FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Series: How to create your own country?

Bondings
This topic is a placeholder for a series of topics related to the creation of a country, with a good part about the creation of an artificial island. There are a lot of interesting aspects related to it.

These posts of course do not cover the more traditional ways of creating a country, like overthrowing an existing government or conquering some land.

Part 1: Attempts at creating a country.

Part 2: Creation of a floating island.

Part 3: Other ways to create a territory.

Part 4: Aspects and problems with creating a country.

Please note that it may take quite a while for all the posts to be created. Wink
deanhills
Sounds exciting Bondings. I've always wished to move to an Island, but then to get away from people, not to take them with me? Smile

Would be interesting however to explore the founding of a "Government" from scratch. Hopefully with as little Government as possible.

This is not an ideal example, from an "apartheid" content point of view, but objectively seen, may be an interesting example of a group of people buying their own territory and starting their own Government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orania,_Northern_Cape
polly-gone
I read about starting a country once in some book on how to do awesome things. I think it would be really interesting to see your take on the whole process. I know that one example it gave was starting a country on an unclaimed island in international waters. Like if a new volcano suddenly erupted 4 miles off of Hawaii (since international waters are 3 miles out), a group of people in Hawaii could go claim the island once it forms and start a new country there. I think the whole concept is pretty cool.

-Nick Cool Cool Cool
Bondings
polly-gone wrote:
I read about starting a country once in some book on how to do awesome things. I think it would be really interesting to see your take on the whole process. I know that one example it gave was starting a country on an unclaimed island in international waters. Like if a new volcano suddenly erupted 4 miles off of Hawaii (since international waters are 3 miles out), a group of people in Hawaii could go claim the island once it forms and start a new country there. I think the whole concept is pretty cool.

-Nick Cool Cool Cool

It would be claimed by the closest country, especially if it is inside territorial waters. An island is rather valuable, for things like fishing rights. This won't work unless you bring an army and in that case it would rather be conquering the island.
polly-gone
Hmm... that does make more sense. Well, then again, I didn't actually READ that book, I kinda just skimmed it.

Regardless, seems like an interesting topic. Smile

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
Bondings
By the way, international waters aren't 3 miles out. The figures are disputed, but territorial waters are about 12 miles and the influence zone can be over 100 miles. So for undisputed claims you probably need to be way beyond 100 miles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters
Xanify
That would be pretty awesome. This reminds me of that guy who declared his oil rig a private country or something, a few years ago.
Cliffer
get guns,make a war. if win,we can create a new country!
HalfBloodPrince
Cliffer wrote:

Yeah, that strategy has worked brilliantly in the world so far! Very Happy
deanhills
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
Cliffer wrote:

Yeah, that strategy has worked brilliantly in the world so far! Very Happy
But aren't we talking about "conquer" rather than create a new country? The latter is more like a takeover?

For me to create a country would be to find a large property first, maybe an island somewhere in the middle of the Oceans. Then explore it to see whether it has any possibilities for being inhabited. Then probably look for people who would be interested to settle in it and raise funds.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:

For me to create a country would be to find a large property first, maybe an island somewhere in the middle of the Oceans. Then explore it to see whether it has any possibilities for being inhabited. Then probably look for people who would be interested to settle in it and raise funds.

If you could find a practical reason to live in Antarctica -- Mining valuable minerals, perhaps -- you could have a whole continent. Last time I checked, there are some parts of it that are still completely unclaimed, and the parts that are claimed won't be very inhabited or defended.
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:

If you could find a practical reason to live in Antarctica -- Mining valuable minerals, perhaps -- you could have a whole continent. Last time I checked, there are some parts of it that are still completely unclaimed, and the parts that are claimed won't be very inhabited or defended.

Antarctica is under heavy treaties for no exploitation and no actual territory of countries. This will unfortunately not work.

The only options I see are artificial islands, living on the sea bottom (deep and far from all countries), living inside the earth (most likely beneath the ocean, otherwise countries might claim the land below them) and off-earth like the Moon and Mars.
deanhills
Bondings wrote:
living on the sea bottom (deep and far from all countries),
Now that has my attention. Like one of the Bond movie "baddies" did in "Moonraker". That would have to be an amazing experience. Smile
smit_alumni
Well, history has it kill the King and claim the Throne!! thats a classic case of getting of your country.
But if want to start from scratch i suggest you start hunting for some dying billionaire who has no heir so that you can probably land into one of islands, belongs to no country, this island was bought by his diseased father bought for his 18th birthday. Hell of a birthday gift!!
Hey this topic is kinda interesting!!
Bikerman
Some more ideas....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Start_Your_Own_Country_%28TV_series%29
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:

Antarctica is under heavy treaties for no exploitation and no actual territory of countries. This will unfortunately not work.

