FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Accurate Left/Right Brain Test?

HalfBloodPrince

Do you see her turning clockwise or anti-clockwise? They say that if you see her turning clockwise you're right brain oriented (philosophy, artistic, "big picture", imaginative) and if you see her turning anti-clockwise you're left brained (math, logic, precision, patterns, fact based).

At first sight I always see her turning clockwise, but if I stare at the foot and convince myself that's it's not turning but rather poking left, then poking right, then left, I can "make myself" see her turning anti-clockwise after a few seconds of concentration.

What do you see?
Nemesis234
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
What do you see?

NIPPLES! lol

looking top down i see clockwise, i try and make her go the other way like you say but it doesnt work for me. she is turning clockwise so i see her turning clockwise, i cant trick my brain to think otherwise :p

edit: lol, was just looking at it again and all of a sudden it started going anti-clockwise, was like WAT!? how is that even possible
saratdear
I've seen this a few times. Now I can make her turn in both directions by concentrating, but the first time I see her turning clockwise, always.
standready
counter-clockwise then read your text and looked back up at her and she was spinning clockwise
ProfessorY91
Nemesis234 wrote:
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
What do you see?

NIPPLES! lol

I admit, that was the first thing I noticed.

I'm a scientist, teacher of math, and computer programmer. I see her turning clockwise.

Quote:
They say that if you see her turning clockwise you're right brain oriented (philosophy, artistic, "big picture", imaginative) and if you see her turning anti-clockwise you're left brained (math, logic, precision, patterns, fact based).

I'm sorry, but I don't think its right to make those generalizations/classifications from a simple right/left brained test. They say, so they say, but can they say, or should they say?
HalfBloodPrince
ProfessorY91 wrote:
I'm a scientist, teacher of math, and computer programmer. I see her turning clockwise.

Being right brained doesn't limit you at all from those things. Keep in mind Einstein, Bill Gates and da Vinci were all right brained. It just means you take a different approach to things...that's why Einstein was practically kicked out of school - a system where left brain concepts rule. Later in his life when he was doing math that most people can barely fathom half a century later, supposedly it was impossible for him to show his work because his mind would process answers so fast that slowing down to write out how he got from step to step would only hinder him. And also, being right brain oriented doesn't mean you're brain dead on the left (or vice versa); an average of most tests tells me I'm 60% right brained and 40% left brained. You can study/work in whichever field you like, your brain orientation will just effect how you study/learn it.
deanhills
I looked at her head and saw her turning clockwise, and when I looked down at her feet, I saw her going anti-clockwise. It was spontaneous. I only read the detail about this in your opening message after I had gone through this experience, i.e. when I dropped my eyes down to look at her feet, I thought I must have looked wrong originally. Then realized what you said was right on. So it must depend which part of her anatomy the eyes are fixed on whether it is right or left brain, whole brain, or no brain? Smile
nam_siddharth
She is turning clockwise.
fladry
Truly amazing... I first saw her moving clockwise. And, after seeing her legs for some seconds, she started moving anticlockwise...
soljarag
I have seen this before.... its pretty crazy because when I first see it, its going clockwise.... and i think there is no way I could ever think its going the other way... then i look again, and it switched up on me
Magicman
I've seen this before and I remember being able to see it rotating either way but right now I can only see it going clockwise. I don't remember what the trick was to it, but I used to be able to change the way it seemed to rotate at will basically by just blinking but there must be another trick to it.
ninjakannon
Originally, she was turning anti-clockwise but like most people, when I looked at the feet, she switched direction becoming clockwise. Now, I realise the trick to switching direction is realising that the outstretched foot could be both in front or behind her at any point. Personally, I would describe myself using all these words apparently specific to one side of the brain: philosophic, artistic, "big picture", imaginative, mathematical, logical, precise.

I don't think being left-brained or right-brained or any-brained actually means anything. Say it was the case that being orientated to one side of the brain meant you used that side 10% or even 20% more, you may still be very unskilled in areas linked with this side and highly talented in skills linked in this way with the right side. I'm saying that even if there are grounds for calling someone left- or right-brained, I don't see what significance this has. Maybe I'm missing something?
missdixy
This is tripping me out. Originally, I saw her turning anti-clockwise. But then I concentrated a bit and now she seems to be going clockwise. And now I can't see her as going anti-clockwise anymore no matter how hard I try!!! ahhh. I can't wait to show this to some of my friends haha
ninjakannon
I just got a reply notification and decided to check the image again. Now it's as if the girl is facing away from me doing 180 degrees anti-clockwise followed by 180 degrees over and over. It's a very weird moment when I become conscious of a change in direction, like she didn't quite make a 180 degree rotation, but I can't figure out where the change occurred.

