FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

are dreams maybe real?

nigam
We experience all kinds of dreams while we are asleep but how do we know that one of them is real and perhaps can even change our lives because it came true.

Share your dreams that you think are real, dreams that changes your lives after it happen. Relate the details of your dream so that we the readers can judge if it is real or not. Dreams are supposed to be short stories.
Denvis
Essentially what you're saying is......... Dreams can be real because we make them up while we're sleeping. I don't think dreams are real in any sense...

Wikipedia.com wrote:
Throughout history, people have sought meaning in dreams or divination through dreams.[2] Dreams have been described physiologically as a response to neural processes during sleep, psychologically as reflections of the subconscious, and spiritually as messages from gods, the deceased, predictions of the future or from the Soul, for symbology is the language of the Soul. Many cultures practice dream incubation, with the intention of cultivating dreams that were prophetic or contained messages from the divine.

However... if you believe in the non-sense above.........
Nameless
We know that dreams aren't 'real' because of the lack of consistency or correlation between any given dreams or reality. Technically you could argue that a dream could change your life if you were eg. inspired by it, but that's less the dream itself and more because of what you subconsciously wanted that was causing the dream. If something you dream did then occur in reality it would be safe to assume it was a coincidence given the huge number of dreams that DON'T, plus it still wouldn't make the dream literally real, only an accurate prediction - you can't retroactively alter the meaningful existence of past events.

And I don't even know what to say to the claim that dreams are 'supposed to be' short stories. :/
deanhills
Dreams of the sleeping variety are probably real in a way, as they put all kinds of things together that are going on in our subconscious mind. But the dreaming that is mentioned in the opening posting, I would tend to class under the day dreaming category. I am almost certain that if we day dream in a very focussed way, and repeat the day dreaming as a wish of a kind, that it can come true.
saratdear
As far as I remember, I never had a dream that satisfies the common usage of the word (i.e like saying I dream of being so and so in life) Mine is just of the plain odd variety. Smile
Nameless
deanhills wrote:
I am almost certain that if we day dream in a very focussed way, and repeat the day dreaming as a wish of a kind, that it can come true.

I can disprove this theory in a single word:

DRAGONS.

That is all.
HalfBloodPrince
Well I had a dream that I was trying to lock up and protect my house from a 28 Weeks Later sort of zombie attack as my parents sat there watching TV and not really giving a shit. This is sort of opposite from reality where they would probably book flights to a destination 6000 miles away at the slightest hint of...zombies or something else more plausible. Then this other night I had a dream I was applying to my dream university, randomly became enraged, crumpled up the application and sent mass hate mail to the admissions office of that university. I then rebounded between sleeping, half-sleeping, and being awake (a string of thoughts much like: "oh shit I'm screwed!", "ahh it was just a dream..." "wait was it?" "oh shit I'm screwed!" "ahh"...)

So no, dreams are not like real life, but I sure as hell wish wet dreams came to life.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I am almost certain that if we day dream in a very focussed way, and repeat the day dreaming as a wish of a kind, that it can come true.

I can disprove this theory in a single word:

DRAGONS.

That is all.
Our recall and interpretation of what we dreamt perhaps, as when we recall our dream, there is immediately an element of bias and subjective change, as we are looking at the dream as "my dream" and "my story" and applying it to our present moment experiences. But the actual dream without the recapture and interpretation of what we dreamt has to be real. If not, then where did it come from?
pll
it makes me think about the movie '' Inception '' !!
Okay I think that dreams can't be real but that you can have some hard times finding what's REAL or NOT if your a heavy dreamer.
deanhills
pll wrote:
Okay I think that dreams can't be real but that you can have some hard times finding what's REAL or NOT if your a heavy dreamer.
Reminds me of a dream I had a few years ago. It was weird. I was having a nightmare of a kind, woke up relieved that it was just a dream, then went back to sleep, and "continued" the nightmare, and thought, "oh no..." not a dream. When I finally woke up I was really grateful that it was just a dream, but in that semi-awake-sleep state, you're right, reality was quite blurred.
Shadowninja7194
Sometimes its hard to tell reality from dreams..when your high lol
BigGeek
From the Matrix - Have you ever had a dream that seemed so real, you could not tell the difference between the real world and the dream world?