Thankfully, our brand new country hasn't signed any treaties yet.
polly-gone
ocalhoun wrote:
Bondings wrote:

Thankfully, our brand new country hasn't signed any treaties yet.

I was just thinking that. The countries that signed the treaties can't exploit it, but us, the average citizens who have enough money to start a country Frihostia, can start one there. There is actually one legitimate company that is selling tracts of land on the Moon just in case we ever colonize it. I forget which hotel, maybe the Hilton, bought up a couple thousand acres so they can build a moon hotel if we ever get to that point. It's pretty hilarious.

Nick Smile Smile Smile
joostvane
An interesting historical story about Sealand, an oil platform close to Brittain. The country even got 'hijacked' once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand

This was the 'country' The Pirate Bay tried to buy to place their servers and evade copyrights.
the-guide
Interesting project!

Bondings wrote:
.... and off-earth like the Moon and Mars.

Sounds like the fantastic scenario but this way may be the reality in nearly future and may be we can buy it from NASA instead create it ourselves. May be... yeah... may be.. but so wonder, who know how much its cost? Rolling Eyes

But oh! I think I have to wake up, right now? Laughing

Don't serious.... Laughing

ocalhoun
joostvane wrote:

This was the 'country' The Pirate Bay tried to buy to place their servers and evade copyrights.

An excellent idea, actually... I wonder if another country would stoop to invading it to enforce copyrights?
slashnburn99
This has been done have a look here and also on youtube or BBC TV

http://www.citizensrequired.com/unit/site/index.shtml
mexiwithacan
I would think it would be easier to start the "country" as a commune or other kind of intentional community until enough people have gathered under the banner of the community that it can truly attempt to "apply" for or give itself de facto independence.

I think just like with any other project, it's better to start small and then build up.
cr3ativ3
Why are we looking to seperate our selves from the world even further... Would it not be wiser to consolidate, and save resources time and energy to produce a more efficient society globally with equal rights?

Just a thought Very Happy
Blaster
In order to create your own country you will need several steps.

First you must figure out where you want to create your country. Location is key. You want to pick a climate that is right for you. You should keep in mind what you would like to do with your country. You may also want to figure out what your country is going to do to sustain it self. Remember you have to eat.

After you figure out where you want to create your country you have to figure out what kind of country you want it to look like. Do you want it to be an island or a desert. Do you want mountains or flat lands. Again you must keep in mind what you want to do in your country. Mountains are good for viewing and snow boarding but beach's are good for surfing and fishing. Again you must think about sustainability.

After you do these steps you must figure out who you want to live in your country. Do you want rich celebrities to live there or do you want the slums of West Philadelphia? The people that live there can impact how other countries view you so keep this in mind. However you need some people to do the crappy jobs so don't for get about that.

After you figure out who you want to live there you should figure out who you want to run your country. You can't enjoy a country if you have to be the one running it. You should only have to ok the big decisions. Who cares if we need to paint the green fence again. You must make sure that the people of your country like the runners of your country. If not they may over through you. If this happens your in deep doo dee. It may be best to let the people chose with you having the ultimate say.

After you have set up a good system of people to run your country you may want to be hanging out with other people that have counties. Your in that club now you know? You need to figure out how you can help each other out. Remember that little thing I talked about with sustainability? Yea this is where this kicks in. We all need to help each other out so we can survive. No one wants to eat just bananas or drive just Ford F 150s. We want a variety so to do this we need to interact.

After this is done you may want to start building up an army. After all Steve's country is looking pretty angry at you. With out a good army you may fall quickly. You want to stay in this for the long run now. You want to keep the army at a certain point away from the people who run the country though. Other wise they may over throw them which just turns into a big mess and no one likes cleaning up messes.

After all of this you should allow your politicians to do there job. All of the major work is done. However you should keep an eye on them, they like to look out for them selves rather than the whole country. Make sure they create good schools and such. If they do this the country should be self sustaining. This will allow for the rise or engineers and such to build up your country to make it bigger and better.

This is just a simple guide at creating your own country. This is not a full proof system and has some flaws. Please look over carefully before deciding to do this. Failure may occur and is not a problem of I.
Ghost900
Does cost of creating your own country fall in the "Part 4: Aspects and problems with creating a country." section?

