FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bill C-9

LittleBlackKitten
Does anyone have any idea what was ON the bill? I can find nothing in layman's terms anywhere and since it's the Federal Budget in leu of a fall election, I thought I'd ask here....
deanhills
This is from Canada isn't it? As it would appear from the Googling I have done (I'm sure you must have done it too) that the presentation of C-9 is not very transparent. It is an enormous 900 page Bill containing a mix of things, the main purpose of which was to implement Federal Budget measures that had already been approved in March. Then what the Government did was to add a number of additional regulations to C-9. Some say that is the equivalent of a Conservative Party Trojan Horse and that these issues should have been dealt with independently in their own right. Critics are saying that the current Goverment is trying to privatize Canada Post by stealth. Particularly worrisome is that the Bill would allow other postal servicing companies to compete with Canada Post (by opening up Canada Post’s exclusive privilege to handle letters to international mail corporations) and that this may mean the end of Canada Post and at the minimum huge hikes in postal rates in urban areas. Another proposal exempts a wide range of commercial projects from environmental assessment regulations. The latter is particularly worrisome because of lessons learned from the Oil Spill crisis in the Gulf (refer Comment in Parliament by Linda Duncan). Just boggles the mind however to have a 900 page bill and hide very important issues that are not relevant to the main objective of the Bill among the hundreds of pages. No wonder people are so upset about it. It would appear that the Bill has been passed, so something that people no doubt will have to live with now.

Sources:
Long-term interests being sold out
Comment by Libby Davis
Comment by Linda Duncan
Bill Passed
LittleBlackKitten
People are about as upset about this as they are HST, and it seems to me, when the government makes an attempt to "swoop in and fix" what they're told to, the public doesn't like how its done...o.O
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
People are about as upset about this as they are HST, and it seems to me, when the government makes an attempt to "swoop in and fix" what they're told to, the public doesn't like how its done...o.O
Amazing way of legislating right now, probably copying the US Federal Government with lengthy Bills and adding all kinds of bells and whistles to it that are not necessarily related to the objective of the Bill. In the end it is so confusing that people don't really debate about details of Bills any longer, more about issues.
misterXY
Canada Post, the useless mail. It only gives me junk mail, as most of my taxes are through electronic/direct deposit. They just closed there CANADIAN call centers too outsource, isn't this supposed too be CANADAIN post? If they privatize, no one will pick the dinosaur.

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/posted/archive/2010/03/31/canada-post-to-outsource-call-centre-jobs.aspx
deanhills
misterXY wrote:
Canada Post, the useless mail. It only gives me junk mail, as most of my taxes are through electronic/direct deposit. They just closed there CANADIAN call centers too outsource, isn't this supposed too be CANADAIN post? If they privatize, no one will pick the dinosaur.

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/posted/archive/2010/03/31/canada-post-to-outsource-call-centre-jobs.aspx
Canada is a HUGE country, and there are many people living in urban and distant territories who need a Federal postal service at an affordable price. The service of Canada Post, compared internationally, is really a very good one. I don't see it as useless at all.
LittleBlackKitten
Canada Post is painfully slow...It shouldn't take 7-15 days to get anything.
ocalhoun
LittleBlackKitten wrote:

Well, since Canada is a large country, and much of it is sparsely populated, delivering mail there is a challenge... And yet, 7-15 days is much better than many places in the world.
misterXY
ocalhoun wrote:
LittleBlackKitten wrote:

Well, since Canada is a large country, and much of it is sparsely populated, delivering mail there is a challenge... And yet, 7-15 days is much better than many places in the world.

Try two main cities of Canada, ExpressMail with insurance.. it's supposed too take upto 3 days, two weeks late........ Canada Post, you suck.
ujjawall
Bill C-9, An Act to amend the Criminal Code (conditional sentence of imprisonment) was given first reading in the House of Commons on 4 May 2006 and received Royal Assent on 31 May 2007. The bill amends section 742.1 of the Criminal Code(1) to provide that a person convicted of a serious personal injury offence as defined in section 752, a terrorism offence, or a criminal organization offence prosecuted by way of indictment, the maximum term of imprisonment in any of these cases being 10 years or more, is not eligible for a conditional sentence. Although the bill was not amended in the Senate, the Standing Senate Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs did adopt certain observations. These observations noted, inter alia, the likely impact of the bill on the legal aid system as a result of a reduced number of guilty pleas and a greater number of appeals. Shocked Shocked