'm using windows 7 and i previously made around 5 partitions in my hard drive. But when my C: drive became full, i deleted the 3 partitions in an attempt to extend the size of the partition. But, using windows' Disk Management tool, the extend partition option is not available in C and i'm guessing that it's because my C: has now turned into a logical drive in an extended partition.

Is there a way for me to convert it back to a primary partition without having to recopy over 20gigs of data? Sad

here's a pic:
( i can't even extend it using the 15.37 free space next to it Sad )

thank you very much for your help Very Happy
nam_siddharth
Try Norton Partition Magic.
Fire Boar
nam_siddharth wrote:

Don't.

Converting from Logical to Primary is, as far as I know, not possible. However, it being a Logical partition is not your problem. Actually, the problem is that it's your operating system partition, and resizing it is impossible while mounted. I suggest using an external tool. NOT PartitionMagic - try the free GPartEd utility instead. You can either get its live CD from their website, or if you have or know someone who has an Ubuntu live CD you can find GPartEd on that too: boot it up, press Alt+F2 and type "gksudo gparted" (without quotes) into the box. This will allow you to resize your partitions without any operating system running from your hard disk.
airh3ad
If you have partition magic that could help your problem , in my case i used this software.
lightwate
Fire Boar wrote:
nam_siddharth wrote:

Don't.

Converting from Logical to Primary is, as far as I know, not possible. However, it being a Logical partition is not your problem. Actually, the problem is that it's your operating system partition, and resizing it is impossible while mounted. I suggest using an external tool. NOT PartitionMagic - try the free GPartEd utility instead. You can either get its live CD from their website, or if you have or know someone who has an Ubuntu live CD you can find GPartEd on that too: boot it up, press Alt+F2 and type "gksudo gparted" (without quotes) into the box. This will allow you to resize your partitions without any operating system running from your hard disk.

So, if the problem is resizing it while the OS is booted, then it should work with the windows installer's diskpart tool? I shall try this later and if it doesn't, i'll try using my ubuntu live cd and hopefully that will work. Thank you! i shall post the results tonight xD
lightwate
update: it worked! thanks for the help. i was able to resize it by booting the ubuntu live disk and using Gparted Smile