FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

blind man using iphone?

badai
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2010/7/4/nation/6605192&sec=nation

Quote:
The blind can now stay connected with iPhone

KUALA LUMPUR: Yam Tong Woo may be blind but his disability has not deterred him from mastering the iPhone in less than a month.

Yam lost his sight two years ago after he contracted a bacterial infection. He said he missed doing a lot of things he used to be able to when he could still see.

Now Yam is a proud owner of an iPhone 3GS which he purchased in April after hearing of the phone’s many features that makes it accessible for blind users.

Yam says he finds using the phone easy thanks to its Voice Over feature which describes whatever is on screen allowing him access to various applications as well as navigate around the phone’s interface.

Using the phone’s 3G connection, Yam now stays connected everywhere he goes. He is able to browse the web, text message, call his children on Skype and find his way around by using the phone’s digital compass.

The 56-year-old, who is chairman of the Malaysian Association for the Blind Cyber Club said he is teaching other blind users to use the iPhone.
paul_indo
I have read that it has signal strength problems though, although apple seem to be saying it is only the signal indicator and not the actual signal which is the problem.

It might guide the blind round town but you can't make a phone call Laughing Laughing
Just joking, these features sound pretty good.
badai
it's 3GS, not iPhone 4
Torspot
lol thats an ownage.

My dad has an iphone and he complains alot about losing his signal. Maby this is all a conspiricy Rolling Eyes
missdixy
That's awesome. I am, for the most part, pretty anti-Apple, but reading this article makes me actually like the iPhone a little more!
Bikerman
It seems that Apple were telling a few porky-pies about the problems with the new Iphone 4. It isn't just the indicator - the whole signal drops if you grip it 'wrong'. A colleague bought one so I've had a play. In my opinion it is unfit for purpose.
Apple offered him a 'fix' - a case to put it in which means your fingers don't short-out the sensitive parts. That, to me, doesn't seem like much of a fix. Let's face it, most people who buy an Iphone are conscious of style - that is the major reason for buying Apple kit rather than cheaper clones - Apple does have a certain style and feel which is normally excellent. Sticking a case over the lovely Iphone is not going to appeal to many, methinks. It certainly doesn't satisfy my colleague.
£400 for a phone that doesn't work....ouch!
Helios
Bikerman wrote:
It seems that Apple were telling a few porky-pies about the problems with the new Iphone 4. It isn't just the indicator - the whole signal drops if you grip it 'wrong'. A colleague bought one so I've had a play. In my opinion it is unfit for purpose.
Apple offered him a 'fix' - a case to put it in which means your fingers don't short-out the sensitive parts. That, to me, doesn't seem like much of a fix. Let's face it, most people who buy an Iphone are conscious of style - that is the major reason for buying Apple kit rather than cheaper clones - Apple does have a certain style and feel which is normally excellent. Sticking a case over the lovely Iphone is not going to appeal to many, methinks. It certainly doesn't satisfy my colleague.
£400 for a phone that doesn't work....ouch!

I heard that they simply released it with bad firmware and that a simple firmware update should fix it Confused

Anyway, IMO there are much better phones a blind man will find comfortable. I wouldn't trust voice recognition so easily because that technology isn't 100% foolproof.
Bikerman
No - I heard the firmware rumour as well but it doesn't hang together. The issue is, IMHO, with the antenna. Obviously the smaller the phone gets the more they have problems with this. The Iphone adopts the normal solution of building it into the handset, but if your hand covers two critical points (and it is quite hard not to) then the antenna is not only masked, but the signal is effectively grounded. They can issue all the firmware patches they like - it won't solve that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7tfH9oBQbk
Ghost900
Intresting features, good to see somebody getting good use out of them. Voice over features can be used by anybody and if they are especially usful to the blind then that is good news. As for the signal streanth or lack of I have net heard much about.
Bikerman
Well all I can say is that I've experienced it first hand, so it isn't just heresay as far as I'm concerned. Apple appear to have made a major blunder with this one. I wouldn't buy an iphone anyway, because I'm a cheapskate and style is not that important to me, but I do like Apple generally. Unfortunately this one is going to hurt them badly. As I said previously, there is absolutely no way that this phone is fit for purpose and Apple's attempts to shrug it off as just a 'normal' problem common to all mobiles is giving customers the hump.

If you had just spent £600 on a phone, and every-time you picked it up it went dead, then how would YOU feel ?
Nameless
Helios wrote:
I wouldn't trust voice recognition so easily because that technology isn't 100% foolproof.

Name one single technology that is 100% foolproof. >_>
Bikerman
Helios wrote:
Anyway, IMO there are much better phones a blind man will find comfortable. I wouldn't trust voice recognition so easily because that technology isn't 100% foolproof.
Have you tried any of the new voice recognition products? (I don't mean the one they throw-in with some versions of windows - that is crappy). Dragon Naturally Speaking is the one I'm currently dictating this reply with, and so far it hasn't made an error.
Let's really test it (remember, I'm speaking at full pace).
Peter piper picket a peck of pickled pepper.

Ahh..ok - one mistake. It got picket instead of picked, but that is understandable since it tried to analyse the sentence for context and that is a very hard sentence for the computer to make sense of. It should, however, have now learned how I say the word and get it right next time...here goes

Peter piper picked a peck of pickled pepper.

Bravura.....
Arty
paul_indo wrote:
I have read that it has signal strength problems though, although apple seem to be saying it is only the signal indicator and not the actual signal which is the problem.

It might guide the blind round town but you can't make a phone call Laughing Laughing
Just joking, these features sound pretty good.

That's only for the iPhone 4.

Anyway, such a design flaw isn't such a big deal. If other smartphones had such a flaw, it would not have received as much attention as apple, who claimed that their phone is the "best" smartphone.
Bikerman
Such a design flaw is a really big deal. The phone costs (here) about £600 and it simply doesn't work properly. Hold it 'wrong' and you have no signal. Holding it 'right' is quite tricky and you have to stop yourself holding it in a natural position. That is a pretty big flaw.
I agree that it is all the bigger because it is an Apple - Apple have built their reputation on stylish and functional goods which are intuitive to use. That's why they can typically charge about twice as much for the same functionality...
Helios
Nameless wrote:
Helios wrote:
I wouldn't trust voice recognition so easily because that technology isn't 100% foolproof.

Name one single technology that is 100% foolproof. >_>

That's the problem. I also said "not so easily", like bikerman already mentioned, some training must take place. The blind guy might (probably even will) eventually be quite depended on that technology, and it better not make a mistake when it shouldn't, not even a single one.
Bikerman
It looks like the backlash regarding the IPhone4 has started, as I thought it would.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10665424
Aulos
I wasn't really aware that the iPhone had lots of accessibility features.
Although one of the first ads that I saw for iPhone 4 was pretty good, where it should someone using the front facing camera to communicate with sign language. I thought that was pretty original.