FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


education must be free! don't you agree?





epspk
is there any free service online that gives you a real certification for free? like free certification if you do a short online course on a certain subject and have a certificate mailed to you for absolutely no charge at all? I just want to beef up the trainings and skills portion of my Cv haha
any leads will be appreciated!
Bikerman
No industry recognised training will be offered free - who is going to teach it for free?

There are excellent resources available if you want to try independant study.....
epspk
Bikerman wrote:
No industry recognised training will be offered free - who is going to teach it for free?

There are excellent resources available if you want to try independant study.....


yeah, guess so... tried googling it but no luck...
I'm an educator myself and i don't teach for free, but wouldn't it be great if there were some?
I can find all the resources I need, it's just that sometimes, some institutions prefer seeing a certain kind of paper to certify it, rather that seeing the actual proof that I can do something I've learnt thru self study.

anyway its worth a try...
soljarag
epspk wrote:
is there any free service online that gives you a real certification for free? like free certification if you do a short online course on a certain subject and have a certificate mailed to you for absolutely no charge at all? I just want to beef up the trainings and skills portion of my Cv haha
any leads will be appreciated!



I guess you could learn the stuff on your own and Print your own "certification" Smile and that would be free


No one is going to provider certification material and teach you for free Smile
PureReborn
Any certification worth anything wont be free. The organization needs to pay costs somehow and membership fees (if any) arent enough.

If you're talking about Computer Science field then just go and building something.
A website, an application, a new service. Anything that adds to your portfolio and you can show to others.
epspk
PureReborn wrote:
Any certification worth anything wont be free. The organization needs to pay costs somehow and membership fees (if any) arent enough.

If you're talking about Computer Science field then just go and building something.
A website, an application, a new service. Anything that adds to your portfolio and you can show to others.


Well, I agree with you. What I don't agree is... Why can't there be an institution that recognizes something you can do that you've learned on your own and give you a certification for it? For example, If I mastered the use of MySQL or php all through self learning, why do I have to go to training again just to get a certification on it?

If I build a website and show it to these institutions, can they just give me the certification and then maybe i can just pay for the paper used.
deanhills
@epspk. What you say does make sense, except people probably need to cover their costs in employing staff and providing their services. Microsoft most certainly is making lots of money out of it. A large portion of the fees that go for Microsoft certification in all of their courses is the name.

What you could do however, is what someone else has already recommended. Once you are really proficient at what you are doing, make arrangements for sponsoring someone to create an online certification for you, and then make it available free for others to use. I would be surprised however, once you have set it up, that you would want to make if available for free. You would probably want to put your name to it, and then charge a fee for it. Before you do it, you may have to register it where you are, in order for it to be industry standard. It takes hard work to get to that level.
peyote
Education must be free, and is free t osome people.
md7dani
yeah we have free education, and I think it should be free for everyone. In most countries you have to pay a lot every year to study.
iman
well, isn't that the goal of scholarships?
Da Rossa
Well, for a logic reason quality courses can't be free. You must pay and reward the investiment the author of the course did to teach you the knowledge. Even for "probononess-oriented" teachers: something they must get otherwise they can be very satisfacted for having, for instance, you approved in an exam, but he needs a personal gratification.

Education cannot be free unless you can manage to educate yourself or your children, like in home schooling, which is something very good imo.
soljarag
epspk wrote:
PureReborn wrote:
Any certification worth anything wont be free. The organization needs to pay costs somehow and membership fees (if any) arent enough.

If you're talking about Computer Science field then just go and building something.
A website, an application, a new service. Anything that adds to your portfolio and you can show to others.


Well, I agree with you. What I don't agree is... Why can't there be an institution that recognizes something you can do that you've learned on your own and give you a certification for it? For example, If I mastered the use of MySQL or php all through self learning, why do I have to go to training again just to get a certification on it?

If I build a website and show it to these institutions, can they just give me the certification and then maybe i can just pay for the paper used.



Some institutions let you "test out" of classes... where you just take the final exam, and if you pass that you can....



No institution will just give you a certification just because you built a website....
Greatking
Yes education should be free. this gives access to everyone to have a great life through education.
Greatking
unless there is an institution that has resources to pay teachers and lecturers then education can be free, where you learn and go out there to serve the country and make some money for yourself as well.
deanhills
Greatking wrote:
unless there is an institution that has resources to pay teachers and lecturers then education can be free, where you learn and go out there to serve the country and make some money for yourself as well.
Problem is that for the education to be acknowledged as bona fide, it has to be rated by accredited education bodies. That alone has a charge attached to it. Over and above the cost to employ teachers that are suitably qualified and teaching programmes and equipment that meet set criteria.
LittleBlackKitten
I don't agree that it SHOULD be free - I agree that it should be LESS EXPENSIVE. It's getting harder and harder to live, and the high cost of school is almost not even worth the pain and effort of it anymore.
SonLight
The materials to study and educate yourself are often free, as others have mentioned. Many universities are sponsoring "open education" and putting their course materials -- either the same ones they currently use or have used recently in their regular classes -- online and accessible at no charge.

