FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPhone as a GoPhone!

ProwerBot
IDK where to put this.

You can buy an iPhone off ebay aswell as a gophone sim card, and once you activate the sim card (IMEI numbers are all zeros) you can put it in the iPhone and it works like that. Add a gophone airtime card and call their number to add your services.. its 19.99 for unlimited texting, 4.99 for 200 or 9.99 for 1000 messages. Data charges it is 4.99 for 1mb or 19.99 for 100mb. And without a calling plan it is 25 cents per minute but there are other plans. So the plan is a little bit more expensive than an actual contract, but if you don't use your phone very much this would be an awesome chance to have an iPhone (: I'm going to do this this year.
Nemesis234
ProwerBot wrote:
if you don't use your phone very much this would be an awesome chance to have an iPhone

lol, i must be missing something. why bother getting one of the most expensive phones when you wont be using it that much? wont a much cheaper one be fine for the odd text/call?
meep
I think he means this is a great chance if you have an iPhone and you don't use you normal phone much Smile.
ProwerBot
Nemesis234 wrote:
ProwerBot wrote:
if you don't use your phone very much this would be an awesome chance to have an iPhone

lol, i must be missing something. why bother getting one of the most expensive phones when you wont be using it that much? wont a much cheaper one be fine for the odd text/call?

Well more like if you want an iPod touch and you also need the functionality as a cell phone this is a rather cheap way of doing it. The 4gb iPhone (not a lot of space, but it's probably fine for most users....) goes for maybe $130 on ebay. Could probably get an 8gb touch for that, but I'd rather get the iPhone.
Ankhanu
ProwerBot wrote:
Nemesis234 wrote:
ProwerBot wrote:

Well more like if you want an iPod touch and you also need the functionality as a cell phone this is a rather cheap way of doing it. The 4gb iPhone (not a lot of space, but it's probably fine for most users....) goes for maybe $130 on ebay. Could probably get an 8gb touch for that, but I'd rather get the iPhone.

1st gen iPhones (ie. 4Gb) are rubbish... you're better off spending that $130 on a newer iPod Touch.

If you're not going to use the iPhone much, you're WAY better off using an iPod Touch, and using some of the VoIP clients out there for phone calls over WiFi. If you absolutely need cell coverage for your iPhone/iPod, and can't just use a cheap phone and an iPod, you're better off getting a contract; you can get them for ~$50/mo. with 500Mb of data, and a decent voice and SMS plan. 4.99 for 1mb or 19.99 for 100mb is ridiculously expensive for data, and the iPhone will let you eat that up in a day if you're not watching what you're doing. If you're mostly on WiFi, 100Mb will easily last you a month... but in that case, why get an iPhone when an iPod Touch would serve you just as well for much less?
ProwerBot
Ankhanu wrote:
ProwerBot wrote:
Nemesis234 wrote:
ProwerBot wrote:

1st gen iPhones (ie. 4Gb) are rubbish... you're better off spending that $130 on a newer iPod Touch.

If you're not going to use the iPhone much, you're WAY better off using an iPod Touch, and using some of the VoIP clients out there for phone calls over WiFi. If you absolutely need cell coverage for your iPhone/iPod, and can't just use a cheap phone and an iPod, you're better off getting a contract; you can get them for ~$50/mo. with 500Mb of data, and a decent voice and SMS plan. 4.99 for 1mb or 19.99 for 100mb is ridiculously expensive for data, and the iPhone will let you eat that up in a day if you're not watching what you're doing. If you're mostly on WiFi, 100Mb will easily last you a month... but in that case, why get an iPhone when an iPod Touch would serve you just as well for much less?

My point is if you need the functionality of a phone that works everywhere and you want the functionality of an iPod, but you do not want a contract and you probably won't use the phone so much, this is a good idea.