Uh HUH sure have!

I used to dream the answers to physics problems and math problems when I was in college. I still dream the answers to tough problems at work and on projects, like cars and trucks I'm trying to fix. I have also had some incredibly lucid dreams that came true some time later.

Are dreams real? I guess that depends on your definition of reality.

Have you ever tried to find your hands in a dream. Hold them up in front of you palms out and look at the back of your hands in a dream just like you would in the waking world? The dream goes haywire the first time you do it.

Try and move your gaze from the back of your hands to the dream and back to your hands again, until the dream stabilizes, and investigate the dream, look at it.

After you have done this a few times, come back and tell me dreams aren't real Shocked

Very Happy
deanhills
BigGeek wrote:
I used to dream the answers to physics problems and math problems when I was in college. I still dream the answers to tough problems at work and on projects, like cars and trucks I'm trying to fix. I have also had some incredibly lucid dreams that came true some time later.
Wow! I'm in awe, as that is certainly a gift. Your focus and power of concentration must be pretty powerful to have your sub conscious mind and conscious mind in sync like that.
Jinx
I wish dreams were real, cause then I'd be able to fly and be married to Antonio Bandaras. Of course the planet would also be overrun by invading aliens wearing cupcake hats and I'd be going to work with no pants...
Insanity
Someone's been watching Inception lately! Or the Matrix
Bikerman
I think Inception is possibly at the top of my 'massively overhyped' list of films. It is certainly in the top 3. The SFx are OK - not worldshattering (which I actually think is a plus), the storyline is 20 minutes of complete incomprehension followed by fairly routine plodding, the acting is OK - which is not really good enough for a cast like that, the premis of the film is silly, the scope is small, as is the vision, and there is no grand message or thought provoking sting - the only thing that stayed with me was the feeling of disappointment and puzzlement that so many US critics raved about it. For goodness sake some of them were talking in terms of 'Visual Masterpiece', 'successor to Kubrick', 'ingenious and a conceptual tour de force'. Those from the critics at Variety, Rolling Stone and IGM - jesus wept, have these morons ever seen a Kubrick film or a real visual masterpiece I wonder? If so then they are either simple minded or for sale.
It was a typical Nolan film, plenty of half developed ideas that get lost, notions of grand and eternal themes and messages that never develop, ideas taken, like a magpie, from here and there - here the Matrix, there an Ealing crime 'caper'. Quite restrictive in plot development when it could have broken free a couple of times, aesthetically drap and lifeless and all in all nothing memorable at all. Very average - 4/10, and not fit to be a second feature for any Kubrick film, let alone be compared to the best of them....
spring567
I think most of dreams can be true.
LostOverThere
Bikerman wrote:
I think Inception is possibly at the top of my 'massively overhyped' list of films. It is certainly in the top 3. The SFx are OK - not worldshattering (which I actually think is a plus), the storyline is 20 minutes of complete incomprehension followed by fairly routine plodding, the acting is OK - which is not really good enough for a cast like that, the premis of the film is silly, the scope is small, as is the vision, and there is no grand message or thought provoking sting - the only thing that stayed with me was the feeling of disappointment and puzzlement that so many US critics raved about it. For goodness sake some of them were talking in terms of 'Visual Masterpiece', 'successor to Kubrick', 'ingenious and a conceptual tour de force'. Those from the critics at Variety, Rolling Stone and IGM - jesus wept, have these morons ever seen a Kubrick film or a real visual masterpiece I wonder? If so then they are either simple minded or for sale.

Bikerman, by any chance have you ever done an MBTI? If so, do you register as an S and not an N?
Bikerman
No I haven't, but just for you I did.
Personality test results

Ta-dah, your personality type is ISTP!
Introverted (I) 68% Extraverted (E) 32%
Sensing (S) 59% Intuitive (N) 41%
Thinking (T) 75% Feeling (F) 25%
Perceiving (P) 77% Judging (J) 23%

Didn't think much of it, to be honest. Simplistic and coarse-grained questions...Not sure what it actually shows, though I know what it claims to..