Part of the problem of using these materials effectively is staying motivated. If you can select the right materials to study and are committed, you probably can learn on your own. You might need to pay the equivalent of "lab fees" or buy books though, so a high-quality education would seldom be completely free.

What I think we need more of is testing and certification to prove to the world that you have indeed learned the subject. That cannot be entirely free, as developing good tests and keeping the questions out of the hands of those who would like to cheat requires expensive resources. It is certainly desirable to make the cost to the students as low as possible though.
Da Rossa
Greatking wrote:
Yes education should be free. this gives access to everyone to have a great life through education.


Only in Plato's world of ideas... should be free, but can't be free.
shkhanal
What about managing costs with some other sources and let students get free education? We have a school here in Kathmandu that chargen monthly Rs 100 only that is a nominal fee. Other schools are charging at least Rs 1500 and more. That school is managing funds through social donations and other activities. Many Nepalese citizens abroad are donating to that school. I think its a good move.
menino
If you do learn sql by yourself, you can take the test and be certified, rather than taking the course. It will then show how proficient you are on the topic, isnt it?

I think brainbench.com offers free certifications (based on promotions), for various topics, and this might be useful for you.

If all schools provided free education, I think people would take it for granted, but thats just my opinion.

I think probably what could happen is that education is provided free, and monitored by a centralized instituion that does job placements,, based on your results and aptitude in various companies that require employees that meet their job requirements.
Da Rossa
Quote:
I think its a good move.

Still, it is difficult to implement, in a stable basis, worldwide Sad At least I think..
selim06
Greatking wrote:
Yes education should be free. this gives access to everyone to have a great life through education.

I think making education free would cause new problems, like you say if it becomes free almost everyone would study some degrees whereas we don't need that much qualified scientists or scholars. What about the jobs learned in practical ways or non-qualification required jobs? Some people would spend their whole life on education and end up with nothing even though they could be very successful in other areas.
The cost of education makes people think about their capabilities and if it's really worth it they continue their education.
Secondly tuition fees also creates a customer approach to education sector. Colleges and universities must satisfy customers (students) and improve their facilities to get new customers.
I do agree talented people should receive bursaries and scholarships thus they can fulfil their capacities.
mengshi200
I agree this opion,but i more support medical free.
ankur209
Well....Yeah i agree to this point too...!!

Education is everyone's birthright....!!

n he should have it...!!
natilovesmike
yep. I agree...I come from Argentina were education _is_ free. I got a BS in biology which i technically more like a masters degree compared to the programs here in the US.

And i didn't pay a thing...except for books and transport to school. But I was lucky enough that my parents could support me and I didn't have to work at the same time. Other kids I knew had to work and study and that can be pretty rough because the degrees are pretty involved.
Insanity
If it's not free, it should at least be funded by everyone... it's a right to have an education. It's a necessity in today's society.
Radar
I assumed when I read the title that this was talking about education up until the end of high school - primary or secondary education. That is, or is reasonably close to being, free, if you're talking about public school systems.

Tertiary education... I wish.
chatrack
Hi,

we have by law, there should be "free and compulsory" education should be given up to
8th standard. Only nominal fee is taken all study material are free
Greatking
i believe if people pay for education then they will value it, of course i believe in scholarships and educational funds. people set up funds for pupils and students or the government helps the public by reducing education cost, there is always a way out, but for education to be totally free for all, that will be impossible to achieve. its best if there are funds or scholarships set up for children.
Cliffer
basic education should be free,but for industrial skill education may not be free,so people will value the chance to master the skill.
agbor
I have always wish that education will be free but can it realy be free? it can really happen in our our world today if only our government can use our God given resources to bless our lifes.... I am looking forward to our world being educated and enjoy life like never befor.
Radar
It can be made free, but at the same time, it's of course being paid for through taxes.

It's simply free for you. Other people are paying for it. Although, having said that, I'd like to think I'd support paying for such a scheme.
zbale
Bikerman wrote:
No industry recognised training will be offered free - who is going to teach it for free?

There are excellent resources available if you want to try independant study.....


