FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pelican - shot with direct flash

bjwok
Shot these the other week while covering a story about Norwood Billabong.

Wanted to get the reflection thing happening, shot with direct flash. They look a little flat to me?

Thoughts?

Bikerman
They look good to me, but I'm certainly no expert.
You say they look a bit 'flat'? Do you mean flat as in lacking dynamic colour/contrast range within the picture, or flat with regard to the content?
bjwok
thanks biker Smile

yeah flat as in not a lot of contrast. i prolly should have not shot with flash, but i had it set up for another shot at the time and just swung around to see the pelican sitting there Smile
Bikerman
Well you could try some digi processing if you have photoshop or something like it.
You could alter the colour balance by selecting the brightest white on the bird and normalising to that value. Then perhaps bring the black ceiling down at the other end - that will give a more dynamic contrast as long as it isn't overdone. Apply a touch of sharpening - but only a touch.....and I would see how it looks then. It really doesn't look to me like it needs much, though (of course I'm looking at it in compressed form on a mediocre monitor that hasn't had a colour balance check since it was born....Smile
meep
The second one looks good to me, but the first one just looks weird to me because of the reflection in the water. Second one doesn't have that problem because the water is in motion.

But I'm not an expert so don't take my opinion for granted Smile.