I am interested in starting my own country in the middle of nowhere. If I became popular I could come back as a diplomat for the US.

I think I would go with a deep see bottom country as I am fascinated with the deep sea. Very Happy

Location is key, hmm where would I want to set up. As far as sustaining, I will trade with the other countries around me or turn to be a pirate and take over cargo boats. Very Happy
deanhills
Ghost900 wrote:
I think I would go with a deep see bottom country as I am fascinated with the deep sea. Very Happy
This project would probably require the input of a few billionnaires, so probably first thing would be to market the idea. So I would try and get an architect to put a dummy together. Then check out a location, maybe somewhere not easy to find, but not too far from civilization, such as in the James Bond movies. Maybe it could be part of a property that is already owned by one of the billionnaires. Then check it out from a weather and oceanography point of view. And then put it forward as a proposal for campaigning for support and funds. I would limit the campaigning to a select group of people so as to make it exclusive. Smile
Mrs Lycos
Does it say anywhere that it should be on Earth? Actually I was just reading a science fiction short story "proxima Centauri" by Murray Leinster. Here we have a huge spaceship, where a group of 300 people could live on for a trip of years (7 in the story, but it says it could hold even longer) towards our closest star, Alpha Centauri.
What was most ingenious is that it described (we're talking of it being written in 1935) all required for this ship with many details. For the size of the ship, it was declared legally a "world" in itself, and the Captain was in fact the person who hold the power to make laws and enforce them.
The ship was so big it could hold 200 hectares for crops, with organic waste as fertilizer, and plants were a source of O2 and carbohidrate rich vegetables.
I think this is a great way of creating a country for yourself, as well as getting ready in case of any natural disasters or human-made catastrophes in the world.
It could be orbiting the Earth so that everybody could enjoy things on the planet - at least for as long as they last Wink
deanhills
Mrs Lycos wrote:
Does it say anywhere that it should be on Earth? Actually I was just reading a science fiction short story "proxima Centauri" by Murray Leinster. Here we have a huge spaceship, where a group of 300 people could live on for a trip of years (7 in the story, but it says it could hold even longer) towards our closest star, Alpha Centauri.
What was most ingenious is that it described (we're talking of it being written in 1935) all required for this ship with many details. For the size of the ship, it was declared legally a "world" in itself, and the Captain was in fact the person who hold the power to make laws and enforce them.
The ship was so big it could hold 200 hectares for crops, with organic waste as fertilizer, and plants were a source of O2 and carbohidrate rich vegetables.
I think this is a great way of creating a country for yourself, as well as getting ready in case of any natural disasters or human-made catastrophes in the world.
It could be orbiting the Earth so that everybody could enjoy things on the planet - at least for as long as they last Wink
An excellent idea. Wasn't there something like that in one of the James Bond movies, Moonraker? Except your suggestion is an improvement over that. Smile
socceraggie
I think you will see countries trying to colonize the bottom of the ocean or underwater areas before we begin colonizing other planets. In that case you would still have to deal with territorial waters. If the nearest country did not like you there it would be pretty easy for them to destroy the fragile ecosystem in which the underwater lair would reside.
Mrs Lycos
The good thing about having such a ship, is that you could travel anywhere if it's autonomous, without depending on Earth - only for entertainment and such things. If anything happened on Earth, you could go and find somewhere else to live, or live forever in space...
Also, just remembering Pandorum- and so many other scifi films around- there's always a genetic bank with all the code for lifeforms in the planet so that it could be re-created somewhere else, a sort of Ark to preserve known life.
timothymartin
Creating a country is easy.. its just a state or states of mind. Wink
mahirh
go buy a piece of land in Malaysia or wherever you you have property rights from the earth core like in Malaysia , that is why its often very difficult to build tunnels and such things there because they can only build it under government land or roads
nah022
i think we don't have to , i just wanna ti live with people i love not to make my own country and islands
nigam
yeah...buy a piece of land or island and then, let those unfortunate ones live with it and work with you...i guess, in this small island, you owned it and thinking you have owned small country Smile
ocalhoun
timothymartin wrote:
Creating a country is easy.. its just a state or states of mind. Wink

That is, until the tax-men or the law-men of the country you actually live in come knocking...
The-Nisk
really don't see why big companies like Intel or Apple haven't done it yet...

oh god, just thought what if Apple do it first...jesus....i can already picture those annoying ads...
mahirh
Bondings wrote:
By the way, international waters aren't 3 miles out. The figures are disputed, but territorial waters are about 12 miles and the influence zone can be over 100 miles. So for undisputed claims you probably need to be way beyond 100 miles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_waters

then , i would rether create one near antartica on a iceberg , i could row it out of territorial waters and then i will go and fish on it , but its only made for ten people
fate_merchant
Blaster wrote:
You may also want to figure out what your country is going to do to sustain it self. Remember you have to eat.