I beg to differ. Some countries (I'm thinking of France specifically, where I grew up and studied) have free education, including at University level. I got to the end of a PhD without paying more than the entrance fee, which amounts to around 300 Euro per year in the recent years (most of it is for social security coverage).

Though the system is certainly not perfect (but what educational system is? look at the ongoing debate in the US), and though richer people still tend to be better off because their kids got private tutoring or were given a head start with private schools before reaching University, it goes a long way to ensure more equal opportunities.

Philosophically, this kind of system is remarkable because it means that education is funded by the State, i.e. eventually by taxpayers. What it means is that it does not matter whether one has children or not, everybody contributes to the education of the new generation, which I think is a strong ethical statement.

Note that it doesn't help much to go to France to study if you come from abroad because then you'd have to pay some higher fees (still much lower than an Ivy-league University).

Now the question above was actually raised for Internet learning resources, for which I believe Bikerman's statements to be more accurate. There are plenty of resources on the web but if you live in a country where diplomas are given a very high value regardless of your actual knowledge and experience, it may not help when you're looking for a job that you've learned a lot if you don't have diplomas to prove it! However, I believe that the more you learn, whether you get diplomas for it or not, the better off you'll be in the long run (and if you feel secure about what you've learned, I'd suggest you mention it in your CV, as "self-taught").
debjitbiswas
Education is important in every part of the life. Without education life is incomplete. I think it is important part of our life. In some states in India are very poor due to economy and social networking. Thus, these state educational performance is very poor or low. In India out the seven million children in India a lot live in economic and social environment are very poor. Their physical and metal development are not complete or are incomplete without education. So some children work as a labour,etc in short age. So children life are low and his physical and mental development are stop.
At present time, there are nearly 6-7 million children in this category of relative age group ( 6-14 age ). However nearly 72 percent children are out of school or are not go to school, and only 20 percent are go to only daily to get primary education and ten percent reach highest education, and few percent children are reach technical and professional education. So education system is very bad.
So our government has decided to give education to all those children who are out of school. So there is need of a better system for give education to short age students. So our government established a new act.
The education is fundamental right
The government has implemented as historic educational act to all short age childrens of the age of 6-14 years. In this act will directly benefit to million of short age childrens who do not able to get education in schools, so this a great time for them. The act makes it a right of every child to get education.

Reasons of deavoid of children from education -
1. In india large number of people are very poor.
2. In India less facility to transposation and scholing.
3. Uneducated parents are also a big reason.
I think this act is an important step in the direction of get education to all child.

Features of this Act
1. When a child complete his primary education there shall be provided a certificate.
2. The main features of this act is provided Rs. 25000 crore for better implementation of this bill.
3. In this act said that, free and compulsory education to all the children of age of 6-14 years.
4. Large number of teachers are required for implementate for this act.
5. Admission in school without fees or without any interview.
Management
for better implementation group of parents are should be made, teachers and children relationship, and the people of country are support for this act.
The right to education is being founded by usa government. It is another major achievement after the right to information act and national rural implemyed quarrenty act. It is other suprising thing for indian peoples.
The finance commission has provided Rs. 25,000 crore implementation of the act.
In India all the govt and non. Govt has welcome for this act.
Afaceinthematrix
epspk wrote:


Well, I agree with you. What I don't agree is... Why can't there be an institution that recognizes something you can do that you've learned on your own and give you a certification for it? For example, If I mastered the use of MySQL or php all through self learning, why do I have to go to training again just to get a certification on it?

If I build a website and show it to these institutions, can they just give me the certification and then maybe i can just pay for the paper used.


Why would they just give it to you for free? Then many people would try to self-learn and then just show up for a certification test and avoid many of the costs that the program would charge and then how would they stay in business?

Besides, if I am in charge of a education program then I want to absolutely make sure that every single student who gets a certificate from there is completely qualified for both my sake and their sake. Every person who graduates from any institution who doesn't have a complete mastery of all course material is both undermining the integrity of the institution and making the certificate of everyone else mean even less. That's why I half wish that I was the worst in my class at school - then when I graduate my degree will mean more (although I wouldn't really want to be the worst, that's why I only half wish).

So you can't just have one single test because it would be almost impossible to cover everything. You need to have many tests for many classes and consistently show that you actually know all the course material to ensure that the institution's integrity in awarding degrees and certifications is upheld.
macky
epspk wrote:
is there any free service online that gives you a real certification for free? like free certification if you do a short online course on a certain subject and have a certificate mailed to you for absolutely no charge at all? I just want to beef up the trainings and skills portion of my Cv haha
any leads will be appreciated!


yes there are some free service online or short short online course that absolutely gives a real

certification...
inuyasha
I has been told that primary and secondary education is already free in many countries, for instance, America, Britain, Austrilia, and many other developed countries.
Besides, In 2009, primary education became free in China, a developing country.

