FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Smartphones, how do they compare?

mk12327
It is getting more prevalent nowadays to converge functions of other devices into the mobile phone. And these phones are dubbed the "Smartphones". With the current trend moving towards smartphones, there are many brands and models to choose from. How do they compare? What are the main things to look out for when buying a smartphone?

For myself, I look at the capabilities of the phone, speed of using its applications, number of truly useful applications, and battery life.

Capabilities and functions are important factors because different smartphones might be targeting different group of audience and thus might not suit your needs.

Speed determines how much latency time, since we all know that most humans are impatient.

Iphone boosts 100,000+ applications available for download in their online store, but how many of these are truly useful? Once again, if they don't fulfill the needs, off they go!

Last but not least, battery life. Mobile phones are used on the go, in fact they are more often used than a laptop when outside. Without a good battery life, you soon need a spare battery or a power socket.
Jean-Clod
I completely agree with you, saying you look at the number of useful apps, and speed using those apps.

but I don't fully understand what you mean by saying "capabilities"; is hardware part of those capabilities? then I also completely agree. If not, hardware is also a crucial point when buying a phone - especially a smartphone

but I don't think battery life is really important. (and I don't consider it hardware-related)
I mean, nowadays, smartphones being connected, faster and faster, we must accept the fact that these must be charged at least once every day, if not more when fully using them (wifi, 3g,...)
digitalhaze
I agree that the ability to be connected 24/7 is much more accessible than it was. The fact that we have to constantly charge our phones is annoying, but must be accepted. There are SO many options nowadays, it's hard to distinguish your purchase down to ONE factor.

I look at the speed of the processor and the connectivity, because for me, speed is everything. Multimedia is a big deal too, and that's why the Android platform completely takes the cake in the smartphone industry.
Jean-Clod
digitalhaze wrote:
I agree that the ability to be connected 24/7 is much more accessible than it was. The fact that we have to constantly charge our phones is annoying, but must be accepted. There are SO many options nowadays, it's hard to distinguish your purchase down to ONE factor.

I look at the speed of the processor and the connectivity, because for me, speed is everything. Multimedia is a big deal too, and that's why the Android platform completely takes the cake in the smartphone industry.

Exactly! Nothing more to add.
mk12327
Jean-Clod wrote:
I completely agree with you, saying you look at the number of useful apps, and speed using those apps.

but I don't fully understand what you mean by saying "capabilities"; is hardware part of those capabilities? then I also completely agree. If not, hardware is also a crucial point when buying a phone - especially a smartphone

but I don't think battery life is really important. (and I don't consider it hardware-related)
I mean, nowadays, smartphones being connected, faster and faster, we must accept the fact that these must be charged at least once every day, if not more when fully using them (wifi, 3g,...)

Yes, capabilities is referring to physical abilities, inclusive of hardware. I do agree that we get to charge our mobile phones very easily at home, but what about those who live in countries where electricity cost a bomb? (I heard the electricity is pretty expensive in Europe) Or people who travel alot? Personally, I find it very troublesome and especially annoying when I am outside, with no power socket (or charger with me) and my battery goes flat. We had been so pampered with technology that once our mobile phone is down, we feel uneasy and helpless. So for me, battery life is quite important.
mk12327
digitalhaze wrote:

You mentioned something I missed out - Connectivity. This is why I love forums so much, we get useful and fresh ideas every now and then. Not sure about other countries, costs of using 3G in my country had dropped pretty much. So much to the extent that I it very affordable to get data usage. Many are moving towards video streaming and web browsing using 3G. To save money, especially if your country has lots of access points to Internet, Wifi is an important connectivity feature too. Bluetooth seems like it is starting to be neglected though.

As an additional information, I found this article dated 2009 that analyses the smartphone market. Not sure if anyone would find it useful or interesting though... http://clients.needhamco.com/Research/Documents/INDN108306.pdf