FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Browser of India....

ankur209
Epic - First Web browser from India:

You have been using Google Chrome,Mozilla Firefox,Opera,Safari and
Internet Explorer so far.But wait,here's a new browser from India
named Epic,made by a Hyderabad based software company.This Web browser is powered by Mozilla Firefox.

Hogwarts
Besides this belonging in the software section, this browser looks to be an.. incredulously dumb idea with a typically obnoxious name.

http://tnerd.com/2010/07/15/epic-browser-indias-first-web-browser-worlds-first-browser-with-antivirus/
nam_siddharth
ankur209 wrote:

You have been using Google Chrome,Mozilla Firefox,Opera,Safari and
Internet Explorer so far.But wait,here's a new browser from India
named Epic,made by a Hyderabad based software company.This Web browser is powered by Mozilla Firefox.

I will like to use this browser. But can I have this browser with my mozilla firefox browser. One cannot have two versions of Mozilla Firefox on same computer.
Arty
What is so different about it from Firefox?

And it has antivirus? That is one of the most pointless ideas ever implemented in a browser...
Bikerman
Not if it is aimed at customers who have no ready access to off-the-shelf AV packages - either because of availability or money...makes sense to me.
nam_siddharth
Arty wrote:
What is so different about it from Firefox?

You can write in Indian languages easily using English keyboard and as you have noticed it has antivirus.

Arty wrote:
And it has antivirus? That is one of the most pointless ideas ever implemented in a browser...

Most of viruses a PC gets come from surfing websites, so a browser with inbuilt antivirus is actually a brilliant idea.
Hogwarts
Bikerman wrote:
Not if it is aimed at customers who have no ready access to off-the-shelf AV packages - either because of availability or money...makes sense to me.

There are plenty of free antivirus programs available that don't come in tacky, bloatware bundles. Not only that, but they also protect you from malware that you don't obtain through your web browser -- which is kind of important.

nam_siddharth wrote:
Arty wrote:

Most of viruses a PC gets come from surfing websites, so a browser with inbuilt antivirus is actually a brilliant idea.

And yet, antivirus software that isn't bundled with a browser covers everything! Yes, that even includes your web browser! Shocked

Not to mention, most viruses don't come from websites. Don't you mean "malware"? Rolling Eyes
deanhills
ankur209 wrote:
Applause Congratulations Ankur. High time that a country with a power house of software technology in Bangalore to the almost equivalent of Silicon Valley create its own browser. Why did it take them so long? Smile I'm almost certain it is going to make a contribution to browsers in general, especially the inbuilt anti-virus system. Contribute some new ideas as well.
Aulos
Looks rather interesting actually. I might download this and try it out. Might keep it on the hard drive as a "novelty". Smile
Bikerman
Hogwarts wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

There are plenty of free antivirus programs available that don't come in tacky, bloatware bundles. Not only that, but they also protect you from malware that you don't obtain through your web browser -- which is kind of important.
I think we are talking about different people. I mean the sort of person who receives a cheapo UN-sponsored machine way in the back of beyond somewhere. They probably don't speak english, have no experience using the internet and the nearest tech support may be 3 or 4 days away. For such users (and there are quite a lot on the sub-continent) this makes good sense to me. They are not going to be ftp'ing and p2p'ing - they are going to be browsing the web, geting basic info on health-care, crops etc.
Hogwarts
Bikerman wrote:
I think we are talking about different people. I mean the sort of person who receives a cheapo UN-sponsored machine way in the back of beyond somewhere. They probably don't speak english, have no experience using the internet and the nearest tech support may be 3 or 4 days away. For such users (and there are quite a lot on the sub-continent) this makes good sense to me. They are not going to be ftp'ing and p2p'ing - they are going to be browsing the web, geting basic info on health-care, crops etc.
You're wrong. I'm not talking about exclusively people who spend their time "ftp'ing and p2p'ing". Windows Live, Outlook Express. Assuming they're using Windows machines at all, this is inferior -- and not just because there are infinite applications besides browsers malware can target users through. For example, the Windows networking stack was previously broken and anybody without a router was vulnerable to this -- just by being connected to the internet.

Consider these two cases,
  • User downloads trojan horse from malicious looking download website
  • "Epic"'s virus scanner fails to detect trojan during downloading (given this is the only time the browser has access to said virus), as it's relatively new and not in Epic's scanners definitions
  • Trojan's installed
  • Trojan does malicious things
  • Epic's definitions update
  • Nothing is fixed, because the malware has already been installed and now is out of the browser's scope

• User downloads trojan horse from malicious looking download website
  • Conventional Virus Scanner fails to detect trojan, as it's relatively new and not in definitions
  • Trojan's installed
  • Trojan does malicious things
  • Conventional Virus Scanner's definitions update
  • Malware is removed, problem is fixed

Why would the UN distribute this crummy browser with its "cheapo UN-sponsored machines" instead of a simple copy of Mozilla Firefox and an established open source virus scanner? Even if they weren't giving out either, people would be best off with a conventional virus scanner as opposed to this tacky piece of rubbish. They're much better solutions for any situation.
Bikerman
I'm not saying that the UN do or do not do anything in particular, I'm simply looking to where it could be useful.
Quote:
Why would the UN distribute this crummy browser with its "cheapo UN-sponsored machines" instead of a simple copy of Mozilla Firefox and an established open source virus scanner? Even if they weren't giving out either, people would be best off with a conventional virus scanner as opposed to this tacky piece of rubbish. They're much better solutions for any situation.
Well, it is basically a Mozilla core, which is not really 'tacky rubbish', and the anti-virus is, I understand ESET - which is generally well regarded amongst some of my colleagues who know more about these things than I do.
So I don't really see your problem. Yes, you can give them Firefox and a separate anti-virus or this browser with the built in links for ESET.

