FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Minor Earthquake hits US Capital

Nick2008
Quote:

WASHINGTON Earthquakes are so rare in the Washington area that even a geology student wasn't quite sure what was going on when a minor one hit early Friday. Was it a truck passing by? A low-flying plane?
Gerasimos Michalitsianos, who will be a senior at the University of Maryland, College Park, was sitting on his couch looking at e-mails when the 3.6-magnitude temblor occurred.

I live in this area, I did not feel it. I love how such a minor incident results in almost 150 articles being posted up about it on google results for "washington earthquake", my neighbor said they interrupted the morning news this morning for a special report, interviewing local residents if they felt it. No noticeable damage occurred, none of the the utilities were even affected, so is there are a reason to run interviews for hours? Exactly the reason why I stopped watching the local news here, worthless information that doesn't affect me.

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iCu50ZL_3zlTUN4B-HKMjY9_kVWwD9H0BTRG0
deanhills
Could it be because earthquakes are "big news" in California? I wonder how many people from California have moved up North to get away from earthquakes and are suffering from post traumatic stress disorder? Smile
Ghost Rider103
Most earthquakes are worth being put on the news because of the after-shocks. If there is one quake, there is sure to be more to follow. It's a good idea to broadcast it whether it's small or not to remind people that they are real and will happen. It will get people ready for when they do keep coming.

As for the people in California, I doubt many of them would move North.

Northern California is nowhere near the same as southern California. It's not nice and sunny, and a lot of it is open space with small towns. There isn't much there. That's why you don't hear about Northern California as much, because Southern California is where all the excitement is.

If people actually do move because of the quakes, most of them will likely stay south of the US to stay in the warm weather. To areas like Nevada, Arizona, Texas, etc. Could be a reason why Nevada is growing so rapidly.

I personally moved out of California because it's (in my opinion) going downhill. There are gangs left and right, and crime rates are unbelievably high. I Probably 40% of my friends and family have also moved out of California for the same reasons. Though that's a different story.
ocalhoun
Favorite quote:

"Republicans scrambling for a way to blame this on Obama.
Democrats scrambling for a way to blame it on global warming (and/or Bush)."
coolclay
Obviously anything that happens in DC, no matter how seemingly unimportant will get covered more because it's DC! Also to be honest the DC area doesn't really get quakes that often so even little ones will be covered on the news.
Nick2008
coolclay wrote:
Obviously anything that happens in DC, no matter how seemingly unimportant will get covered more because it's DC! Also to be honest the DC area doesn't really get quakes that often so even little ones will be covered on the news.

We actually had another minor one about 3 years ago I believe, many people tend to forget that DC isn't too far from a fault line.

What really annoyed me was that the news interrupted all regular programming for HOURS of INTERVIEWS of what people felt... I mean really? Fine 5 minutes, 10 minutes, even 20 minutes at most, I'd understand just fine, but hours? For a minor event that didn't cause any damage or utilities to be affected? That's just unnecessary, I could care less about what others "felt", it shook, it's an earthquake, done deal, what one feels is not interesting news. Laughing

Then again it's usually because they have nothing better to talk about anyways. Smile
deanhills
@Ghost Rider103. Thanks for all the info. My favourite places in the US are Arizona and New Mexico (so far). I have not been to all the States. I still have to visit Hawaii too. Do you miss California? It has such an incredible beautiful coast line. I've always wanted to visit Venice as well. But yes, the crime rate would demotivate me. I remember San Diego used to be a great place, but it seems as though it has been overtaken by crime as well.
Ghost Rider103
Oh yes, I do miss some things about California. Mainly the weather and some great friends.

Not sure that I could ever go back. I'd like to say I could, but that would be to the old California. I don't like how it's been changing much.

I would like to move back down South towards Texas or Arizona as I hate the cold, and I'm currently living in South Dakota, one of the worst places for one to live if you dislike the cold, lol.

But that's another topic....
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I would like to move back down South towards Texas or Arizona as I hate the cold, and I'm currently living in South Dakota, one of the worst places for one to live if you dislike the cold, lol.

But that's another topic....
Now that is something I can relate to. Moving to a warmer place. I moved from Vancouver Canada to where I am in the UAE, and the mixture of rain (which is not real rain, just that drizzly uneventful stuff) and cold, and especially the very long dark days during winter, when it was already getting dark by 3:30 p.m. in the afternoon, cramped my style. I'm quite content where I am now weather wise, although it does get really hot in the summer. But then that's ideal for boating and diving. Out on the sea, it feels just right.
owenbeckham
I don't know why the destructive of earthquake in U.S.A. and Japan is not as worse as China. China government please make a plan, not nly focus on economy.