FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem installing phpBB2

Conikair
I've installed phpBB2 on Frihost at least 5 times succesfully, but I cannot get it to work now! I got a new subdomain and now nothing's working. Everything goes as normal until I reupload the config.php file, and then I get this error:

phpBB : Critical Error
Could not connect to the database

I've done everything I can think of!!! I think I may have accidentally deleted a couple (default) important folders. Confused Embarassed
Any suggestions? I would be extremely glad if anyone could help me.

EDIT: I just realized I put this in the wrong forum. Embarassed Sorry!!!
Bockman
Did you do it from fantastico? the advice i give for installing this is to use cpanel and afterwards update phpBB (still not updated on fantastico).

As for the problems when you upload your config.php.. did you configure your database and user access on mysql?

Be Well Cool
Alienz
It seen like you used the wrong database name or database username/password.

Make sure you have created your database name and database username/password in your cpanel.
Conikair
OK, I did the Fantastico installation and then updated. thanks much! when it comes to php, I'm copy-and-paste. Rolling Eyes
n0obie4life
Conikair wrote:
Everything goes as normal until I reupload the config.php file

this is where you made the mistake. You ain't suppose to reupload it.
Helios
Fantastico will do EVERYTHING for you(excluding the mods).
don´t upload any core files from your HD!

Fantastico will also create a database for you, so backup and delete the old one.
n0obie4life
Helios wrote:
Fantastico will do EVERYTHING for you(excluding the mods).
don´t upload any core files from your HD!

Fantastico will also create a database for you, so backup and delete the old one.

no fantastico is the "dumbest" thing ever! its fer noobs! manual uploading is better!
Conikair
Well, I really prefer doing it myself, except in this case where I just updated the Fantastico installation. Wink
darknez3
Whether it is uploading by hand, or installing through Fantastico, it doesn't matter. It is the same quality of installation but many people just find it more convenient and time efficient to use fantastico.
homer09001
ok the version in fantastico is now out of data and the new version has been released by phpBB

install like so:

1) create a database e.g. phpbb (note the database name)
2) assign a username to this database --> do this via cpanel (note the username and password)
3) upload all files to directory of choice
4) open the directory in your web browser
5) fill out the required fields with the informtion e.g db name username and password etc. leve prefix as it is
6) download teh config.php maually place it in an empty folder (this way you know your not going to ue the wrong config file)
7) upload the new config.php to --> phpbb root directory
Cool delete the following directorys: install, contrib, Docs*

*not required but better for security purposes

go to the phpbb root directory in your browser and hey presto it should work!

let me know
meangurl
n0obie4life wrote:
no fantastico is the "dumbest" thing ever! its fer noobs! manual uploading is better!

true, manual uploading is better 'coz on the way, you'll learn something and if the installations is over, you'll feel relieved after all the hard work. yet, with fantastico, you can easily install something with a few clicks, it's suitable for lazy people and those what you call noobs.

i really hate it when someone brags about something like "i've installed a forum" and all that crap with just because of fantastico.. it's not even worth to brag with something like that. yet again, manual uploading's better.
n0obie4life
meangurl wrote:
n0obie4life wrote:

true, manual uploading is better 'coz on the way, you'll learn something and if the installations is over, you'll feel relieved after all the hard work. yet, with fantastico, you can easily install something with a few clicks, it's suitable for lazy people and those what you call noobs.

i really hate it when someone brags about something like "i've installed a forum" and all that crap with just because of fantastico.. it's not even worth to brag with something like that. yet again, manual uploading's better.

yep..Wink.

Anyway, just don't reupload the config.php.

After uploading config.php, chmod it 777. After installation, chmod it back.