But if you mean university education, I don't think it would be possible, at least not in the near future.
therimalaya
Country specific rule may impose basic education free but online, i don't think any one will offer it for free. But free resources are there from where anyone can learn in self effort. But i think, no one have free offer for certification.
zbale
zbale wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
No industry recognised training will be offered free - who is going to teach it for free?

There are excellent resources available if you want to try independant study.....


I beg to differ. Some countries (I'm thinking of France specifically, where I grew up and studied) have free education, including at University level. I got to the end of a PhD without paying more than the entrance fee, which amounts to around 300 Euro per year in the recent years (most of it is for social security coverage).

Though the system is certainly not perfect (but what educational system is? look at the ongoing debate in the US), and though richer people still tend to be better off because their kids got private tutoring or were given a head start with private schools before reaching University, it goes a long way to ensure more equal opportunities.

Philosophically, this kind of system is remarkable because it means that education is funded by the State, i.e. eventually by taxpayers. What it means is that it does not matter whether one has children or not, everybody contributes to the education of the new generation, which I think is a strong ethical statement.

Now the question above was actually raised for Internet learning resources, for which I believe Bikerman's statements to be more accurate. There are plenty of resources on the web but if you live in a country where diplomas are given a very high value regardless of your actual knowledge and experience, it may not help when you're looking for a job that you've learned a lot if you don't have diplomas to prove it! However, I believe that the more you learn, whether you get diplomas for it or not, the better off you'll be in the long run (and if you feel secure about what you've learned, I'd suggest you mention it in your CV, as "self-taught").


I need to add something while praising France's (and other "free-education" countries') system: it's free if you have the nationality. If you come from a country outside the European Union, you pay the high price (still, not much compared with American Universities).
Mrs Lycos
Now for the lovers of free education- here's the major downside:

In my country univeristy education is free - you only pay a nominal fee that could be around US$100 per year. And it's free for our citizens and for foreigners too.

Now I know that becoming a doctor or a lawyer in the states is extremely expensive. Here's free. Let's take the case of lawyers. It takes 6 years to complete the university courses. Every year we have thousands of young - and not so young- people enroled in first year, this year there were 3.600 in one of the major universities only, Psychology (2.354), Medicine (2.265).
And how many finally get their degree? a lot, but not related to the amount of registered in first year. Apart from the fact that that amount of lawyers is useless for society, there are so many that, taking education is free, and no pressures to complete it on time because "time is money", we finally have what we call "chronic" students. Students that take 10 or more years to complete their studies - if they do it at all. And grades are pathetic, and those are the future professionals in society.
I really feel it's like "casting pearls before swine". And that's paid with everybody's taxes. With everything for free and nothing asked in return, there's nothing that compels people to do it well. There will always be a handful of people that do it because it's in them to do it right, the same as the people who can study independently. But in general it's not the case.
bukaida
Recognized education cannot be/is not free anywhere at any level. Someone is going to pay for it. In most of the countries, the government bears the cost upto some level and makes it appear free for the citizens. The logic is very simple, teaching is a profession and the teachers need to survive. It is something like asking the doctor to treat all the patients free ( which will make him/her a patient soon out of starvation). In all other profession, we are paying for the service, but whenever it is coming to education, we are expecting it free!!
emanuel2
yes, the internet has done a lot to "free" education. I am education myself every day with help of the internet.
bukaida
Yes ,you can always study a medical book and treat yourself (at your own risk). Acquering knowledge and getting degree is not always synonimous.
Insanity
Isn't most public education free? At least in the US it's free up to college at least. There's definitely some costs associated with going to school that isn't going to be covered by taxpayers, but for the most part it is.

I think education is extremely important. It should be free, and it's important to have a educated public.
Greatking
Education should not be for free.
because the teachers would have to be paid.
when people pay for a service they are serious about it.
when its free they take it lightly.
scholarships schemes can be incorporated.
education can be free at some level but should definitely not be free at all levels
zbale
Here is a fantastic article by Malcolm Gladwell about college rankings in the USA. It includes the question of the fees but goes much further than that. A real eye-opener:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_gladwell
GoldenEagle
Bikerman wrote:
No industry recognised training will be offered free - who is going to teach it for free?

There are excellent resources available if you want to try independant study.....


