FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

image gallery: suggesions reqd

kv
I am writing a small image gallery using php. I initially thought that every upload will have an entry in a database table and album hierarchy will be created in database and not file system. But now I think file system will be better. But database has advantage of having description for each file. I am confused. Please let me know your views.
itsrude
Hey kv,

Why do you think that a filesystem is better?

I think that if the number of images you are using is not really big, a database is better.

Another pre is that in a database you can manage your system more easily. You can list all images and delete or add if you want.
kv
I thought it would be better because I don't have to synchronize file data with database -- like deleting database entry when a image is deleted, creating new entry in db when image is uploaded, etc.
bluetenshi
http://rebelpixel.com/projects/ipap

Small, fast and eligant ^.^
The older versions uses flat-files but the newer one uses database and is much faster.
mathiaus
kv wrote:
I thought it would be better because I don't have to synchronize file data with database -- like deleting database entry when a image is deleted, creating new entry in db when image is uploaded, etc.

Thats houldnt be to mutch of a problem though as it can easily be done. I did something similar a while back. I uploaded the image then changed its name to its id to make things easier and less complex Smile
(This means that I suggest using a database [mysql !!])