FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

On-line degree from UC same quality as the real thing?

deanhills
Looks as though soon students may be able to enroll for a bachelor's degree from the University of California over the Internet, instead of attending regular classes on campus. I'm sure there must be negatives in this, but for those who can't afford the cost of boarding and need to work full time, this could be a break. What do you think, would this be of the same quality as the campus program?

Quote:
University of California wants to jump into online education for undergraduates, hoping to become the nation's first top-tier research institution to offer a bachelor's degree over the Internet comparable in quality to its prestigious campus program.

"We want to do a highly selective, fully online, credit-bearing program on a large scale - and that has not been done," said UC Berkeley law school Dean Christopher Edley, who is leading the effort.

But a number of skeptical faculty members and graduate student instructors fear that a cyber UC would deflate the university's five-star education into a fast-food equivalent, cheapening the brand. Similar complaints at the University of Illinois helped bring down that school's ambitious Global Campus program last fall after just two years.

UC officials say theirs will be different.

Source: San Francisco Chronicle
PureReborn
The university can say it's the same quality, but the employers will continue to view online degrees to be something inferior (at least for a few more years). Personally I agree and think that learning from a computer is worse than learning in a classroom with other students and the professors right there in front of you.

It is a great chance for the people who can't follow a full time schedule though.
deanhills
PureReborn wrote:
The university can say it's the same quality, but the employers will continue to view online degrees to be something inferior (at least for a few more years). Personally I agree and think that learning from a computer is worse than learning in a classroom with other students and the professors right there in front of you.

It is a great chance for the people who can't follow a full time schedule though.
I just wonder whether the University of California may come up with something completely different though, i.e. on-line face to face type classes where students can interact with their lecturers and with one another.