FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How many Operating System exist in this world?

elegant
Hello Everyone,

Greetings.

Anyone knows how many operating systems exist in this world and why microsoft windows is most popular.
fladry
How many oprating systems are there? i don't think there is any count because you can easily tweak the source of the smaller open source operating systems and make it your operating system. Windows is the most popular among them because it is one of the best os and it is already used in lots of computers. And, large amount of softwares are made for windows.
Jean-Clod
Well, for Desktops/Servers, there are 4 main types of operating systems: Windows, and the three UNIX-based ones: Linux, MacOS, BSD
most OS' are based on those. I know, there are ones that aren't forks of those, but these aren't really used anymore

But I am no expert
Fire Boar
There are thousands. For computers, the most popular are Windows, Linux and Mac OS, with various UNIX derivatives occupying the rest of the market. The only one not based on UNIX is Windows, and it suffers for it. Nevertheless, Windows is popular because it's already popular. It's circular.

For the average layperson, this is how it works. They resist change, they stick with what they know. When there's an upgrade, since most people use Windows, all computers come with it preinstalled. People buy it, hate it because it's not the same as the last version, get used to it, and the cycle repeats.

Building on this familiarity, when the average person turns on a computer they see the Windows logo. They start to think, Windows is their computer, without decoupling it from the operating system. They then start to expect the Windows logo to appear every time they turn on any computer, and get confused and worried if/when things are different. So organizations tend to use Windows too, and commercial companies make software for Windows.
metalfreek
Well, there are so many OS and its hard to count them all but here are some popular OS.
1. Windows OS (XP, Vista, Windows 7 etc)
2. Mac OS
3. UNIX
4. Linux (Ubuntu, RedHat, Ferdora and many many more. basically all these OS are made from same linux kernel or some modified version of kernel)
5. Sun Solaris OS
Jean-Clod
Yeah, forgot about Solaris
Radar
Too many, or not enough, depending on whether looking at as a user trying to make a decision or whether you're searching for the perfect system for your needs.
gonzales
There are many Operating System exist in this world.
Objex
Odin
Omega 4
OnCore
PDOS
PEACE
Pebble
Pegasos
RMOS
RMS 68k
Roadrunner
ROME
Rome
RSTS/E
nam_siddharth
gonzales wrote:
Objex
Odin
Omega 4
OnCore
PDOS
PEACE
Pebble
Pegasos
RMOS
RMS 68k
Roadrunner
ROME
Rome
RSTS/E

Shocked
Never heard about any.
ProwerBot
Theres even a couple like chromium OS.... takes about 2 seconds to boot after POST. That's because it's only a web browser though lol.
mukesh
gonzales wrote:
Objex
Odin
Omega 4
OnCore
PDOS
PEACE
Pebble
Pegasos
RMOS
RMS 68k
Roadrunner
ROME
Rome
RSTS/E

really its hard to count how many operating system in all over world but major operating system i this list fine Smile
parat1
Hi Guys i don't know any idea for this question.I know only some famous operating that use normally.Thanks to share posts..............
ankur209
Uncountable....!!

Every Month a new Distro is cuming in the market...!!
new Version....Of every OS is cumin'...u can't count them...!! Idea
nivinjoy
The question seems to be unanswerable I feel..Because there are many and many operating systems in the world either existing or being developed daily. Those who know well about the inside of computer system and know to tweak it can very easily develop a new operating system and name it whatever they want.

I feel there are many operating systems existing and the most famous of all are:

Microsoft Windows

Linux

Ubuntu

Mac Os X

So the question of how many operating systems exist is quite difficult to answer and doesn't have any perfect answer..!!
LostOverThere
Just to clarify, what are we defining an Operating system as? How it is defined could yield some seriously different answers.
nivinjoy
LostOverThere wrote:
Just to clarify, what are we defining an Operating system as? How it is defined could yield some seriously different answers.

This might help i hope..!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system
jilbs
i think this website will answer your question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems

cheers Very Happy
LostOverThere
Quote:

Quote:

i think this website will answer your question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_operating_systems

cheers Very Happy

This isn't exactly what I meant. I more meant are we considering all Linux distributions to be one operating system, or each main distribution as an operating system (eg: Ubuntu), or spinoff distributions as their own operating systems (Ubuntu Light, etc.).
selim06
LostOverThere wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

cheers Very Happy

This isn't exactly what I meant. I more meant are we considering all Linux distributions to be one operating system, or each main distribution as an operating system (eg: Ubuntu), or spinoff distributions as their own operating systems (Ubuntu Light, etc.).

that's a good question. many computer scientists have their own distributions of unix based operating systems. and if you're a system admin, you're very likely to modify a source code and create your own operating system. therefore it's virtually impossible to count operating systems.