I must say, though, that she initially did a few anti-clockwise spins before this swinging motion occurred - the same initial direction as before.
Nick2008
She is moving clockwise, I can't make it go the other way.
darkeagle
Ýnteresting Confused

I can see her turning clockwise or anti-clockwise. When first time I thought she changes sometimes. But when I focused I can change the ways. And when turned my hand she can move easily same way with my hand...
molumania
when I stare at her boobs Shocked (I had to choose some point of orientation) It seems like one of her boobs disappears just as she turns her back to me - So I guess I only use my middle Brain Rolling Eyes hehehe
missdixy
Ok so I came back after a few days and she is STILL moving clockwise!! No matter how hard I try I cannot make her move anti-clockwise again even though that is how I originally saw her for a bit. Does this mean there is something wrong with me? Sad Haha
kutekitten
I don't think this is quite accurate... I know for a fact that I'm left brained, this has been proven numerous times, yet no matter how many times I try, I can't see her turning anti-clockwise.
deanhills
kutekitten wrote:
I don't think this is quite accurate... I know for a fact that I'm left brained, this has been proven numerous times, yet no matter how many times I try, I can't see her turning anti-clockwise.
Look at her feet instead of her head. She is turning clock-wise or anti-clock-wise depending where you are looking. So I agree, it is not a good test for left brained or right brained.
Bikerman
kutekitten wrote:
Unless you have undergone a WADA test (highly invasive) or magnetic resonance imaging, then nothing has been proven - since those are the only reliable ways of measuring brain lateralisation.

Quote:
Look at her feet instead of her head. She is turning clock-wise or anti-clock-wise depending where you are looking. So I agree, it is not a good test for left brained or right brained.

a) You are assuming that what you see is what others see.
b) Even if others DID see the same, then the test is to say which way she spins immediately - before having chance to closely examine the figure.
Insanity
Yes it spins clockwise... it's hard to see how other people might see it otherwise. I can't even get it to spin the other way with intense concentration..
jigoku05
when I first I saw it(3 years ago), it spins clockwise. but later I manage to make it spin either way.
Lagoless
How is this possible?
I can see her turning clockwise and turning anti-clockwise...
Can anyone please explains this? :O
Bikerman
It is very cleverly constructed. If you have any software which can handle GIF animation you can download the image and step through the frames.
It relies on the brain predicting. You are constantly predicting ahead when you listen or look. It is the brains way of coping with the overload of data - our senses put way too much information to process at once into the brain. It has to take shortcuts to keep up with things, and one of those shortcuts is anticipation. Ever been listening to someone and then realised a few seconds later that they said something important....that's the brain post-processing what it has already stored bypassing the immediate focus of attention.
There are some fantastic examples on the net, I'll see if I can find a particular one I'm thinking of...
Bikerman
Damn,,,can't edit it because of copyright.
OK - you'll just have to watch it as it comes.
ninjakannon
Bikerman wrote:
It relies on the brain predicting. You are constantly predicting ahead when you listen or look. It is the brains way of coping with the overload of data - our senses put way too much information to process at once into the brain. It has to take shortcuts to keep up with things, and one of those shortcuts is anticipation.

I'm not sure whether prediction is the brain's "way of coping with the overload of data". Indeed, I don't think the brain is 'overloaded', although there is a lot of data. The entire mechanism for data processing in the brain will deal with this quantity, so I prediction itself as special in this regard. I think that the role prediction probably plays is also in learning: if it predicts what's coming next and gets it right then the prediction was good and should be reinforced, if it gets it wrong then the prediction was bad and something must be changed.

Bikerman wrote:
Ever been listening to someone and then realised a few seconds later that they said something important....that's the brain post-processing what it has already stored bypassing the immediate focus of attention.

True, although I don't see the connection with prediction. The brain appears to process the input data very quickly to give you 'immediate' feedback, but also either repeats this processing after a delay or runs a different type of process on the same input data after a delay.
TurtleShell
That basketball thing is freaking me out. I can't believe I didn't see that.

