FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wifi questions

yagnyavalkya
I am aware of some basics to check if someone else is using my WIFi net
Generally I see that it can be found during there use
But can it be found after they have used
I mean does the router maintain logs of use or just that it can tell which mac address has used it
Nemesis234
im sure information on the router would help a great deal.
metalfreek
I think most router maintain a log so I think you can check that. But why gie internet for free, protect your internet will password if you don't want to share your net.
silverdown
Giving us the Brand and Model will help us assist you better for a product instead of products. To many routers out there to just right in and give instructions.
jdelfire
Yup need more info model and brand will do.... might as well check the firmware version...
Most router do keep a log file for mac info, bandwidth usage, TCP/UDP acitivity etc... some can even be program to send the log files through email...
^_^
I alway find it useful to check the activity log especially if my nephew is using too much bandwidth when he leave his PC open to download some torrent and i can't get inside his room to turn it off...
what i will do is i will cut him off temporarily from the connection and block his mac address... then I will download my stuff once he got home... i will remove him from the mac filtering.... he will be surprised that his download did not even progress at all... hahahah
bacbac
wpa or wpa2 are better? Confused
SonLight
bacbac wrote:
wpa or wpa2 are better? Confused

Either wpa or wpa2 are generally considered to be secure and probably "unbreakable"; probably wpa2 is a little stronger. My experience (mostly hearsay, do not have reliable info) is that either flavor of wpa might have some compatibility problems. My recommendation for most people is to use wep, which is not secure against a determined attacker but plenty good enough for the average neighborhood situation.

While it is generally considered wise to secure your wifi, I think it would be more friendly to allow anyone to connect -- but limit the bandwidth and access of guest connections. Unfortunately I do not know how to impose the restrictions with most routers.
ahnguye5
Most routers do have logs that you can refer to. You can also set a user password so that only people living in the house can access the wireless. This pass can be different from the one you use to access the web GUI.
yagnyavalkya
ahnguye5 wrote:
Most routers do have logs that you can refer to. You can also set a user password so that only people living in the house can access the wireless. This pass can be different from the one you use to access the web GUI.

I have read that some of the routers can be hacked is that true?
coreymanshack
yagnyavalkya wrote:
ahnguye5 wrote:

Lots of things can be hacked.
jdelfire
oh yeah man different routers can be hacked... i know coz i've worked with netgear... and i've seen customers with wep,wpa or wpa2 security but can still be hacked... as long as your wireless is broadcasted publicly you are a target... oh btw 128bit is hackable... I'll give you a hint...

Linux and modified lan drivers.... that's one way to do it...
^_^
Fire Boar
Depends on what you mean by "hacked". If you mean "security bypassed and connected to", the answer is always yes. But the type of security you use is important. WEP is only slightly better than nothing, because it can be cracked in under 30 minutes using freely available tools (Backtrack Linux is a favourite distribution for trying out / actually doing this kind of thing, because it contains all the tools you need, and runs off a live CD), but WPA and WPA2 are much more secure and take much longer, WPA2 can take years of processing. That's not hacking, it's brute-forcing.

If you mean "firmware modified to offer full access as a remote terminal", that depends on the router.
misterXY
yagnyavalkya wrote:
ahnguye5 wrote:

Dear god yes it;s true, google "backtrack hacking wep" or something.................... plenty of guides out there. Rolling Eyes