FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Vindictus (Free! - Now in Open Beta!)

Dementei

Genre: Fantasy MOGAction (Multiplayer Online Game)
Developer: Nexon
Engine: Source Engine
Platform: Windows
Release: Q4 2010

Quote:
free-to-play action-oriented massively multiplayer online role-playing game

Quote:
The name was changed from Mabinogi Heroes to Vindictus. Vindictus is said to be derived from two words: Vindicate (maintain, uphold, or defend, OR clear of accusation, blame, suspicion, or doubt with supporting proof) and Vindictive (having or showing a strong or unreasoning desire for revenge). The people are fighting against fomors, various types of monsters, for what seems endless centuries desperately waiting for their black winged goddess, Morrighan, to take them to Erinn, a place without pain and illness. They try to survive and entirely eradicate the formors while praying that Morrighan will finally come and save them. Note: Mabinogi Fantasy Life takes place after Mabinogi Heroes/Vindictus, already starting in Erinn.

Screenshots:

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindictus_%28video_game%29
Dementei
I am bumping this thread, guys need to really check this game out. It is no doubt an epic game. Closed Beta just ended, so register now and fill in a spot for the next beta if you want to try it and help out. http://vindictus.nexon.net/
weableandbob
Looks good, but I don't know if it's really using the Source engine. I'm pretty sure only Valve/Valve game mods can use it.
adri
Dementei wrote:

Quote:
The name was changed from Mabinogi Heroes to Vindictus. Vindictus is said to be derived from two words: Vindicate (maintain, uphold, or defend, OR clear of accusation, blame, suspicion, or doubt with supporting proof) and Vindictive (having or showing a strong or unreasoning desire for revenge). The people are fighting against fomors, various types of monsters, for what seems endless centuries desperately waiting ....

Looking interesting and it's good to see that there are also free games being developed. The sad thing is that this game is for Windows and I have a Mac. Sad

Adri
Dementei
weableandbob wrote:
Looks good, but I don't know if it's really using the Source engine. I'm pretty sure only Valve/Valve game mods can use it.

I can assure you it uses the Source engine, it is quite unbelievable and never have I ever seen Source to such potential!
Dementei
adri wrote:

Looking interesting and it's good to see that there are also free games being developed. The sad thing is that this game is for Windows and I have a Mac. Sad

Adri

Ah, well.. time to dual boot! Very Happy
kemal44
um nice site success
slashnburn99
Love free good stuff

Day of defeat kept me going for years
missdixy
My boyfriend has been trying to make me try this game but I don't know...I'm not huge on MMO-type games where there are so few race/class combination. Part of what makes a game fun for me is to make a lot of 'alts' and get to try many different abilities/playstyles. I like options, and variety (not just personally, but in the world I'm playing in).

That said, I've seen my boyfriend playing and the game at least looks somewhat fun, and the graphics look pretty awesome, too.
milleja46
This is probably one of the best games i've played except for the dialog parts once you get into the game and are going through story....but otherwise a great game....i love early access beta!!!!
achowles
Perhaps ironically, F2P is probably the most lucrative business model in gaming right now. So I don't know if you can actually call it free.

It looks nice and pretty, but I'm not really into MMOs, personally.
Dementei
achowles wrote:
Perhaps ironically, F2P is probably the most lucrative business model in gaming right now. So I don't know if you can actually call it free.

It looks nice and pretty, but I'm not really into MMOs, personally.

If you take a look at the gameplay videos, it ain't nothing like your average free MMO. It's real-time fighting with brutal grappling attacks and combos. And if you see the boss battles, they are incredible..

achowles
Dementei wrote:
If you take a look at the gameplay videos, it ain't nothing like your average free MMO. It's real-time fighting with brutal grappling attacks and combos. And if you see the boss battles, they are incredible..

Certainly pretty. But the polar bear spends half the time completely motionless, then it takes an absolute age to kill. I don't see the advantage to that, personally. I would have thought less opportunities to attack, but less health to knock off would have made it more engaging without dramatically increasing the difficulty.

The spider boss seems a fair bit better though.
milleja46
the reason that polar bear probably takes so long, is because it's probably a tough boss, and usually take awhile to beat...because as far as i know you don't experience it early on, it's a boss like later in the game....the spider is the first boss, because of some manipulation some character in the game, that made it mad...
achowles
milleja46 wrote:
the reason that polar bear probably takes so long, is because it's probably a tough boss, and usually take awhile to beat...

Well, my point is that it could have been a tough boss simply by providing fewer and narrower windows of opportunity. In other words, a contest of skill, as opposed to being what can be best described as an endurance competition.

Now I'm not saying it's a bad game. Merely that I hope that it's a bad example.
Dementei
achowles wrote:
milleja46 wrote:
the reason that polar bear probably takes so long, is because it's probably a tough boss, and usually take awhile to beat...

Well, my point is that it could have been a tough boss simply by providing fewer and narrower windows of opportunity. In other words, a contest of skill, as opposed to being what can be best described as an endurance competition.

Now I'm not saying it's a bad game. Merely that I hope that it's a bad example.

If you just go and play it, it's a brilliant game.. very fun and very beautiful graphics with the Source engine. Don't debate, go play. Very Happy
milleja46
The only way it's "bad" is if you have a incompetent computer like i do, it's still pretty good, yet, still it's somewhat good, but would be better on a more advanced computer. Since i have simple errors caused by out of date stuff on my computer i can't find support or updates for.