PS - whoever wrote it is IF and not great on TJ (or is just lazy) - 8 spelling errors.....tut.
LostOverThere
Very interesting, thanks Bikerman. Smile
nigam
deanhills wrote:
pll wrote:
Reminds me of a dream I had a few years ago. It was weird. I was having a nightmare of a kind, woke up relieved that it was just a dream, then went back to sleep, and "continued" the nightmare, and thought, "oh no..." not a dream. When I finally woke up I was really grateful that it was just a dream, but in that semi-awake-sleep state, you're right, reality was quite blurred.

i had a dream that was 8 yrs. ago...it was weird too.....one night , i heard crying on the first floor (i was sleeping that time)..i just listen to it...and i woke up with it and still i heard somebody's crying...i didn't mind it...i thought it was just a dream....on the 2nd night, i heard footsteps...(its like going to my room) so i woke up and still it was there...heard footsteps...that time, i was really thinking it was a real one! so i told my parents about what happened. so i asked that time to slept in their room with my older brother...on the third night, it was footsteps again going to our room...so i tried not to sleep so i can really see what is this all about....i really felt sleepy so i wanted to close my eyes..and you know what came right beside on my bed? it was newly wed couple...wore wedding white dress for the bride and a black tuxedo for the groom and they said "help me" and i can't hardly see their face! so i shouted and everyone woke up...i thought i was going to get crazy...so we went to a quack doctor and ask help and it was him who let those spirits away from me.i said to myself it was a real dream.
bjornhoogeveen
Without doing any reasearch, and knowing of it, I would think bout it. I don't think dreams ARE real. I think it is just your thought, but because you are asleep it is not clever what you are thining, so a lot of weird things happens. Do you ever had a clever dream, witch was correct to the real world? Well, I don't...

Just how I think about it Razz !

Oh... about the guy before me: you let me almost think in another way... Scary man :S !
goutha
Have you watched inception?
driftingfe3s
I've had dreams where things that have happened can not happen in the real world. For example I've had dreams where i'm in a robot fighting a huge monster and dreams where people teleport in front of me and then start to melt. I don't know how any of that can be real or have or will happen in real life.

I'm sure everyone has had unreal dreams. For example I'm sure most people have had dreams that they are flying without the aid of any special device. There is no way that these dreams can be real.
CreativeWriters
I guess it really depends on your idea of reality whether or not dreams can be real.

For me, I know that when I first started working on triggering lucid dreams, I had some crazy things going on. For instance, the hand thing BigGeek was talking about earlier. Another thing that can provide quite an uneasy feeling is actually focusing on what's in the mirror in dreams; at least for me. When I looked back at my dream journal, I realized that there was usually a mirror of some sort in my dreams so I decided to try to train myself to use that as a cue to let myself know I was dreaming. The first time I consciously looked in a mirror in a dream, it freaked me out because everything was distorted and fuzzy....almost like I was looking through a cheap two-way mirror at a haunted attraction or something.

Quote:
even change our lives because it came true

I've never had a dream that has changed my life, or even one that has inspired me. I've had dreams based on ideas I've had or a new philosophy I've read about but that's about it.
ProfessorY91
Ah, Bikerman summed it up nicely. Inception was over-hyped. Still, compared to the other bullshit that's come out recently, I think it was refreshing to watch something that had a little thought put into it. I'm pretty tired of going to the theater only to be disappointed by a mediocre performance (like the Sorceror's Apprentice, etc).

Back on topic; dreams are what I believe to be manifestations of our thought processes as we sleep. Nothing more.
deanhills
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Back on topic; dreams are what I believe to be manifestations of our thought processes as we sleep. Nothing more.
Are you sure that they are manifestations of our thought processes only? I thought that there our emotions are very much involved as well in our dreams, especially the suppressed ones. Things that are going on in our subconscious that are not always evident to our conscious minds?
achowles
Dreams could potentially show you some insight on your life that you're otherwise either blind to or at least keen to ignore. But generally I don't see much point in putting too much stock in them.
Bikerman
As I think I've said before, I see dreams as an opportunity for the brain to do some maintenance. Trying to make sense of some of the perceptions that you had during the day; sorting and filing bits of memory in the right 'files'; replaying parts of memories to attach significance or connect them to other memories - that sort of stuff.

