FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Alien Swarm (Free!)

Dementei

Hey guys, so yesterday Alien Swarm was released after 2 years in the making.
Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community.

Quote:
Available free of charge, the game thrusts players into an epic bug hunt featuring a unique blend of co-op play and squad-level tactics. With your friends, form a squad of four distinct IAF Marine classes. Plan your attack using an unlockable arsenal of weapons with countless loadout configurations against a wide variety of aliens. Blaze your way through an overrun, off-world colony, eradicating the alien infestation in environments ranging from the icy planet's surface, to a subterranean lava-flooded mining facility.

Quote:
    * Tactical, 4 player co-op action game with a top-down perspective
    * Complete game code and mod tools
    * Unlock persistent items by gaining levels
    * Over 40 weapons and equipment with countless loadout configurations
    * 4 unique classes and 8 unique characters
    * Matchmaking, Steam Cloud, Steam Stats
    * 64 achievements
    * Tile-based map generation tool
    * Powered by Source and Steam

(Added link to download.)
Aulos
I've been meaning to install something for my Steam account here... but I hope my crappy PC can handle it. Besides that, it looks interesting.
QrafTee
It's pretty fun, unfortunately there is only one campaign right now. I guess the level up system can keep it fresh for a little while longer, but it was disappointing when I found out there wasn't much left after the last level of the campaign. I suppose I could play on the Hard difficulty--I hate parasites.
menino
Hey thanks for referring the free game.
I'll check it out and let you know how it is.
achowles
I've been playing it quite a bit already and it's fantastic. I like the fact that it's balanced enough for people of all levels to play together as levelling up only unlocks new weapons which are useful in different situations, but not necessarily more powerful overall.

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of content right now. Modders won't be slow to add in more campaigns. Especially given how easy Valve have made it to do so. In fact Valve might be adding more content to it over time like they have with the L4D games and TF2. That was all released for free too (on PC).

The only downside is the parasites, or rather their frequency. One or two at a bad time could have added to the challenge and drama. But they're spammed and it just becomes stupid near the end. That's usually the kind of thing that Valve eliminate from their games. Hopefully this will be sorted in time.
Dementei
Yea those parasites are a real challenge. They need tweaked, definitely. I used electric armor like right when they would jump on me, but it still didn't kill them. They kill in a few seconds if you have several of them on you. And I was a medic with a beacon open, standing in it, haha. But other than those critters the game is perfect. I beat the campaign in Hard mode, I have yet to try Expert though.

I am a mapper and I was excited to try mapping for this game, and it's pretty cool it comes with TileGen, used for easy map creation. So basically anyone could add a map for this game, really. Try it out. Also get the Alien Swarm SDK as well, so if you know how to map you can edit your layout used in TileGen.
QrafTee
Dementei wrote:
Yea those parasites are a real challenge. They need tweaked, definitely. I used electric armor like right when they would jump on me, but it still didn't kill them. They kill in a few seconds if you have several of them on you. And I was a medic with a beacon open, standing in it, haha. But other than those critters the game is perfect. I beat the campaign in Hard mode, I have yet to try Expert though.

I am a mapper and I was excited to try mapping for this game, and it's pretty cool it comes with TileGen, used for easy map creation. So basically anyone could add a map for this game, really. Try it out. Also get the Alien Swarm SDK as well, so if you know how to map you can edit your layout used in TileGen.
Honestly, the game is too easy without parasites--they're the only real challenge.

However, I have also encountered a bug with the electric armor. I find I have to press 1 twice for it to work (and it will only register its use once when I press 1 twice).
LostOverThere
Yeah, heard about this the other day. I shall be downloading this in my off peak time tonight!

Hooray for 4am downloads!
weableandbob
I've been playing it since it came out, and it's quite fun, albeit a bit like Left 4 Dead. It kind of sucks that they nerfed the tesla cannon so badly =(
Radar
I've heard good things about this game, and it looks impressive from the trailer - however, sadly, I soon discovered that it's not for Mac.

That's what I get for downloading Portal for Mac and not fully realising that that was the exception.
amperx
neat game! thanks for sharing this free game, Very Happy
gtsmatrix
I like the game its fun and all but I wish it was first person.
LostOverThere
gtsmatrix wrote:

These might be for you then. Wink

http://store.steampowered.com/app/500/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/
QrafTee
gtsmatrix wrote:
First person, y'say? Well Alien Swarm was built on the same engine as Left 4 Dead (Source Engine) so... it's possible to play in first person, but remember it'll be harder to see aliens coming from behind. Check this out: http://www.ripten.com/2010/07/21/play-alien-swarm-in-first-person-sam-n/
Rajiev
achowles wrote:
I've been playing it quite a bit already and it's fantastic. I like the fact that it's balanced enough for people of all levels to play together as levelling up only unlocks new weapons which are useful in different situations, but not necessarily more powerful overall.

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of content right now. Modders won't be slow to add in more campaigns. Especially given how easy Valve have made it to do so. In fact Valve might be adding more content to it over time like they have with the L4D games and TF2. That was all released for free too (on PC).

The only downside is the parasites, or rather their frequency. One or two at a bad time could have added to the challenge and drama. But they're spammed and it just becomes stupid near the end. That's usually the kind of thing that Valve eliminate from their games. Hopefully this will be sorted in time.

I was looking at your posts and found this thread, hence the game.
Lets see how it goes Smile
william
I've been playing it (offline anyway) for the past few days (downloaded it when it came out, finally got around to it), and it's fantastic. It's not super-challenging by any measure, but it's very balanced. I did feel the parasites were simply flowing in at an unnecessary rate at some points, but it's not a big deal. I do look forward to upcoming content; in fact I may try my own hand at it if I ever get the time. And perhaps Valve will do the same.

To those who don't have it, I highly recommend it. You've got nothing to lose (it's free after all) and it's great fun.
Rajiev
I hate it when its too dark Sad

Not htat I'm afraid of dark or something :p But cant see the enemies or friends Wink