As for the chick, she is switching directions. It's not me, it's her. unfair. it's cheating.
Bikerman
ninjakannon wrote:
I'm not sure whether prediction is the brain's "way of coping with the overload of data". Indeed, I don't think the brain is 'overloaded', although there is a lot of data. The entire mechanism for data processing in the brain will deal with this quantity, so I prediction itself as special in this regard. I think that the role prediction probably plays is also in learning: if it predicts what's coming next and gets it right then the prediction was good and should be reinforced, if it gets it wrong then the prediction was bad and something must be changed.
The brain is hugely overloaded in terms of potential data input vs processing capacity. It has a set of 'soft-filters' which route sensory input depending on priority. This 'routing system' is contained in the limbic part of the brain - what some call the reptilian brain. Although the brain is massively parallel and capable of processing a huge amount of input data, the sensory data input is greater than the raw processing power. The filters normally work well, but it does mean that a lot of input data is junked (or at least is never available to conscioussness).
There is also the benefit of burning less energy. The more of the brain you use, the more energy is used. In evolutionary terms using less energy is good, so if predictive routines can help, by allowing shortcuts rather than having to focus all available processing power, then they would be selected for.
http://social-brain.com/2010/04/29/the-predictive-process-of-perception/
deanhills
Probably a really good explanation Bikerman, but I just hate it when people say how my brain is supposed to operate. I thought that is something that belongs to the individual, and not all of us use our brains in the same way? Some of us use more of it, and others less of it? And then there are those that don't use it at all?
The proof is in examples like the one given here - most people see rotation in one way or the other and most people can, with a bit of time/effort, change it.
Bikerman
Most people use it to a similar level and like it or not most people do use their brains in the same sort of ways. That doesn't mean their beliefs will be the same, but at fundamental levels we store memories in the same way, filter inputs in the same way etc. The content of the filters is individual, but the mechanism appears to be universal.
ninjakannon
Bikerman wrote:
The brain is hugely overloaded in terms of potential data input vs processing capacity. It has a set of 'soft-filters' which route sensory input depending on priority. This 'routing system' is contained in the limbic part of the brain - what some call the reptilian brain. Although the brain is massively parallel and capable of processing a huge amount of input data, the sensory data input is greater than the raw processing power. The filters normally work well, but it does mean that a lot of input data is junked (or at least is never available to conscioussness).

Would you please explain these 'soft-filters', my current understanding of the processing of input data is that all input data is processed in the same way by the brain. I thought that input data from nerves of our given input (such as the optic nerve) corresponded to a set of neurons who's primary input was this raw data. This set of neurons forms the first layer in a hierarchical pattern recognition system for the given input.
Bikerman
OK.
Rather than attempt a long explanation, it might be better for me to point you to an appropriate source and then try to deal with any questions resulting...
Start here
http://www.web-us.com/BRAIN/PhysiologyOrdinaryConsciousness.htm
http://cognitive-psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/memory_encoding
Aredon
Saw her counterclockwise at first, and then after a few minutes of "how could she possibly be turning another direction" my girlfriend said that she switch directions when she tilted her head... I tilted mine to the left and suddenly she was going clockwise... I then struggled for nearly 5 minutes to return her to the counterclockwise rotation. Rolling Eyes
Arty
Left / right brain has no roots in psychology. So no, no right / left brain test is accurate.
sudipbanerjee
Figure is superb and her boobs oof!

She is moving anti clockwise
Bikerman
Arty wrote:
Left / right brain has no roots in psychology. So no, no right / left brain test is accurate.
LOL...that argument is tenuous. Firstly many things that do have roots in psychology are bogus, or at least highly questionable. Secondly there is certainly lateralisation of many functions in the brain - as we see in neuroscience, using scans and evidence from brain damage studies.
I would agree that the rigid split sometimes advocated is little more than a dogmatic belief, but to dismiss the whole thing is going too far.
dazzsser
The girl i think was turning Clock-wise and then i stared at her feet and she started turning counter-clockwise, I am left footed and right handed!! LOL. Then the gorilla one i saw the gorilla!! Really Crazy.
Navigator
The way I could make her spin the other way was to focus on the image and then unfocusing, then focusing again, try it out.
erlendhg
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
At first sight I always see her turning clockwise, but if I stare at the foot and convince myself that's it's not turning but rather poking left, then poking right, then left, I can "make myself" see her turning anti-clockwise after a few seconds of concentration.

Well, I've seen it before, and I have done something similar to what you describe.
Actually, I've done it so many times (when I have shown it to friends etc.), that she mostly goes "back and forth" to me, instead of turning completely. Funny Razz
bgoode98
Totally rigged
has nothing to do with the observer
loremar
I don't understand how people can turn her the other way. No matter how I look hard she's always turning counterclockwise. I look at her in a 3 dimensional way does that explains why? Confused

That is really unacceptable. I am certainly as artistic as I am analytical. Mad
I spend most of my life daydreaming. And I love to draw. And I'm good at listening to good music.
ninjakannon
loremar, try it again but really tell yourself that she is spinning the other way. I know this sounds cliché, but if you really believe that she is turning clockwise there's more chance that she will. I find that she can switch direction when she is facing sideways (i.e. not directly towards you or away from you, but either left or right).

