FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wow! What a sight! Could this photo have been touched up?

deanhills
Definitely not what I have in mind when I think of going for a swim in the sea. Wonder how one gets out of there, as it looks peaceful as well. Could this photo have been touched up?

Source: Yahoo!News
Asap170
That's quite funny. It might of been edited, but it be pretty hard to make it that great. Where was this picture taken?
andysart380
haha thats great
Torspot
I dont see why i couldnt have been touched up. Cool picutre tho XD
Ghost Rider103
Interesting picture! Makes me think of some sort of concert in a giant swimming pool or something. That would be fun!

It does appear to be real. Here is another photo of it:

But these images don't really have anything to do with the article you provided. Not sure why they used it. If you read the caption under the image in the article, it explains where it's taken from.

Back to the image; you'd be able to tell if it was fake by looking for two or the same people in the huge crowd. I never found duplicates of any of them or even any signs of it being a merged image to exaggerate it more than it really is. Not saying it can't be fake, but it's highly unlikely.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
you'd be able to tell if it was fake by looking for two or the same people in the huge crowd. I never found duplicates of any of them or even any signs of it being a merged image to exaggerate it more than it really is. Not saying it can't be fake, but it's highly unlikely.
Thanks for the photo Ghost Rider, that is even more amazing, and you're right, looks as though there are no duplicates.

Asap170 wrote:
That's quite funny. It might of been edited, but it be pretty hard to make it that great. Where was this picture taken?
The caption for the photo says Sichuan China. It was used to illustrate the heat there in comparison with the main feature of the article, which was a major heat wave in New York. Ghost Rider is right, the picture does not have much to do with the topic of the article in the New York Daily News, in fact, may have distracted from it. Excellent photo however.

Just checked up on Sichuan, and am now a bit perplexed. Sichuan is a landlocked Province. Wonder whether it was a lake or maybe even an artificial pool? Or maybe the author didn't know and used a well known Chinese Province name?

Refer: Wikipedia
apple
OMG! wow!!
Asap170
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
you'd be able to tell if it was fake by looking for two or the same people in the huge crowd. I never found duplicates of any of them or even any signs of it being a merged image to exaggerate it more than it really is. Not saying it can't be fake, but it's highly unlikely.
Thanks for the photo Ghost Rider, that is even more amazing, and you're right, looks as though there are no duplicates.

Asap170 wrote:
The caption for the photo says Sichuan China. It was used to illustrate the heat there in comparison with the main feature of the article, which was a major heat wave in New York. Ghost Rider is right, the picture does not have much to do with the topic of the article in the New York Daily News, in fact, may have distracted from it. Excellent photo however.

Just checked up on Sichuan, and am now a bit perplexed. Sichuan is a landlocked Province. Wonder whether it was a lake or maybe even an artificial pool? Or maybe the author didn't know and used a well known Chinese Province name?

Refer: Wikipedia

Well if you think of it China basically owns the United States because we borrowed a few trillion dollars from China and we're never going to pay it back. So China probably could take us over...
menino
I think its not touched up. The picture is awesome.

It is possible for so many people to crowd up in CHina, and probably the weather being quite hot in summer, people will definitely want to cool in the water, even if it is crowded.
I can't imagine what would happen if someone shouted "SHARK!!!!!!"
deanhills
Asap170 wrote:
Well if you think of it China basically owns the United States because we borrowed a few trillion dollars from China and we're never going to pay it back. So China probably could take us over...
I can't see that for a moment. Hell has no fury like Americans provoked, especially if they were to lose their freedom and rights. If they should be challenged by China, it may be a good thing however, as they may get better focussed in overhauling themselves to get stronger, meaner and leaner. As competitive sports have shown, Americans do have fire in their bellies.
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Wonder whether it was a lake or maybe even an artificial pool? Or maybe the author didn't know and used a well known Chinese Province name?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing some sort of artificial pool. If you look in the image I posted, you'll see some sort of large rock or something on the top right of the photo. I guess you could see a rock in some beaches, but it even looks artificial.
wellerchap
Great picture, and while I think it's real, I think it's also "staged"....so many adults all needing inflatable floats?
It reminds me a bit of the work of photographer Spencer Tunick (though not as structured)...I saw some of his English photos in a gallery in Manchester last week.

