FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Install of XP instructions please

Amsilva
My question is: if i make a new installation of XP, my files remains intact?
How can do the process without screwing everthing?
If i clean my files out of C: and put them in another partion it is save?

Can i have 2 XP's running on my pc? How i do that. For me that will be my best solution... On for work and another for plays, instalations and desinstalations etc...

Once i have tryed to install 2 XP, and i did it, but ony by substition. colundt operate the 2 XP, even at the boot starter.

I put my installation cd and reboot, then i have to press any key??

Someone help me?
Tanks
DriveCrash
wooo! Had a hard time reading that, but I'll give it a shot.

First question, yes you can install XP agian and the files will still be there as long as you dont re-format the drive or do any type of re-partitioning. When you install the XP name your admin something other than what you had before. Your my documents and settings folder should still contain your old usernames files. *should* i'm not 100% sure on this, i know it works in win2000

As far as Duel boot with XP? I know duel boot with xp/2k/98 is doable. One of mine is setup that way right now. But i've never tried a duel XP. Prolly run into strange problems due to XP's deathgrip on the boot tables. When you tried before did you use a program like bootmagic or partition magic? Thats about the only work around I can think of. But i'm no XP wiz.

Good luck and I hope someone else can be of a little more assistance. I really need to learn XP in and out. =-(
Summer
Quote:

Yeah , press any to boot with the disc .

Quote:

Can i have 2 XP's running on my pc? How i do that. For me that will be my best solution... On for work and another for plays, instalations and desinstalations etc...

Yeah , I have tried b4 with Home Edition in Partition #1 and Professional Edition in Partition #2 .

Quote:

if upgrade , yes . But if reinstall (without formatting hdd) , the files will still there but there are some errors like fail to open the files . (For me only??)

Hope this helps as I m not a pro and maybe my infos is wrong .[/quote]
mwm
How many files? personal files? If just personal files to be saved, burn em to CD.

After that wipe the HDD and reinstall XP.

You can do another install of XP and it will multiboot by default. Adding another HDD is the best/cleanest way to do this.

The more detail you can give us the better the answers will be.

-mwm
z1k1
Quote:

Once i have tryed to install 2 XP, and i did it, but ony by substition. colundt operate the 2 XP, even at the boot starter.

If you don't reformatt the partition all will be exactly as you left it, but some folders or files (like docs & settings\users) could be inaccesible if you have setted up any privileges on them... I'm not sure but I think it's possible to repair that too.

And you can also install 2 XP's... without any problem...

Well, I'm spanish and my english is not well, sorry if you don't understand anything... In any case all that DriveCrash said is correct too for XP, XP is based on 2K...
gonzo
reinstalling over your files accomplishes LITTLE more than frustration. The "install" will pickup most of your registry even if that's the source of your problem.

I suggest you find a nice backup program like Acronis Disk Director and take an image of your drive the way it is now so you can easily go back if you foobar your install.

I suggest not only formatting but deleting and repartitioning your drive.

For XP walkthroughs:

http://www.google.com/search?q=XP+install+walkthrough

I strongly caution you against trying to install more than one OS to a physical drive. If you want a multiboot environment with less hassle purchase a drive tray and one drive per OS and swap them either by hand or with a kludged switch.

If you only have one drive you're going to experience "double strike" while your swap lives on the same physical device as your applications. This will be especially traumatic if you have less than 1 gig of ram.

There are a variety of philosophies on how to partition a drive ASSUMING you have a separate physical drive for your swap and that depends on how you intend to use your system. Without more information you'll have to do all the reading yourself and decide.
Amsilva
tank you all for the tips.

Will folow all advices. For start will make a image of my docs/files. The will try to setup again XP with formatation of c: (have to clean all the acumulated garbage that is my actual OS)

I remember that i tryed to setup several times my OS, but at the boot couldnt format or partioned any thing. The XP setup runed all the times alone all the process. Conclusion: 6 or 7 XP'S acumulated at my pc.

There is anything that i have to do to run the screen of formating/partion at the boot?

Sorry for the my english... for good writing ony in my mother language Smile ... Portuguese...
Thanks again all you guys!
junior
I open co eslação program I select the partisão desired presione to enter later keyboard key l aquarde the computer I will be restarted I will be shown one contrto I select I accept this contract click in advancing now I wait and later he places the asked for information and ready. Very Happy
corey
Good luck. When you have your files backed up, use the XP disk to boot to the installer. Before installing, though, delete all the partitions you have and then ask for it to format again. You should not run into the trouble you had before.
Amsilva
Shocked Shocked Shocked
Had serious problems! My PC at this moment is Caotic! Dont know what hapened.... I afirmed that i was making a disc image, but 16G of data image its to much for CD recording....
I wonted to format C:, the partition of my XP, but no way! I've tryed several times, and had no luck.
My brilliant idea: Laughing Laughing Put MS-DOS disquette in to a:, reebot and voilá: "format c:\*.*" Laughing Laughing Laughing
Introduced again my installation XP CD and "enter"... Opss Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed something is not correct... wy i still cant acess the format/partition screen on the installation process... i think. well let run until the end.
Well completed the process lets see how it works...it worked fine, but my partitions and all my files that was in other discs all gone!!
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
I did it again!!... I f.... all my 3 years work files!!
Now what???There is any solution? For this MegaIdiotThing?
thinkping
this is really doable, so if you isntall you can choose which partition you want, NEVER really never let him format the drive you can let him install over an installation, then he will kill the old winXP BUT he wont delete the private Folder, the Folder "Documents and Settings" will be reused and there will be for example a new folder like Administrator.1 or so.

so you have your old settings and the new system is clean. Then copy the files to your folder and you can use them again, might be possible that you'll have to set new permissions for the old files and folders.

BUT consider to save the files to a DVD/CD before installing new, then formation and then copy back, this might let you have a clean system.

Might be the best way...

I have a really funny system.

c: --> is old FAT16 with Win98, from there he boots DOS and Win98 with the bootloader OR as I used the most times WinXP on e:

this works very well.

one thing, using a DOSBOOTdisk to format c: will not work, cause the format will not accept the NTFS-Filesystem, but you can delete and reformat the old partition within XPSetup, I used this often cause its the easiest way to format a NTFSpartition without the need of other software on a BOOTCD that costs money :8