FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Point Preview?

kutekitten
I'm not quite sure of the problems that might arise from this (such as more spam?), but I thought it could be useful to show how many points you would receive by submitting a post before actually submitting it. It might lead to more quality posts, because people would strive to have longer posts...
Bondings
The problem is that it would need to be calculated by Javascript. And I don't have much experience with javascript, especially not such a thing which would need quite some code. So it's a good idea, but unfortunately too hard to implement.
kutekitten
Ah, okay, I wasn't aware of the coding needed.
rvec
Maybe somone could write the javascript, post it here so everyone could take a look at it and then you could implement it? I think there'll be at least a couple of users who could do that.
Ghost Rider103
That would be a pretty cool feature, especially if you could do it for both points and frih$ at the same time.

But I'm wondering if it would actually encourage better posting, or if it would just encourage more spam. I think I can see it going both ways.

Too bad it's a bit hard to do, this is a really cool idea. If Bondings is up for it, like Rvec said, I'm sure there are a few users here who could do such a thing.
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
But I'm wondering if it would actually encourage better posting, or if it would just encourage more spam. I think I can see it going both ways.

Perhaps just some guidelines for good (high-point) posts to the right of the text area on the posting page would be better.

If the point allotment algorithm was perfect, having a point preview would be just fine, but otherwise, it makes it easier to exploit weak points in the algorithm.
meep
Isn't there a function in the php that calculates the amount of points?
that can then be converted to javascript to preview points right?

Or alternatively you could modify the preview post function to also show how much points you will gain without allocating them, atleast that's what I think.
Nemesis234
it shouldnt be hard to code out the javascript

it may take some time to integrate it with the forum tho

but i must ask, why bother? points are only there to keep your hosting, aslong as you post atleast once a day there is no chance of you running out of points. if you know how many points you need and you can see your post isnt going to be long enough you can just blab another 2 sentences which dont add anything.

you see this? i didnt need this and it doesnt add anything, but if you read what i said it makes sense and stuff. i could keep going, aslong as the stuff i wrote above is ok its unlikly this bit down the bottom will get flagged as spam so i just doubled my points now, wont need to post for another 4 days now...

at the end of the day, you can edit posts anyway if you want to bulk it out for more points, but if you have said all you want to say surely the points you get are the points you get?
kutekitten
Nemesis234 wrote:
it shouldnt be hard to code out the javascript

it may take some time to integrate it with the forum tho

but i must ask, why bother? points are only there to keep your hosting, aslong as you post atleast once a day there is no chance of you running out of points. if you know how many points you need and you can see your post isnt going to be long enough you can just blab another 2 sentences which dont add anything.

you see this? i didnt need this and it doesnt add anything, but if you read what i said it makes sense and stuff. i could keep going, aslong as the stuff i wrote above is ok its unlikly this bit down the bottom will get flagged as spam so i just doubled my points now, wont need to post for another 4 days now...

at the end of the day, you can edit posts anyway if you want to bulk it out for more points, but if you have said all you want to say surely the points you get are the points you get?

It's not really something that would be considered necessary, it's just something that would be nice for those members who are unsure of how long their posts are going to be, or are unsure about how much content they need to make a certain number of posts.

ocalhoun wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Perhaps just some guidelines for good (high-point) posts to the right of the text area on the posting page would be better.

If the point allotment algorithm was perfect, having a point preview would be just fine, but otherwise, it makes it easier to exploit weak points in the algorithm.

I like that, I was unaware that there were weak points in the algorithm... But guidelines could provide the same type of quality posts...
Helios
I'm not sure if it's a good idea. A good estimation of the amount of points to be earned can be made rather easily anyway. Plus I don't like the idea that the action of posting might become point-based... what happens today, I think, is that users don't look a lot on their points counter, they simply post for the sake of it and that's good IMO.
Another thing that was mentioned is exploiting the algorithm, users not just might but probably will find those weak spots and exploit them. Users will probably write worse posts too, by expanding their posts to reach that 5 point goal... IMO short posts should stay as planned, short that is.
deanhills
I don't understand the need for wanting to know how many points one has before submitting a post. If one feels one doesn't have enough points for the post, one can easily edit it and add a sentence?

In a case where there is a competition or need to know the number of points it would be a different matter, such as knowing the number of words for a piece of prose that is being submitted for a competition. For Frihost however I'm happy with the current points system. I especially like that we have points, as that is an indication as well of how much we are posting. The more stats the better. I was also hoping we could have comparitive stats at the bottom of the page, saying how many postings we have had per day, per week, per month, per year, etc., and especially how many postings to go to 1-million, the latter being the one I would love to see the most.