FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does FSB matter or something else is wrong?

baboosaa
I am using pentium 4 processor of speed 2.8 ghz. I have to be busy with my computer most of the time. The processor has its FSB of 200 so eventhough my motherboard is of ASUS and can handle 1600 FSB it's useless. As i try to use 3D max it becomes very slow and i use windows xp black service pack 2 and i have a rainbar too and it shows 100 cpu usuage. Even cyberlink power dvd player sometimes makes the cpu to run 100. Can you tell why? I really need help.
saratdear
A Pentium 4 may not be able to run all the newest load heavy software. (I know, I have one too.) Also note that computer slows down not just because of the processor. Try checking your computer for unnecessary programs, consider upgrading RAM, etc.

And I think you got a bit mixed up about the FSB speed. It's not that a 200MHz speed is slow (of course, it might be compared to newer processors). There is an internal multiplier as well. Since your P4 is 2.8, the multiplier must be 14. 200 X 14 = 2800 Get it?
jwellsy
How much RAM do you have? Is your motherboard maxed out on RAM? When you use the programs that slow it down, minimize the number of other programs and processes running.
baboosaa
i got the 200X14 thing.But my RAM is 1024 mb and as i use the computer the sidebar's gadget shows 59 or 33% of RAM or something else for different programs but the cpu usage meter shows that cpu is working at 100 for short period of time and this happens most of the time and as all the programmes are closed the it shows 2%. What interesting is that even while watching films from hard disk it seems like its buffering in slow connection and at start it seems ok for few moments but after that is begins to slow so i have to watch films in my dvd player.Does it has to do anyting with the motherboard configuration?
mOrpheuS
baboosaa wrote:
xp black service pack 2

There is no official Windows XP release called "black".
You are most likely running a pirated copy of XP that comes pre-loaded with a whole lot of software (junk, in my opinion).
That will neither be condoned nor supported. Neutral

baboosaa wrote:
The processor has its FSB of 200 so eventhough my motherboard is of ASUS and can handle 1600 FSB it's useless.

The processor you have has an actual FSB frequency of 200MHz, but since the Pentium 4 FSB is Quad pumped, that is an effective FSB of 800MT/s (sometimes written as 800MHz).

Your motherboard has the 775 socket and can support the newer Intel Core processors in addition to the Pentium 4.
Pentium 4 processors don't come with FSB any higher than 800MHz (with the exception of Extreme Edition 3.46).
The 1600MHz FSB support is applicable only if you put an Intel core processor on your motherboard.

baboosaa wrote:
As i try to use 3D max it becomes very slow and i use windows xp black service pack 2 and i have a rainbar too and it shows 100 cpu usuage. Even cyberlink power dvd player sometimes makes the cpu to run 100. Can you tell why? I really need help.

Depending on the rest of your system configuration, the performance bottleneck could be in several components.
Trust me, the FSB of your processor has nothing to do with it.

Check the minimum system requirements for the applications your are running against your machine.
Check for malware (virus etc.).
As a last resort, try a clean windows installation (preferably one that doesn't come pre-loaded with junk)
jwellsy
1 gig of ram and it slows down during high video usage, go figure. I would throw at least 1 more gig of ram in it. That widget showing ram usage may not be very accurate.
Are you using the onboard mobo video, or do you have an actual video card? You may also want to consider upgrading to a video card with a larger internal dedicated memory cache.