FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wargaming

Aulos
Does anyone here play games such as Warhammer or Flames of War? I've recently been brought into Warhammer 40k, and I'm finding it a lot of fun. The modeling and painting aspect is very appealing, and getting to have a grand battle with your armies is just extra fun. Basically, just talk about your wargaming experiences.
coolclay
I've never heard the term "wargaming" what exactly does this type of game entail? Is it similar to Risk?
Aulos
First of all, Wikipedia and Google are your friends, but here's the best explanation I could come up with:

I suppose one could consider Risk a wargame, but the difference is that Risk is primarily a board game. Wargaming puts in the role of commander of a military force, where each of your units is represented with an appropriate model, rather than a single figure to represent an entire regiment or company. You play out these scenarios on a smaller "in game" scale... such as a town, or the roads of a ravaged city, but the actual table space used to play will be much larger than a Risk board. It's much more of simulation. It's similar to the genre of RTS (Real Time Strategy) video games, but I've never heard of resource management in the official rules of wargaming franchise, but I guess, with house rules, you could go nuts. Similarly, combat is very complex. Each unit is equipped with their own weapons, and these have certain ranges (measured with tape measures, or certain templates in the case of flamethrowers or giant explosive shells). Damage calculations and special rules are usually determined by the luck of a dice roll. There's also a very deep background to many of these games set in sci-fi or fantasy.
coolclay
Sweet that sounds quite interesting and very complex! Sounds like a long process, how long to these "games" normally last, years? Obviously not playing straight but I mean before a winner is declared?
Aulos
Well, normally.. as little as an hour, to as long as a few days, in the case of Apocalypse, where multiple armies of very large size are fielded. I hope to play one of those soon.
mugundhan
Aulos wrote:
Does anyone here play games such as Warhammer or Flames of War? I've recently been brought into Warhammer 40k, and I'm finding it a lot of fun. The modeling and painting aspect is very appealing, and getting to have a grand battle with your armies is just extra fun. Basically, just talk about your wargaming experiences.

NO
chivalry11
I've been immersed in the Games Workshop series of Warhammer and W40K for a bit over a decade now so I guess you can say I'm a veteran. Began with a basic Ultramarine Space Marine army in Epic Space Marine, then switched to a 2000 point army for Orc and Goblins, then became a Dawn of War geek on the PC, now quite a fan of the Black Library's series of novels particularly the Imperial Guards novels by Dan Abnett.

Quite an evolution I guess, but there's always something to get involved in Warhammer; be it the painting or the modellling. Or carried away with winning tournaments. Or reading up of the various lore of the series - I don't see myself leaving this part of my life for least few decades Very Happy
acidrain
no sorry .....but warhammer is great
berend
world of warcraft ist the best game ever and the elder scrolls ckyrim
anglianvoip
Are we talking here about wargaming as in on a computer World of Warcraft (WOW) type or small figurines (such as those you get from games workshop). This will have a major change on the thread...

K
anglianvoip
Either way both of these require a shed load of spare time WoW also has no end state as far as i can see people do challenges/quests whatever you call them and never will do them all as its so massive...

Warhammer takes an age but i suppose atleast you can complete it...

K
anglianvoip
As a complete non-gamer how long does it take to complete a game of warhammer 40k. I think this may be a how long is a piece of string question but using the standard 40k starter pack from games workshop how long would a 100% standard game take to play???

K