Also,
bgoode98 wrote:
Totally rigged

What do you mean?
Bikerman
bgoode98 wrote:
Totally rigged

Err what? How can you 'rig' a graphic so that some observers see one thing and some another?
Talk sense.
loremar
HAHAHA. This is so completely stupid!

I wasn't able to will myself to switch it's turn. Not even wrack my brain to do it.

All I did was spend more time with the image. Well, I didn't stared at it the whole time. I just looked at it from time to time. And at some random time it switches its rotation.

Then I tested if I open the image in a new tab will it rotate in the other direction? Not only two tabs but several. And I observed that after some time, there were other images that switched clockwise but not all. To test if it's just my brain, I switched two images of different rotations, from one image to another and back to the original image. Repeated multiple times. And I observed that they don't influence each other. They stayed in their own rotations until one image switches. So it probably has nothing to do with the brain. But to really validate, I think there should be two persons watching the same monitor. Now I have to find someone who's willing to waste his time with this.

bgoode98 wrote:
Totally rigged

They probably hid some JavaScript in the gif image. I don't really know how but I heard from some people that you can. And that its also actually a source of abuse by some people which is why some images are untrustworthy.
Bikerman
Err...just in case you are being serious...
The image doesn't change...ever...it is always the same image apparently rotating. In fact, like all animations, it is simply a series of still images played one after the other. It is your brain that generates the impression that it is actually moving, and it is your brain that can switch that apparent movement from clockwise to anticlockwise, or vica versa. There is no javascript or other 'trick'.
loremar
Wow! I can't believe I bothered to waste my time to create this! Brick wall

It seems you can choose either way.
But about 80% of the time my brain choose to see it in counterclockwise.
Then what does that imply? Think Brick wall

(EDIT) 2.5 COINS? RIDICULOUS! Mad

So what does this mean? I'm a counterclockwise person?
I prefer counterclockwise than clockwise?
That probably explains why I hate clocks.
But that's because I hate it when time pass by so fast.
Bikerman
It is SAID to mean that the left side of your brain is dominant (clockwise would be right-side dominance).
Most people, in fact, see it spin counter-clockwise.

Left Side Brain functions

Single task
Logical
Detail orientated
Looks at the facts
Words and language
Present and past
Can comprehend
Looks for order
Reality based
Safe
Forms Strategies
Prefers numbers
Analytical

Right Side brain functions
Multiple task
Uses feeling
Sees the 'big picture'
Images, symbols and colours
Visual
Spontaneous
Present and future
Impetuous
Risk taking
Imagination
Daydreaming
Space
Rhythm

Personally I'm not convinced.....
loremar
I am not convince either. I can even say that I am more of a right brain if right brain dominant means a person who do more or is good at those right brain functions you mention.

I think it has to do more with aesthetics, IMO. It seems that I am more comfortable when she's rotating counterclockwise than clockwise. The moment I perceive her rotating clockwise, I felt there's something I can't put my finger on. Such perception would only last for a few seconds.

When it's counterclockwise, I felt I'm looking up on her.
When it's clockwise. I'm looking down on her.
Why I prefer looking up on her? I dunno. Maybe because I'm only 5'4" and some girls are taller than me?
Or maybe i prefer more of the upskirts than looking down on her boobs.

And one thing also is that her right leg is pointing outside. If she's rotating clockwise she's rotating towards her right leg while when she's rotating counterclockwise, she's rotating away from her right leg. Rotating towards her right leg just looks really awkward for me compared to when she's rotating away from her right leg, she just looks like she's dancing gracefully with a free spirit.

(EDIT) Wait there. I just discovered something odd. When she's rotating counterclockwise, her left leg is actually the one pointing outside. While when she's rotating clockwise, it is her right leg that is pointing outside. What the?

Confused Confused

The same also goes with her hands. JESUS CHRIST. Shocked

Actually when I looked at the individual frames, it actually makes sense. It depends on whether she's facing front or facing back.

It's funny how our mind plays tricks on us. Laughing

I think it actually depends on what is our first impression on her. Is she facing front or facing back?
As soon as page loads, I perceive of her as facing the back. I think, we actually change our perception when we refresh our thought and refigure which way she is facing such as also the time when we blink or when we put our eyes to some other place.
chatrack
Hi,
I see her as turning right only. After trying to make mind, I could see as left turn, but that vision was not stable. With simple watching it is turning right (clockwise while looking from top).

Is it meant any thing about the brain chemistry?
Bikerman
Not brain chemistry, no.