Bikerman hit it right on the head. Certificates come from good sources, and good sources are unlikely to be free.

If you can get a job ANYWHERE, most companies have some training you can do. Best Buy, for example, has online courses to teach Lean and Six Sigma to its employees at no cost to the workers. This sort of training is incredibly relevant to acquiring future positions, even salaried corporate positions.
mengshi200
basic education should be free,but for industrial skill education may not be free,
---------------
I agree with this point.education should be free,but Study should not care free.hehe.
Hello_World
Education is free until the end of high school here. Uni is free - not really, you get a loan which you pay back through tax. It is a good deal. Everyone should have access to it. Without free education the cycle of poverty continues.

You can get certified by W3School, you pay about $70 and have to find your own supervisor but you study yourself and sit the test and get a cetification.

I haven't done it, I was thinking about it, then I asked someone IRL who is a programmer and he said don't bother, better just to make portfolio pieces.

EDIT: True, it is paid by the taxpayer so that it isn't an individual burden. The taxpayer (me lol) is happy to pay otherwise who wants to live in a country where there is an endless cycle of poverty for some? Me, the taxpayer benefitted, now I pay for my fellow human to benefit.
socials
Sure!! Education should be free, I don't understand sometimes why the college prices are going so high.
cresvale
Yes, terrible agree. UP!
Ryox
It would be nice for education to be free. But on the other hand, I do understand the cost of certificates.

Maybe they should lower the cost of Education for University's and College's? Instead of putting through the roof. They should make a adjustable monthly payment plan to pay for the education rather than paying it in full amount?

It would give students a chance to go to college if they don't work because it would be a monthly plan instead of the full amount which would cost for full credit.

As for myself, It would be a nice idea' for small portions of low amounts of money instead of the full amount it costs to get into college.

I can't get financial help because of the DEBT that I am. >_>; No job sucks.
Hello_World
Ryox

Here the system to pay for uni/college is this. The government pays. BUT when you earn over a certain amount, about the norm of a full time job, you pay back a percentage in your tax, until it is paid off. There is interest but it is at the rate of inflation so it is small.

It takes a very long time to pay back unless you choose to pay extra. But that is not of huge consequence.

It is a good system, because anyone can choose to do this and go to uni, even if you are of a struggling background.

Of course you still have to manage to live while you are spending all your time studying... but there is no real uni fees.
webpinoy
Basic education should be free. Of course it would be nice if even higher education could be free. But teachers must have income, schools must cover their expenses. So where ever is free education, there is a government behind who support this system.

So, it depends where you study. Is it in a country which gives support for educational institutions?

If not, unfortunately you have to pay for good education.
Mrs Lycos
I think the question here is not if education should be free or not, I think the question is that if good education should be accessible to anyone who wants to study - in terms of loans, scholarships, payback systems, etc.

It shouldn't be available to only those who can afford thousands, and so, as many exposed here, continue a "cycle of poverty" because the people in need would never get the chance of accessing a diploma necessary for a good job.

But it should never be free. If you're given something for free you will never value it as much as you should.
Insanity
I agree with the idea that loans and scholarships should be used to support those who really want to have higher education. I think that at the most basic level, education should be free. It's such an important aspect to our lives. Can you imagine not being able to read and write in today's world and being able to survive? You wouldn't be able to understand how our government works, and you wouldn't know how to vote correctly. It's important for the survival of democracy that its citizens know how to read, write, and understand the basics of the political system. The political system ultimately controls and makes the laws that everyone is required to obey. I think that's why most public school education is free in the United States, and why higher education isn't really. People are assumed to know what's going on in the world after high school.
shivaghimire
Here in Nepal we have free education for girls up to secondary level in government schools but I think it should be made free for boys too and free education is most essential thing for the development of the nation as education shows us the path of prosperity.
friho
i think it's hard to have free education because everyone has indolence and it's hard to keep
effective when you learning without teacher. and if we do this that more and more people will loose their job and society pressure will become more serious.in my opinion, there are too much factors to consider.
Related topics
What do you think about text books being free?
Justification for War in Iraq
Hello from good old Germany
Abortion or Murder?
Buy My Sig Space(reopened)
Easy way to earn 50 Frih$
Foriegners, permenant residents, immigration, etc.
Bush: last chance to reward the oil companies.
Post On My Forum 1 Post = 5 Fri$h
ABC: Christians and Atheists to Debate the Existence of God!
Extremist drama in Pakistan
Unwanted: Girls in India
Code This.
Is 13 too young to sail round the world solo?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Jobs and Learning

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.