FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Extending Windows Boot Partition

weableandbob
Recently, my C Drive has been getting really full, and I decided to try to get the 100 gigs that the unused Linux partition was using. I used a Linus Live CD to delete the partition, but now Windows is complaining about extending the boot drive. Windows' built in Diskpart.exe doesn't work, and all 3 versions of Linux I've tried (Slax Live, Fedora 11, and Fedora 13) can't extend to NTFS. Anyone know of a way to get around this?
nam_siddharth
You may try Norton PartitionMagic.
Peterssidan
How about GParted?
Quote:
Supports file systems such as:
ext2/ext3/ext4, FAT16/FAT32, hfs/hfs+, linux-swap, NTFS, reiserfs/4, ufs, xfs file systems.
Fire Boar
Yes, I definitely would advise against PartitionMagic. Why pay for something when GPartEd works perfectly well and is free?
weableandbob
Yeah, I attempted to use GPartEd, but the disc I got may have been faulty, as it didn't detect any of my hard drives for some reason. I'll try another one soon.
Fire Boar
weableandbob wrote:
Yeah, I attempted to use GPartEd, but the disc I got may have been faulty, as it didn't detect any of my hard drives for some reason. I'll try another one soon.

It might be a BIOS setting holding you back: something to do with IDE or AHCI or something (I can't actually remember what it is), I think needs to be set to "Compatability" as opposed to "Enhanced" which is normally the default. It's not a dangerous change to make.
loyal
weableandbob wrote:
Recently, my C Drive has been getting really full, and I decided to try to get the 100 gigs that the unused Linux partition was using. I used a Linus Live CD to delete the partition, but now Windows is complaining about extending the boot drive. Windows' built in Diskpart.exe doesn't work, and all 3 versions of Linux I've tried (Slax Live, Fedora 11, and Fedora 13) can't extend to NTFS. Anyone know of a way to get around this?

I've heard Windows parition can only extend if the free space is directly next to it, on the right. I have free space on my hard drive that I can't use for Windows, because it's not next to the Windows paritition. Maybe that's why you can't seem to expand it?

Peace.
Peterssidan
loyal wrote:
I've heard Windows parition can only extend if the free space is directly next to it, on the right. I have free space on my hard drive that I can't use for Windows, because it's not next to the Windows paritition. Maybe that's why you can't seem to expand it?

The partitions need to be in contiguous memory so if the space next to the partition you want to extend is already used by another partition the files have to be moved before extending the partition. This is likely to result in a lot of files have to be moved on the disk and if a partition is made smaller it must be big enough to contain all it's files. If something goes wrong during this process you will end up with a broken file system and I guess this is the reasons why some tools don't allow it. But a good program should be able to handle this without any problem as long as you don't turn off the power (common sense).
loyal
Peterssidan wrote:
loyal wrote:

The partitions need to be in contiguous memory so if the space next to the partition you want to extend is already used by another partition the files have to be moved before extending the partition. This is likely to result in a lot of files have to be moved on the disk and if a partition is made smaller it must be big enough to contain all it's files. If something goes wrong during this process you will end up with a broken file system and I guess this is the reasons why some tools don't allow it. But a good program should be able to handle this without any problem as long as you don't turn off the power (common sense).

Is it theoretically possible then that an application/program moves files around so that the free space is placed next to the partition? Or maybe it's not if there are two different files systems in use on their respective paritions?

Peace.
Peterssidan
loyal, I'm not sure I understand. I believe the file system is irrelevant as long as the tool supports it. There is a tool in windows called Disk Defragmenter, that moves files closer together, but that is for other reasons (improved locality). It does not moves all files, some can't be moved (system files and the like I guess). But files can always be moved from one place to another so I don't see how it could be theoretically impossible.
loyal
Peterssidan wrote:
loyal, I'm not sure I understand. I believe the file system is irrelevant as long as the tool supports it. There is a tool in windows called Disk Defragmenter, that moves files closer together, but that is for other reasons (improved locality). It does not moves all files, some can't be moved (system files and the like I guess). But files can always be moved from one place to another so I don't see how it could be theoretically impossible.

Hmm. Shame there isn't such a tool then. I'd love for my files to be move around so I could the 15gb of free space that I want for Windows, but isn't next to the Windows partition.

Peace.
ProfessorY91
Peterssidan wrote:
How about GParted?
Quote:
Supports file systems such as:
ext2/ext3/ext4, FAT16/FAT32, hfs/hfs+, linux-swap, NTFS, reiserfs/4, ufs, xfs file systems.

Defragment your drive first. Then use Gparted.
weableandbob
Sorry for the extremely delayed response, but I've been busy with a lot of stuff. So, I tried setting the Storage Configuration in the BIOS from Enhanced to Compatible, but that didn't do anything to help GPartEd to find the drives (still gives (EE) No Devices Found). It's also currently set to IDE as opposed to AHCI, but I really have no idea what that will do, so I don't want to change it without having some information about that.