There is a lot of research into dreams, and lots more being done, so I'm probably way behind the curve on this and I suggest people do some research for themselves:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_neuroscience_of_dreams
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
As I think I've said before, I see dreams as an opportunity for the brain to do some maintenance. Trying to make sense of some of the perceptions that you had during the day; sorting and filing bits of memory in the right 'files'; replaying parts of memories to attach significance or connect them to other memories - that sort of stuff.
Don't think I can agree with the brain sorting during dreaming. Dreaming in my experience is usually involuntary and spontaneous, like a collage of experiences, emotions, impressions that are drawn together. Then when I wake up, and the brain try to sort through the dream to recall it, the dream immediately seems to take on another fuzzy reality that feels completely different to the actual dream. Probably one needs more than just the mechanical sorting brain to remember the essence of a dream.
sandypawn
I think dreams are not real. Dream is sub-conscious state of mind. If you are thinking something sub-consciously , you might see a dream about that thing.
The-Nisk
This belongs in the philosophy section I think.

I definitely wouldn't argue that dreams are real, but then again I really like the philosophical idea that "the world is an illusion". Then there's the curious argument put forward by the Matrix (or whoever the the directors/writers were inspired by) that our reality is based on what is perceived by our senses, if those senses can be emulated/simulated - what then is real? I just like it because it makes my imagination take a plunge ^^

I'm perfectly fine with the scientific explanation of dreams, that it's a maintenance process, however why must it be just the one thing? I'm sure more than one thing can be happening while sleeping since more than one thing is happening while you are awake? Naturally I'd defend science, before any other claims, but I've had experiences science failed to explain. Amongst those is foreseeing the future in my dreams, or have a dream come true - if you feel uncomfortable with the concept of foretelling. It wasn't a deja vu, not that time, I get deja vus a lot and I can tell the difference (although technically speaking i did see before what has happened). And no, I'm not satisfied by the current 'scientific explanation' of deja vus either, I'm not an idiot and when something doesn't add up or smells fishy, I can tell, or at least my mind can, but sometimes i can't explain why. Scientific explanation of deja vus sounded like something written by an average student who just want his name to be known, a.k.a. complete rubbish.

I remember reading that little bit of 'A Brief History Of Time' that I did read, and in it he talked about how in a collapsing universe time could (or was it would?) flow backwards so we would get the effect of not remembering yesterday but remembering tomorrow - now to me, personally that sounded completely retarded....but I don't know physics well enough to hold an argument, although it's all theory anyway. But the thing about remembering the future - i didn't like one bit, time flowing backwards too.

However, when I consider my brain as a computational device and the fact that my subconscious is capable of some pretty amazing calculations, I'm inclined to think that there might be a possibility where my subconscious is able to navigate between a little bit of probabilities, given out of the current events/circumstances/reality of my life and piece together a fuzzy picture of what could happen. (If you want, keep quantum mechanics in mind, although of which i know little too actually) Throw in subconscious desires, emotions, past memories and imagination and I'd be inclined to accept that as the DNA make-up of dreams, if you will.

Since I have a big imagination, I could also throw in things like MWI, time travel (seen the film deja vu? in that sense) etc etc. We are talking about something as silly as dreams after all Smile

That's just my take on it.
Greatking
believe me you guys dreams are real! i have experienced them in my life countless times. i had a dream many years a go that i was singing in the midst of a crowd at church, today its happening, i had a dream also that i was writing down songs to day i am doing them. i could go on and on. we must take dreams seriously, pray about them good or bad, take the advice and destroy the bad ones in the name of Jesus. and call it done!
truespeed
Greatking wrote:
believe me you guys dreams are real! i have experienced them in my life countless times. i had a dream many years a go that i was singing in the midst of a crowd at church, today its happening, i had a dream also that i was writing down songs to day i am doing them. i could go on and on. we must take dreams seriously, pray about them good or bad, take the advice and destroy the bad ones in the name of Jesus. and call it done!

No surprise that Jesus and the church comes into validating your dreams are real theory.
deanhills
Greatking wrote:
I'm open for all possibilities. Except I'm not that good at dream recalling. I find the moment my mind starts to "recall", it changes the flavour of that dream, while that dream is disappearing. Almost like the mind wants to make the dream true for my day time reality so that I can make sense of it.
toasterintheoven
watch dreamscape, it'll make you think, dreams have always been really good to me