The word "culture" comes from the Latin "culturare" and means "to grow food."

Culture is a food driven concept and vital to maintaining community. People are social animals which depend on community.

The idea of "country" is more difficult, but I'd argue that it is not synonymous with government.

The nations we commonly take for granted today are a product of colonialism, and colonialism always involves one culture subjugating, at the least, another. It's a violent and hostile process.

But what do we mean when we refer to a "country"? This is, perhaps, and little more messy. It's etymologically related to contra or opposite, that which is "out there." Implicit, then, is a territorial sense, that which a person sees and so seizes or claims.

This claiming contains both negative and positive characteristics.

For the negative, read Ismail Kadare's Broken April. This is a novel which explores the Albanian blood feud as based upon ancient laws known as Kanun. The novel builds around a stranger who is killed on the boundary of someone's property, but since he falls backwards instead of forwards, the owner of the property is required to avenge the killing, and this tit for tat cycle of killing then continues for generations. But don't blame Albanians. This cyclical murder happens globally.

On the positive side, a sense of territorial responsibility indicates stewardship with a goal of leaving good and fertile land to descendants. In this sense, people strive to leave the earth in better shape than they find it, and everyone, we would hope, benefits.

I tend to believe that we can work together to create a country wherever we stand, and if the one to which we are currently subject fails in any regard, then we have a duty to ignore it.

To return to culture, we have to begin with what is local, a family garden, and then we broaden that by sharing with those who are near. If any country is to survive, it has to have a strong foundation based upon food production.

Okay, so this is just a sketch, but I'd like to presume that it workable. We should be able to secede without drawing any undue attention, and the hunker down and make country happen.

Grow food and make what is needed with what is at hand. Country will come out of that.
goldennick
I saw that some people are selling Moon surface. They should start to build a moon country too. When there will be technical possible to live on Moon, that country would have some laws and other social structures.
fuzzkaizer
now if this thread becomes too popular there's only the moonraker option left to take...
fuzzkaizer
Wait, there are some new islands forming themselves out of plastic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Garbage_Patch
There should also be great garbage patches of several millions of tons of plastic circulating in the Pacific and the Indian Ocean... "The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, also described as the Pacific Trash Vortex, is a gyre of marine litter in the central North Pacific Ocean located roughly between 135W to 155W and 35N to 42N" (wikipedia)
Doesn't sound romantic, but maybe one could try to populate those quite big areas somehow?
ocalhoun
fuzzkaizer wrote:

Doesn't sound romantic, but maybe one could try to populate those quite big areas somehow?

Better wait for them to build up more first. They're still a long way from being dense enough to actually stand on, much less build things on.
At the moment, they're just big patches of seawater with unusually high concentrations of plastic mixed in... most of the plastic pieces being very small.
socceraggie wrote:
I think you will see countries trying to colonize the bottom of the ocean or underwater areas before we begin colonizing other planets. In that case you would still have to deal with territorial waters. If the nearest country did not like you there it would be pretty easy for them to destroy the fragile ecosystem in which the underwater lair would reside.

Yep, destruction of your undersea home is only a few carefully-set depth charges away.
fuzzkaizer
Quote:

Better wait for them to build up more first

There should be a possibility to help them building themselves, like a construction that speeds up the process, some fence and lattice or whatever...
simple-thought
cr3ativ3 wrote:
Why are we looking to seperate our selves from the world even further... Would it not be wiser to consolidate, and save resources time and energy to produce a more efficient society globally with equal rights?

Just a thought Very Happy

Totally agree with you!
chasbeen
If I was answering the question in the 13th century:
If given the option by 2 warring super powers...

In the 13th Century Guernsey Island was given the chance to show Allegiance to France (30 miles away) or England 75 miles away.
It chose England but with the provision that they were self governing.
Today they are reassuringly English but are really their own country.
It's lovely to see, I just got back from my 2nd life time visit.

While there Herm island of Guernsey was visited and they are self governing too!

Population of Herm 65
Population of Guernsey 65 000
Population of uk 65 000 000

Answering the question in the 21ST century: Find a piece of rock and lay claim. It might be a few feet across, then reclaim from the sea by shipping in materials to do so...