FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Alternatives to Virtualbox for Ubuntu

ralcantara

* Xen (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Xen) is the Ubuntu-supported virtualization platform used for cloud computing. it is the basis for the Amazon EC2 cloud.

* Another Ubuntu-supported virtualization system is called KVM (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM). It is officially supported, but is somewhat harder to set up for the average user. It also requires hardware virtualisation extensions in your CPU.

* VMware (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VMware) is a proprietary alternative, with a free virtual machine player available. A free server for Linux can also be found.

* QEMU (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Qemu) is the original virtualization system, on which Virtualbox and KVM are based. It is completely open source and can be used with or without the virtualization hooks found in many new processors.

It is possible to convert virtual machines between these systems (but it is sometimes a time consuming process). A new "open virtualization format" has been created that can be used in several alternative virtual machines.
Fire Boar
... or you could just use Virtualbox itself.
HalfBloodPrince
.. I agree with Fire Boar Shocked
metalfreek
Virtualbox is good but I will give it a shot as well.
ProfessorY91
HalfBloodPrince wrote:

I also agree with Fireboar. Shocked
menino
Virtualbox is quite good, but I saw that Xenserver is quite powerful.

Virtualbox is easy to install though.. Not sure that it supports 64-bit OS's.

Good Luck.
Fire Boar
Xen is powerful, but requires tinkering with the kernel (probably automatic). VirtualBox is better for just trying stuff out.
jilbs
i agree with everyone. Go virtualbox. ^_^, i will reformat my desktop from seven to fedora 13,. and install virtualbox for windows seven after.. Smile
mugundhan
For free of cost
Nothing can beat Virtualbox. but Vmware rule the market
Iguleder
+1 for VirtualBox, but I use Qemu for all relatively simple virtualization tasks.
alugueldelanchaangra
Xen is very good
but VirtualBox is also good
flatliner
ProfessorY91 wrote:
HalfBloodPrince wrote:

I also agree with Fireboar. Shocked

I also agree.
Virtual Box makes life simple.
the-guide
Lack of effort, I got hard time using both so I gave up and never try using Ubuntu again. Laughing
flatliner
the-guide wrote:
never try using Ubuntu again. Laughing

Your missing out, Ubuntu 10.04 is the best operating system I have ever used as my main development environment. And I have been using windows since 3.1, used Mac for a time 2 and about 2 years ago settled on Ubuntu after Vista broke on me after 4 month of usage.
the-guide
flatliner wrote:
Your missing out, Ubuntu 10.04 is the best operating system I have ever used as my main development environment.

Really? May be I have to try it once, I think I need more attempt. Laughing

Thank you very much for your advice "flatliner".
flatliner
the-guide wrote:
Thank you very much for your advice "flatliner".

No problem, yes Ubuntu rocks these days, so fast and never hangs or crashs. Check out my blog I write about Ubuntu there and next month will be doing a series on application/Game development for Ubuntu 10.04