Malware is a distinct issue. No pure anti-virus software is proof against malware. You are going to have to install anti-malware product regardless of the anti-virus package you choose - unless you go for an -all in one type solution like Norton, which I really don't like.

I don't feel strongly enough to launch into a full defence of the product because I don't want to spend the time looking in detail at it....I just thing that if it is done correctly (ie it routinely updates, offers a button to do a computer scan etc) then it isn't such a bad idea.
Denvis
I'd like to see a curry browser theme.
Ghost900
It is just a modified Firefox with anti-virus. The link posted above talks about tabbed browsing as if it was added but Firefox has had tabs for some time. In any event I don't see it being a problem so long as some people switch from Internet Explorer to the Epic browser.

The name will drive me up the wall. Smile
HalfBloodPrince
What about the tons and tons of virus scanning addons already available? Exactly what makes Epic so...epic? Confused
Bikerman
Quote:
Exactly what makes Epic so...epic?
Probably not much - and I think that may be Hogwarts' point - it does seem to be being a little 'over-hyped'. I suppose there is an element of national pride involved - and that always tends to cloud judgements...
ProfessorY91
Arty wrote:

Agreed. The way I see it, the browser does a scan of whatever you're downloading - temp files, or a regular download, and prevents stuff from being downloaded. Your antivirus software scans your computer and picks up on a virus almost immediately anyways. See: Avast!
iman
I think it's not that hard to implement an antivirus widget on any browser.
And it's not that different from firefox, too
Shadowninja7194
This just sounds like another fail india thing with a name thats trying to appeal to the "internet" crowd. Anyways, i still have to try it...i hope it wont be as fail as i think it will be.
Aredon
well while the AV might be nice to have for some users, I certainly won't be using it. That's a lot of unnecessary overhead on a browser; I prefer my browser open fast, and browse fast (why I generally avoid firefox in the first place Twisted Evil ). Given that the AV would have to be pattern based, you're looking at a huge browser with crazy overhead... no thanks. I'll stick to my passive AV scanning engine that I run randomly, and keep my system resources for the things I want to use them for! Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
Topic moved to Software.

Congratulations to India for their first web browser. Though I probably won't bother to try it out as I'm pretty hooked on Chrome.
r4inm4ker
well, why being so negative ? it's just an alternative for people with different background. If it's not suitable for you, then just dont use it, uninstall it. It's like countless of garbage softwares on the internet (just see download.com for tons of them).
Hogwarts
r4inm4ker wrote:
well, why being so negative ? it's just an alternative for people with different background. If it's not suitable for you, then just dont use it, uninstall it.

Or, on a website which provokes discussion about things, we could discuss our viewpoints. My viewpoint is that it's a useless piece of software that's somehow achieved significantly more credibility than it deserves, and I do intend to inform people who, as Nick Carraway's father apparently put it, "haven’t had the advantages that [I]’ve had"
r4inm4ker
Hogwarts wrote:
r4inm4ker wrote:
well, why being so negative ? it's just an alternative for people with different background. If it's not suitable for you, then just dont use it, uninstall it.

Or, on a website which provokes discussion about things, we could discuss our viewpoints. My viewpoint is that it's a useless piece of software that's somehow achieved significantly more credibility than it deserves, and I do intend to inform people who, as Nick Carraway's father apparently put it, "haven’t had the advantages that [I]’ve had"

Quote:

this browser looks to be an.. incredulously dumb idea with a typically obnoxious name.

Do you really think your comment above can be categorized as "discuss our viewpoints" rather than insult to other people's effort? Actually my post was not specifically aimed at you, just rather odd that when some stuff came from third nations (India, China), there's quite alot of negative response.[/quote][/code]
harismushtaq
Being a web browser developer myself, I don't think we should call Epic a new browser. It is mozilla firefox branded with another name and some aditional features. There are many companies who have firefox based custom browsers and infact I developed one such customized forefox for a company.

I think it is hard for such a browser to fit in the consumer browser market. It is hard to have upgrades integrated as firefox is updated rapidly. A new browser from the core that has some extreemly exciting new features may be something exciting. In terms of technology, I think Opera is doing much better but still it is fighting for a consumer share (only about 2% of surfers use it) so I don't think Epic would do much. After all it is NOT a new browser.
granvals
Thanks to share,oh,I always use Firefox,but Iget problems at some websites,like classicfm.comlisten live.There is IE or nothing....
Aredon
r4inm4ker wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:
r4inm4ker wrote:

Quote:

this browser looks to be an.. incredulously dumb idea with a typically obnoxious name.

Do you really think your comment above can be categorized as "discuss our viewpoints" rather than insult to other people's effort? Actually my post was not specifically aimed at you, just rather odd that when some stuff came from third nations (India, China), there's quite alot of negative response.

I'd say if it's our viewpoint that something isn't good, it's probably natural to be a little insulting. In other news, built in AV is still silly! (Didn't firefox already have something like this though?...)