Warning: nudity
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/08/19/globalnaked_wideweb__470x312,0.jpg
http://www3.allaroundphilly.com/blogs/trentonian/weird/uploaded_images/DSCN5398_-compry-742851.jpg
Denvis
I think it might have been touched up, just a little. Colour curve and a bit of sharpen.
Magicman
wellerchap wrote:
Great picture, and while I think it's real, I think it's also "staged"....so many adults all needing inflatable floats?

It's not necessarily staged, maybe they are just enjoying lounging out on their tubes. I don't think it was touched up either as I'm sure it's not at all uncommon to have that many people in one place in China. Especially on such a hot day.
standready
I think the photo is real and not staged. I think the tubes are to give them some space.
missdixy
That photo hurts my eyes a lot O.o Not sure why. I look at it and i want to look away. too busy maybe?
LostOverThere
Quote:
That photo hurts my eyes a lot O.o Not sure why. I look at it and i want to look away. too busy maybe?

Yeah, ditto here. I don't know what I'm mean to look at. There's no exact focus point.
wombatrpgs
Magicman wrote:
It's not necessarily staged, maybe they are just enjoying lounging out on their tubes. I don't think it was touched up either as I'm sure it's not at all uncommon to have that many people in one place in China. Especially on such a hot day.

I don't know, what's the distinction between "staged" and "inner tube party today!"
Helios
Ugh, looks nasty. I hate going to swimming pools and popular beaches because many other people have been there. These guys are crazy if they really enjoyed "swimming" there. I bet that pool contains more sweat and other liquids rather than water. Yuck.

wellerchap, I had to edit your post.
Ghost900
Seems to be real and being as its China having that many people in one area is not to difficult for them I am sure especially if it is very hot out. I do not like crowds so I don't think I would attend such a gathering.
apple
That is a LOT of germs and maybe urine in one location Confused

ewwwwwwwww @ grossness

wow @ sight
wombatrpgs
Ghost900 wrote:
Seems to be real and being as its China having that many people in one area is not to difficult for them I am sure especially if it is very hot out. I do not like crowds so I don't think I would attend such a gathering.

Mm, guess it is essentially the same as crowds in other areas.
Nameless
I'd put large quantities of money on the photo being "touched up", even if its just removing glare or resizing and smoothing it or whatever (/not knowledgeable about this), but there's no reason to suspect a crowd of people who happen to be cooling off in a swimming pool is any more unlikely than a crowd of people in a shopping center or concert or wherever else.
Ghost Rider103
I don't think the OP was specifically talking about color contrasts and sharpening when he was asking if we thought it was "touched up" rather more being merged to make the impact of so many more people in one area. As I said earlier...

Most images are of course touched up by the photographer using small techniques such as curves, brightness & contrast, etc.
Insanity
Not my idea of a nice day at the pool, or ocean, or whatever, but it looks like it could be realistic. The context of course is very important as well. Maybe it's osme game, or some compietiton or something that requires people to mash together like that.
soljarag
thats alot of people..... I wouldn't want to be in that big of a crowd... especially in water..... imagine the ammount of urine in the water... and its not even chlorinated
wombatrpgs
soljarag wrote:
thats alot of people..... I wouldn't want to be in that big of a crowd... especially in water..... imagine the ammount of urine in the water... and its not even chlorinated

It's a lot of water though... Probably diluted.
TurtleShell
Helios wrote:
Ugh, looks nasty. I hate going to swimming pools and popular beaches because many other people have been there. These guys are crazy if they really enjoyed "swimming" there. I bet that pool contains more sweat and other liquids rather than water. Yuck.

I have to wonder if you lived in a really crowded area like that, if you wouldn't just have a completely different attitude toward "space" and what sort of proximity between yourself and other people was acceptable. I guess in New York that was how it was. I lived there for five years and never could get used to the cramped apartments, but most people who'd grown up there/lived there most of their lives didn't even think about it.

I became tolerant of packed subways at rush-hour and eating in nice restaurants where the tables were so close to each other I could hear my neighbor's every conversation, and the way that it was perfectly acceptable to share a small table with a stranger in the Barnes and Noble cafe, when no free tables were available. That's just how it was.

Never could get used to having a small crappy apartment, though, where all my neighbors were loud and disrespectful.
deanhills
TurtleShell wrote:
Helios wrote:

I have to wonder if you lived in a really crowded area like that, if you wouldn't just have a completely different attitude toward "space" and what sort of proximity between yourself and other people was acceptable. I guess in New York that was how it was. I lived there for five years and never could get used to the cramped apartments, but most people who'd grown up there/lived there most of their lives didn't even think about it.

