FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Run Mac OS X in VirtualBox on Windows

ahnguye5
Here's a recent article from Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5583650/

What do yall think of this? I think I read a comment about the practicality of running Windows in a virtual machine but not OS X. I'm not too familiar with OS X so I want to hear from you.
menino
I think OS X on a virtual machine is practical mainly for technical support departments who want to test certain applications on the MAC, without having the need to buy one.

Of course, I think you would still need the licenses for it, although, am not sure of this.

Otherway round is using parallels desktop virtualization to run windows on a MAC, while OSX is running, but again, this is for MAC users who are forced to use windows in companies that reply on Microsoft products.
Ankhanu
The problem with running MacOS on a Windows system is primarily in hardware configuration and drivers. I know people who have successfully set up Hackintosh systems running OSX, but there are difficulties and constraints in setting them up. With the right hardware, it's not a huge issue, but it is otherwise.
I imagine a virtual system would be much the same. It can work in the right circumstances, but would be a headache otherwise.
Jean-Clod
There are some tools that are OSX-only, so this comes handy (after I tried hackintoshing my PC, and failing - bad hardware, no kexts)
mahirharoon
according to Appl£'s TO$ , only mac os server can be emulated but still , there is a requirement that the host os a.k.a the os on which you run the virtual machine must be a mac so , i say this is totaly illegal
Hogwarts
menino wrote:
Otherway round is using parallels desktop virtualization to run windows on a MAC, while OSX is running, but again, this is for MAC users who are forced to use windows in companies that reply on Microsoft products.

Pretty much all important Microsoft products run on Mac
mahirharoon
i think what Hogwarts said is correct , since all windows os'es are legal to emulate on the mac platforms ,this is unfair ,windows users should also be able to do exactly the reverse without any legal problems because its like i own a Bugatti veyron and my friend has also given a part of the required amount to buy this car and its like only my friend can drive it while i had spent the most of the money for for it and i can't even use it for a second
jilbs
This is amazing. Finally Virtualbox is able to support OS X and im glad. I think this one is better than OSX on vmware. I don't know yet but im hoping. Smile
Radar
It seems that every comment on that page is someone saying that it's not working for them. I mean, I realise part of that may be selection, in that the people who are happy with it aren't saying anything, but generally there are some people saying that it worked and was amazing.

Not so much there. This makes me question whether or not it actually works, or rather whether or not it works well.
Jean-Clod
I tried, it works, but you need a CPU that supports hardware virtualisation (VT-x or AMD-v)

And it's far easier from setting up a hackintosh..
thnn
Jean-Clod wrote:
I tried, it works, but you need a CPU that supports hardware virtualisation (VT-x or AMD-v)

And it's far easier from setting up a hackintosh..

I also tried it, it works fine, and runs well (although my physical hardware is similar to new iMacs). Only issue is if you shutdown it kernel panics, and you have to power off the virtual machine.
johnsworthy
It's ben possible to run OS X in WMVare since back in 2004!
Dualbooting is better performance-wise.
Jean-Clod
You're right about dual-booting being better, but sometimes hardware simply isn't supported, whatever you might try, whereas a VM is 'guaranteed' to work

and for VMWare, VirtualBox is "better", firstly because of it being free, then because of the huge community behind it
amperx
thanks for this info, just saved me a couple of bucks frm buying a mac for testing purposes only damn, thanks again!
debjitbiswas
how to download mac ox. ?
i dont have it .
please send me download link.
Fire Boar
That's against the Frihost ToS because it's illegal to download Mac OS X without paying for it. If you want it, go find it yourself.
andycorleone
if you want a mac I think go and buy a mac one of the benefict is you beacuse not a lot of people have them they don't do viruses that often
gphoenix
Its illegal..

You can not run Mac Osx on Windows legally. (unless you are already using a mac)

However there are many ways in which you can directly install it to your hard disk other than using Vbox.
aningbo
if you want to run mac os, you should go ahead and buy a mac hardware. Its gonna be a pain if u try to run it in the windows machine. you will end up hating the mac os.

after using the windows OS 98, Me, 2000, XP, Vista and windows 7.. i'm using mac os - snow leopard. its been almost 1.5 years now and i'm loving it on my macbook pro. its amazing how easier everything seems. its trouble free. atleast for now.
debjitbiswas
Well i searched and failed to locate the mac os download website please somebody help me with this.
Fire Boar
debjitbiswas wrote:
Well i searched and failed to locate the mac os download website please somebody help me with this.

Yarr! The first rule of piracy be this: don't ask for download links!
gs-resume
Another option is just to purchase a copy of the mac OSX and create the image from that. OSX can be had legally for less than $30.
Abhishukla
People can run Mac OS on windows pc by using either a virtual machine, that does not guarantee whether all its hardware / software will work properly or not?