FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question about L2TP and ports

Helios
My current setup is: a wired Edimax router configured to use L2TP which is connected via ethernet to a cable modem (cable connection, yes?). 5 MBps download rate, 512Kbps upload rate, if it matters at all.

Problem is, when I had MPLS I could simply open ports in my NAT configurations inside the router, go to http://www.canyouseeme.org , check that the ports are open and all is well.
Now with L2TP, every port I try to open shows up like it's closed, for example:
Quote:
Error: I could not see your service on {IP ADDRESS} on port (42345)
Reason: Connection timed out

My ISP told me to buy a new router from them... right... well maybe that is the best solution but I thought I'd check first. Maybe (probably) they're trying to lure me into a deal and god knows if it will do any good.
Darknight2266
Quote:
My ISP told me to buy a new router from them... right... well maybe that is the best solution but I thought I'd check first. Maybe (probably) they're trying to lure me into a deal and god knows if it will do any good.

There's no way to fix it without buying a new. Your ISP told you the right thing.
Fire Boar
Not necessarily "from them" though. You should find a decent router on the market, and check that your ISP allows the use of routers not provided by them (if not then they're a RUBBISH ISP). You almost always get a better deal that way.