I became tolerant of packed subways at rush-hour and eating in nice restaurants where the tables were so close to each other I could hear my neighbor's every conversation, and the way that it was perfectly acceptable to share a small table with a stranger in the Barnes and Noble cafe, when no free tables were available. That's just how it was.

Never could get used to having a small crappy apartment, though, where all my neighbors were loud and disrespectful.
This is a very good point. I'm used to plenty of space around me, and grew up with having my own room, I love space. Yet expats here in the UAE from Asia don't have the same preoccupation with space. Expats from the Phillipines for example could easily accomodate 10 beds per one bedroom apartment in shared accommodation.
TurtleShell
deanhills wrote:
This is a very good point. I'm used to plenty of space around me, and grew up with having my own room, I love space. Yet expats here in the UAE from Asia don't have the same preoccupation with space. Expats from the Phillipines for example could easily accomodate 10 beds per one bedroom apartment in shared accommodation.

On the other hand, whenever I go home to visit my family in Illinois, there's just about the opposite problem. I never realized it until I moved to the city, but people in Illinois have so much space. During the time that I was living in New York, whenever I would go to Illinois, I become almost uncomfortable with the disrespect for space--they wasted it so! The standard booth in a restaurant would seat 6 to 8 people, the aisles were really spacious and wide, ranch-style homes were common and there were massive parking lots, everywhere! Growing up I had never given it thought, but living in Manhattan changed my view of space. Maybe this is another reason why I'm now so comfortable living near Los Angeles--there's a lot of sprawl here, for sure, but it's still a lot more cramped than where I'm from. A nice blend of both worlds.
deanhills
TurtleShell wrote:
On the other hand, whenever I go home to visit my family in Illinois, there's just about the opposite problem. I never realized it until I moved to the city, but people in Illinois have so much space. During the time that I was living in New York, whenever I would go to Illinois, I become almost uncomfortable with the disrespect for space--they wasted it so! The standard booth in a restaurant would seat 6 to 8 people, the aisles were really spacious and wide, ranch-style homes were common and there were massive parking lots, everywhere! Growing up I had never given it thought, but living in Manhattan changed my view of space. Maybe this is another reason why I'm now so comfortable living near Los Angeles--there's a lot of sprawl here, for sure, but it's still a lot more cramped than where I'm from. A nice blend of both worlds.
Right. Almost like the difference when I visited relatives in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, where everyone is virtually living on top of one another, and coming from a very spacious home with swimming pool, trampoline and the works, and having to cycle long distances to visit my friends in probably the equivalent of Illinois style living. I was quite thrilled in the Netherlands at having all our friends in close proximity in one block, and so many of them per square foot of space. That was great fun. Sharing the bathroom with onions was also quite a novelty. People tend to make maximum use of every little space they have when there is so little of it. Smile
sudipbanerjee
What a funny picture? Is this a normal picture or edited? Where is the place?
wellerchap
wellerchap, I had to edit your post.[/quote]

No problem, I understand, and apologise for falling foul of the rules....I thought nudity like that, in the form of art, would be Ok.
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
No problem, I understand, and apologise for falling foul of the rules....I thought nudity like that, in the form of art, would be Ok.
Well here's the thing. The truth. For some or other reason I missed your posting the first time round, until I saw the red heading, and then I just had to look at it Smile Interesting art. Especially the second pic. Quite symbolic in a way? Are you the artist?
wellerchap
no...an American photographer called Spencer Tunick.....google him; he's done similar work at lots of major cities across the world.
Apparently he puts out the word via internet that he'll be in a certain place at a set time, 500 locals turn up, strip off for him & he directs them from a raised area / platform where he has his camera.
For the shots in Manchester all the people were then taken in a fleet of buses to Newcastle (about 150 miles away) to do more shots there.
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
no...an American photographer called Spencer Tunick.....google him; he's done similar work at lots of major cities across the world.
Apparently he puts out the word via internet that he'll be in a certain place at a set time, 500 locals turn up, strip off for him & he directs them from a raised area / platform where he has his camera.
For the shots in Manchester all the people were then taken in a fleet of buses to Newcastle (about 150 miles away) to do more shots there.
Grin ..... his Websites are banned here in the UAE, but there is one survivor, Wikipedia with one photo in it. I get the gist of it however. Just the locations in their own right and coordinating a shot like that with all those large numbers of nude people in one place must be a phenomenal effort. Even more amazing is that all those people are unpaid volunteers.
ProfessorY91
apple wrote:

ewwwwwwwww @ grossness

wow @ sight

That sums it up quite nicely. Dilution isn't going to help you much here.
Still a pretty cool sight though.
truespeed
deanhills
@truespeed. Now that is really a good one, amazing footage. Smile Actually scary to think that one day perhaps there may not be enough space available for everyone? Wonder whether that can happen, or whether an enormous virus or disease would get to everyone first?
Nameless
The only thing about that video I really have difficulty grasping is the last guy who must have stopped, taken a look at the waves of people and thought 'You know what? WORTH IT.'

