FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Exiting Windows the Cool and Quick Way

WS001
Normally it takes a hell lot of time just Shutting down Windows, you have to move your mouse to the Start Button, click on it, move it again over Shut Down, click, then move it over the necessary option and click, then move the cursor over the OK button and once again (you guessed it) click.This whole process can be shortened by creating shortcuts on the Desktop which will shut down Windows at the click of a button. Start by creating a new shortcut( right click and select New> Shortcut). Then in the command line box, type (without the quotes.)

'C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindowsexec'

This Shortcut on clicking will restart Windows immediately without any Warning. To create a Shortcut to Restarting Windows, type the following in the Command Line box:

'c:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows'

This Shortcut on clicking will shut down Windows immediately without any Warning.
ProwerBot
I didn't really think the process of shutting down was very long at all. Though I guess because I'm used to crappy computers so...
rickylau
You may not know I can shut my computer down with one gentle touch on the power button (i'm not saying directly cut down the power) - Just navigate to power options and Windows will let you to set so. If you are still tired of moving mouse (though you can do so by keyboard too, i guess so), go get a keyboard with a little power button. Far a lot easier right? Laughing
Fire Boar
Or just switch it off at the wall if you're that fussed about turning off quickly. Very Happy

Okay, that might not be a great plan because of writes that may not have been flushed yet: you may lose some data. But by default, every operating system and every power button these days (Windows XP and up, and every Linux since about 7 years ago) is configured to send an ACPI event when pressed (not held) to signal a shutdown. But for Windows boxes, at least with XP, the key combination Meta, U, U is not particularly hard to remember and is faster than double-clicking on a desktop shortcut.
weableandbob
Windows has never taken a long time to shut down for me, but maybe this will come in handy once bit rot kicks in.
Flakky
rickylau wrote:
You may not know I can shut my computer down with one gentle touch on the power button (i'm not saying directly cut down the power) - Just navigate to power options and Windows will let you to set so. If you are still tired of moving mouse (though you can do so by keyboard too, i guess so), go get a keyboard with a little power button. Far a lot easier right? Laughing

I turn off my computer by keyboard. I hit Windows+D to go to my desktop and when the focus is on my desktop you can Alt+f4 for the shutdown dialogue. Then hit enter to select the standard option (turn off).

I turn it off between 1 and 2 seconds depending on how busy the cpu is at that moment. Very Happy
deanhills
I think I would have preferred the starting up to be expedited, that sometimes take longer than I would want to, but the exiting time is OK for me. Also feels "safe", as I'm sure the steps all involve processes that would safeguard the hard disk? Like when one removes a flash disk?
Fire Boar
deanhills wrote:
I think I would have preferred the starting up to be expedited, that sometimes take longer than I would want to, but the exiting time is OK for me. Also feels "safe", as I'm sure the steps all involve processes that would safeguard the hard disk? Like when one removes a flash disk?

Exactly right, what happens is the operating system starts rejecting write requests to the disk, while itself finishing any changes (which it tends to delay for performance reasons). That's why if you shut down hard, you might lose data that you only recently saved. However, hitting the power switch or running the shutdown command via a terminal or some other way of powering off that doesn't just cut the power is quite safe: however you do a shutdown, in the end you trigger a shutdown event, which the operating system handles the same no matter how you did it, and does all the necessary things.