FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ever heard of post-traumatic text disorder and Textaphrenia?

deanhills
A research study in Australia says Australian teenagers are becoming text addicts and that this may result in a range of mental disorders such as Textaphrenia, post-traumatic text disorder, textiety, and binge texting:

Quote:
Jennie Carroll, of Melbourne's RMIT University, was commenting on figures from phone service provider Boost Mobile that text traffic had almost doubled in volume since 2008. One of Boost's teenage customers was averaging 444 messages a day. Among the possible downsides of texting, outlined by Carroll:

Textaphrenia: the mistaken belief that you have heard the beep or felt the vibration of an incoming text message.

Post-traumatic text disorder: when texters walk into things or are otherwise oblivious to what is around them.

Textiety: the crisis of confidence when time goes by without a text being received.

Binge texting: sending a blizzard of texts to boost confidence.

"With textaphrenia and textiety, there's a feeling no one loves me, no one's contacted me," Carroll told the Herald Sun newspaper.

She said binge texting can either reflect the delusion you have more friends than you actually have or be a cry for help.

"You think you've been left out of the loop so you send a lot of texts and wait for the response," Carroll said. - Sapa-dpa

Source: IOLtechnology.co.za
HalfBloodPrince
I used to sometimes (very rarely) hear the Windows Live Messenger "new message" beep in my head, very randomly, just sitting around. It stopped when I completely switched to Linux Think
Nameless
[quote=]Post-traumatic text disorder: when texters walk into things or are otherwise oblivious to what is around them. [/quote]
*facepalm*

Not that people can't become overly addicted to pretty much anything (they can), but blatantly bastardising a term like 'post-traumatic stress disorder' for mild carelessness is asinine and quite frankly offensive even to somebody who hasn't suffered such a serious condition.
standready
Very interesting. I wondered when someone would waste their time to study and name the "text=phobias". Life is good.
apple
hmmm...this is different. I'll have to keep an eye on my son and take note of his habits.
Josso
Used to get the first one a bit, when I used to recieve texts constant.
Torspot
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
I used to sometimes (very rarely) hear the Windows Live Messenger "new message" beep in my head, very randomly, just sitting around. It stopped when I completely switched to Linux Think

This is total profit Very Happy The Linux system has taken over you and now!...your windows messenger disorder no longer exists! hazza!

Ya, iv never had any of these...!@#$, i just jinxed myself lol.
missdixy
Uh oh, I think I have Textaphrenia. Sad
LittleBlackKitten
LOL...What IS the world coming to. I probably am a bad case of a few of these; but it's not uncommon to be mistaken that your phone's gone off, that happens to me ALL THE TIME. I also frequently weave while walking and texting... Lol! Too funny.
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I also frequently weave while walking and texting... Lol! Too funny.
I think most people do. I'm particularly intrigued with people who use two fingers, mostly the thumbs of both hands simultaneously to do the texting. Totally fascinating to me how they do it, as well as the speed they do it with.
missdixy
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
LOL...What IS the world coming to. I probably am a bad case of a few of these; but it's not uncommon to be mistaken that your phone's gone off, that happens to me ALL THE TIME. I also frequently weave while walking and texting... Lol! Too funny.

I have actually bumped into plenty of people while attempting to walk/text so I sort of stopped doing that haha. I either just stop walking for a bit or I'll sort of walk very slow and text very slow so I can try not to hit anyone haha. The worst time was when I bumped into an old lady at Target and she almost fell over...Sad Ha. But yes, now I just kinda stop walking and move to the side that way if anyone bumps into me it's their fault!

And also, I never text and drive, though often when i am driving I think I hear my phone getting messages and then once i get to my destination I look at my phone and see that I have 0 new messages haha. I'm feeling pathetic now Sad
Ghost Rider103
I've never heard of any of these. But will say I do have pretty much all of those symptoms.

I text quite a bit, and very often think I hear my phone going off or think I feel it vibrating in my pocket or even while it's sitting next to me in the car, lap or on my desk, etc.
Arty
I experience Textaphrenia daily, even though I never text. Does hearing an IM program count? Razz
deanhills
Arty wrote:
I experience Textaphrenia daily, even though I never text. Does hearing an IM program count? Razz
I hear music too when there is no music. So I guess we must have an inbuilt recorder somewhere in our mind's ear? Smile
Jinx
I don't do much texting, so I don't know about these disorders, but I have started having dreams about my virtual farm on Farmville... I think I might be spending a little too much time there. Smile
Nameless
Jinx wrote:
I don't do much texting, so I don't know about these disorders

No. You don't know about these 'disorders' because they are an poor attempt at both fear- and funding- mongering, I suspect.
iman
Lol, textiety. You just have to get used to it.
wombatrpgs
Nameless wrote:
No. You don't know about these 'disorders' because they are an poor attempt at both fear- and funding- mongering, I suspect.

Oh, I thought the whole thing was an excuse to make awful texting portmanteaus.
guissmo
Horrible portmanteaus, indeed.

Well, I'll have to admit, I sometimes feel something vibrating in my pants when my phone's in my pocket. But when I check, it was apparently not my phone... so....
nam_siddharth
I am not in smsing, so have I have none of these disorders. But I know some guys who are heavily sms senders. Some of them send 1000 sms per month. These guys must have some type of these disorders.