Okay so it would totally have been worth it to take part in that but still, let's all stop and think about the statistical number of people who would be perverts squashed up in that mess.
Aredon
apple wrote:

ewwwwwwwww @ grossness

wow @ sight

guess there's some "p" in this pool huh? Twisted Evil
Ghost Rider103
Wow that is quite an amazing site in that video. Yet I really wouldn't want to be in there with all of those people just sitting in a pool of water.

Pretty gross when you think about it.....

But I guess this semi-proves those images weren't touched up.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
The only thing about that video I really have difficulty grasping is the last guy who must have stopped, taken a look at the waves of people and thought 'You know what? WORTH IT.'
Okay so it would totally have been worth it to take part in that but still, let's all stop and think about the statistical number of people who would be perverts squashed up in that mess.
Laughing Right, not to mention the quality of the water. The first thought I had when I saw those waves was one of just about to get seasick. Under most sea faring conditions, including stormy ones, I'm a hardy person for never getting seasick. I'm more enclined to get that "rocky" feeling, after a sea trip and stepping back on terra firma, but those waves in the YouTube Show made my stomach almost turn around.
HDonoho
Well, it seems real to me. Although there are people so good at retouching photos that it's possible it's a fake.
Nonetheless, it's really funny!
Arty
People are everywhere D:

Yes, it's real. I saw a video of it once. People + Waves = Cool.
Nameless
Arty wrote:
Yes, it's real. I saw a video of it once. People + Waves = Cool.

Look up.
Shadowninja7194
wow, nice footage
guissmo
Denvis wrote:
I think it might have been touched up, just a little. Colour curve and a bit of sharpen.

Hahahaha. Good insight.

But seriously, I think that photo's real. Very Happy
wellerchap
If you half-close your eyes and watch the video, think about a bowl full of breakfast cereal being stirred up....and it's just the same !! Very Happy
ProwerBot
Haha that looks like it would be a lot of fun! Though when I got out I would take a loooonnngggg cleansing shower. Can't imagine how much urine probably in the water with all those people.... lol.
deanhills
ProwerBot wrote:
Haha that looks like it would be a lot of fun! Though when I got out I would take a loooonnngggg cleansing shower. Can't imagine how much urine probably in the water with all those people.... lol.
I discovered a book in an Oman Bookshop a few years ago, published in India, how good urine can be for a person. Lots of nutrients in it.

I googled it, and found this link about "Urine Therapy". Smile

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/Urine_Therapy.htm
anakin_skyrunner
Haha these are great pictures^^

Wouldn't want to go bathing there though, I like going to places were fewer people are.
Nameless
deanhills wrote:
I discovered a book in an Oman Bookshop a few years ago, published in India, how good urine can be for a person. Lots of nutrients in it.

... I don't think you understand the purpose of urination.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I do, or I hope I do anyway. Smile I was trying to point out that there are "scientists" who regard it as a good source of health therapy. When I checked up on the Internet yesterday, there was even an International Conference dedicated to it:
The Third World Conference on Urine Therapy
speeDemon
haha, looks like a traffic jam in water!
jigoku05
what's so amazing about that photo?
ProwerBot
deanhills wrote:
Nameless wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I do, or I hope I do anyway. Smile I was trying to point out that there are "scientists" who regard it as a good source of health therapy. When I checked up on the Internet yesterday, there was even an International Conference dedicated to it:
The Third World Conference on Urine Therapy

The things people devote their lives to these days...
deanhills
ProwerBot wrote:
The things people devote their lives to these days...
And then a really coincidence. I was chatting to an alternative therapy person here in Thailand, about inflamation of my eyelids, and she suggested that I should treat it with my urine! Gulp ...... Shocked
bjornhoogeveen
Hmm.. is that the sea? I would go to that place! It is not a dark-sea, but a clever one! Very Happy