FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Numerous Newbie Issues...





LittleBlackKitten
I have a project to code and host a cookie-cutter website for my web design class, and I'm having MAJOR issues...I'm not allowed to ask the school staff for help, as they personally don't understand HTML. (Its an online class thing in a building.)

Okay. My site (http://www.camerakitten.frihost.com) is not redirecting to (http://www.camerakitten.frihost.com/index.htm). Also, when I GO to that index, the links at the top aren't redirecting properly....
My main image is loading on IE and on Firefox...
My sidebar buttons are fine on IE, and not on Firefox...
The other pages won't redirect to the other pages...

And they all view pages and redirect fine on the directadmin in IE..... @_@

If you need my index code, I will post it...
mOrpheuS
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I have a project to code and host a cookie-cutter website for my web design class, and I'm having MAJOR issues...I'm not allowed to ask the school staff for help, as they personally don't understand HTML. (Its an online class thing in a building.)

Okay. My site (http://www.camerakitten.frihost.com) is not redirecting to (http://www.camerakitten.frihost.com/index.htm). Also, when I GO to that index, the links at the top aren't redirecting properly....
My main image is loading on IE and on Firefox...
My sidebar buttons are fine on IE, and not on Firefox...
The other pages won't redirect to the other pages...

And they all view pages and redirect fine on the directadmin in IE..... @_@

If you need my index code, I will post it...


Few things to keep in mind -
1. You need to place your website content in the "public_html" directory not the root directory.
2. Unix filenames are case-sensitive - "Index.htm" is not the same as "index.htm"
3. In your html code, you must use the http://www.camerakitten.frihost.org/Catseyes.jpg (or better yet just "Catseyes.jpg" - relative links) ... not http://www.camerakitten.frihost.org:2222/CMD_FILE_MANAGER/Catseyes.jpg

I've fixed all the above for "index.htm" now. You should fix the remaining pages yourself before publishing your website.

p.s. - you should avoid publishing your email address on a publicly accessible page. It will invite spam.
LittleBlackKitten
I haven't a choice about the email thing, its for class. That's a spam email addy anyway. I do believe everything was in the public folder. And, the links - nothing else was working. D: I will try this though and will let you know.
LittleBlackKitten
I've got it working now, thank you! I didn't realize I also had to update the public folder files as well. Smile
AftershockVibe
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I've got it working now, thank you! I didn't realize I also had to update the public folder files as well. Smile


As well as what?
You should only ever have to update one location (no copies are required).
LittleBlackKitten
The files at the very front of my directadmin have one set of files, and the public folder have another. It doesn't update both. Should I delete the ones off the first page and work only from the public folder?...
mOrpheuS
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
The files at the very front of my directadmin have one set of files, and the public folder have another. It doesn't update both. Should I delete the ones off the first page and work only from the public folder?...

That's correct, only the ones inside public_html are required.

The ones in the folder level above that (the "root") have been uploaded there, possibly, by mistake.
Those should be safe to delete.
LittleBlackKitten
Everything I upload uploads itself to the main folder, and I have to copy it in, for some strange reason..
mOrpheuS
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Everything I upload uploads itself to the main folder, and I have to copy it in, for some strange reason..

How exactly are you uploading the website content ?
Related topics
Windows XP Vs. Vista
What is Candida? come in And Understand it
hi
PHP: Feedback form issues.. help =P
Php and Other Wonderful Newbie Stories for Help.
Interview: Derek Liu, Gaia Online Anime Community
newbie
Newbie Forum
the matrix online - review and pictures
Women and Rock Music
Newbie pic
Stanley "Tookie" Williams
CSS div alignment issue, IE and FF (newbie problem)
Guantanamo Bay
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Web Hosting Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.